BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. Is it worth asking my local dealer if they would do a dealer trade on an 08 M3 to lease to me at invoice + buy rates?

The car is a couple hundred miles away. I would prefer to work with my local dealer again, but they don't have what I am looking for. Is there any logic to this or should I just pick up the car where it is now?

ML
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,180 Posts
Why not - they may want to get the CSI bonus money.
 

·
Yes, please!
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
I would ask. I made sure to acquire my vehicle at the dealer that would be doing my service work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Have you already spoke to the dealer who has the car? If so it sometimes complicates a dealer trade like you are looking to do. That dealer already knows that there's an interested client about 200 miles in the car. Then a few days later a dealer which is 190 miles away calls them on the exact same car they can usually put two and two together. They may not be willing to give up the car because they would rather sell the car as opposed to have another dealer sell.

What you have working to your advantage is that the dealer further away will not want to get stuck with the 2008 M3 past next week so even given the facts above they still may give up the car.

As far as getting the closer dealer to do the trade, it's certainly worth asking, but I would guess they may say no. If I were you I would offer $200 over invoice and say it will cover the costs realized in doing the dealer trade. That sersiously may help.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
7,262 Posts
Quick question. Is it worth asking my local dealer if they would do a dealer trade on an 08 M3 to lease to me at invoice + buy rates?

The car is a couple hundred miles away. I would prefer to work with my local dealer again, but they don't have what I am looking for. Is there any logic to this or should I just pick up the car where it is now?

ML
Nope. Just call the center that has the car and make a deal with them. It's not that I'm not condoning working with your local center, it's just not worth it to them to take a risk of dealer transferring that car in at the 11th hour for a negative deal and risk you canceling because it has a little scratch or you back out and they'er stuck holding a $60k+ car and expiring programs on 3/2. Make sense now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,180 Posts
Nope. Just call the center that has the car and make a deal with them. It's not that I'm not condoning working with your local center, it's just not worth it to them to take a risk of dealer transferring that car in at the 11th hour for a negative deal and risk you canceling because it has a little scratch or you back out and they'er stuck holding a $60k+ car and expiring programs on 3/2. Make sense now?
Different opinion - my CA always asks me to submit even seemingly impossible offers to him before going elsewhere first. For one thing, he may be able to do it - another reason - he may be able to do something similar on a different car or has an idea I wouldn't have even thought about. Either way, its just a phone call/email, and he appreciates the opportunity. We have an understanding if the deal doesn't work, we'll be professional and courteous, say we gave it a best shot, and give it a try the next time round.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,072 Posts
Nope. Just call the center that has the car and make a deal with them. It's not that I'm not condoning working with your local center, it's just not worth it to them to take a risk of dealer transferring that car in at the 11th hour for a negative deal and risk you canceling because it has a little scratch or you back out and they'er stuck holding a $60k+ car and expiring programs on 3/2. Make sense now?
I think Adrian makes a lot of sense.

Besides what would the local center trade? Would they have to give up a future 09 M allocation (very few slots), since the MY will soon be over. But I guess there's still a few months to go though. :dunno:
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
7,262 Posts
Different opinion - my CA always asks me to submit even seemingly impossible offers to him before going elsewhere first. For one thing, he may be able to do it - another reason - he may be able to do something similar on a different car or has an idea I wouldn't have even thought about. Either way, its just a phone call/email, and he appreciates the opportunity. We have an understanding if the deal doesn't work, we'll be professional and courteous, say we gave it a best shot, and give it a try the next time round.
I agree with you to a certain extent, but I don't think your CA's management team would take an 08 M3 for invoice on a dealer transfer with programs expiring in a few days that's helping push these cars. If there was some profit in it for them, then sure, why not..especially for a loyal customer and there's a firm commitment even if the car has cosmetic issues that can be repaired or some miles on it and it's like the only one around.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top