BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing the thread about the salesmen reminded me of something I haven't seen mentioned here....bad sales lines. What have you heard that's really bad, annoying, stupid, or you just don't care to hear?

My number one annoying sales line is: " if we can do XZY do we have a deal today?"

Of course I wanna say, if you can do XYZ today, you can do it tomorrow.

Anyone else?

· M Mad
10,530 Posts
Realize that sales people make money by selling. Experience shows that once you walk out the door, you are likely to NOT come back. Thus the pressure to try and sell you NOW.

Do the job for a while and see what lines you end up using. :)

· Drives cars for a living!
7,226 Posts
I work in the automotive industry, and once in a while I go to the dealership to look at a production car. It's always fun to act like a customer to see how much our dealers really know about the car. Sometime the crap that comes out of their mouth makes me laugh in histeria....then I hand the salesman my business card! :thumbup: They get a little bit upset that I wasted a half hour of their time, but usually it's "the new guy." The older guys that recognize me tell "the new guy" to take me as I walk through the door. It's a ritual about every 3 months or so. :rofl:

· OMGWTFBBQ
12,406 Posts
First ones that come to mind...

"You can always paint it a different color."

"You wouldn't like shifting for yourself."

"I can make a you a deal so good, you'll be happier than if she sucked you off." (Gesturing to the bombshell bimbo receptionist.)

"This car will get you more ***** than Wilt the Stilt."

"It's never been in a crash."

"It's supposed to be that way."

· totally
531 Posts
My favorite is the "let me talk to my manager".

Of course, when they come back from speaking with their 'manager', anything that has been said or terms that have been agreed to are now null and void.

· Not Wearing Pants
18,858 Posts
Niftster said:
Seeing the thread about the salesmen reminded me of something I haven't seen mentioned here....bad sales lines. What have you heard that's really bad, annoying, stupid, or you just don't care to hear?

My number one annoying sales line is: " if we can do XZY do we have a deal today?"

Of course I wanna say, if you can do XYZ today, you can do it tomorrow.

Anyone else?
worst line and I hear it at 90% of the places I've looked:

"You want to get an automatic because resale on a manual is horrible."

[email protected], I'm not paying $1200 extra to hate every second I'm in my car.

· call me darkcloud
46,737 Posts
iateyourcheese said:
The "What can I do to get you in this car today?" line.

: puke:
Seriously, the last time I was on a lot was when my best friend was buying his Pathfinder and the guy said that. My answer "Well, if you unlock it that would be a good start."

· I do'nt make mistakes.
13,832 Posts
iateyourcheese said:
The "What can I do to get you in this car today?" line.

: puke:
:stupid: I've heard that line so much, I have a standard reply "well, you could give it to me for free." Somehow, that always kills the conversation.

When I'm just window-shopping with no intention to buy and get some pressure, my reply is "I can't make any decisions without the wife present or she would divorce me." Most just nod. Of course, I'm not married, but they don't need to know that.

· Registered
194 Posts
I'd say that to go along with "What can I do to get you in this car today?" would be:

"How much do you want to spend?"

When the last guy asked me that when shopping for my current car, I just laughed at the guy and said "As little as possible, obviously!" derr!

· swinging a big stick
4,050 Posts
I went to a Subaru dealer to test drive a WRX for fun back in 2003. However, the demo was out on a test drive. The salesguy told me that a base Forrester is more fun to drive so why dont I try that one out instead? :confused:

· SPF 100 Protection
10,251 Posts
528i said:
My favorite is the "let me talk to my manager".

Of course, when they come back from speaking with their 'manager', anything that has been said or terms that have been agreed to are now null and void.
The problem with that is before we can do anything we MUST consult the manager. I'm in sales and I hate the middle man. I should be able to work the entire deal myself.

· Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pinecone said:
Realize that sales people make money by selling. Experience shows that once you walk out the door, you are likely to NOT come back. Thus the pressure to try and sell you NOW.

I've been shopping around for 3 months. I am stuck between two cars, each located with a different dealer. So far everything has taken place over the phone since there is not a dealership close by. The salesman I am seeing tomorrow is ok. I think I drive a hard bargain just from the amount of clear rejections I've received. I've got a fixed amount and I don't budge.

So when I hear the if we can do xyz do we have a deal today?...and we are close, it just drives me nuts. This normally comes after an amount of time haggling over the price, in which I have already heard all kinds of other lines prior to that one.

I think many people naturally feel guilty if the don't say yes when they hear this. It's been used on me several times in the last few weeks and I think it's been the mainstay for a long time.

I didn't intend to take a shot at sales people in general, I've talked to many who have been very nice. I actually sympathize with the position they are in because they really can't call the shots.

· Empowered Consumer
4,177 Posts
Worst line ever heard when shopping for a car? That's an easy one for me.

20 years ago, shortly after having gotten married, my wife and I were shopping for our first used car together. We drove one that she really liked, and then we sat down with the salesman with me, the master negotiator, in full and complete charge.

Salesman: "So, we really can't go less than $13,500 on that baby."
Me (thinking I should be able to get the car for $12K): "Well, then we're going to have to walk. These same cars are all over the place."
Wife (loud and excitedly): "Noooo, really? Cause I really want that one."

We didn't leave. We ended up buying the car (IIRC for $13K). We were still, you know, newlyweds.

Alex

· ///Mpty pockets
1,993 Posts
My wife while I was negotiating with the salesman for the M3....."why are you arguing over the price, you know you're going to buy it here anyway?"

Stupid salesguy lines:
"sure our price is higher but it isn't that much more" (It was over $1k)

"what do you want your payments to be" my response "zero dollars" (they wouldn't let me test drive any cars after that.)

"how much money do you make?"

"don't worry about that water in the trunk"

I've also had the "you can paint it another color" line

"They didn't make that car in 2002" (I was looking for an S54 M Coupe)

Hmmm....come to think of it, all of those quotes are from 3 trips to the same dealer :tsk:

· I know a thing or two...
7,678 Posts
Pinecone said:

Yep, it's a known fact that once the salesperson senses that there is a deal, he/she is going to push you to take delivery of the vehicle on the spot. It guarantees that they won't lose the deal, and that you won't be able to go shop them at another store. In most (almost all) states, once you pay for the car and drive off the lot, you own it and there is no backing out. Many times they'll try and confuse you so much that there's no way out of it, and that you'll be driving the new car before you have the chance to question how good of a deal you really got.

· Pastafarian Extraordinair
2,784 Posts
BahnBaum said:
Salesman: "So, we really can't go less than $13,500 on that baby."
Me (thinking I should be able to get the car for $12K): "Well, then we're going to have to walk. These same cars are all over the place."
Wife (loud and excitedly): "Noooo, really? Cause I really want that one."
Alex
:rofl: :rofl:

It's good to know that I'm not the only one in the world who suffers.. :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.