BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will soon see the new i3s with updated battery packs. The range is now a whopping (hold on to your seats) 114 miles! That's up from 80...if you even count that figure as legitimate.

As a long-time BMW owner, I enjoy the agility, speed, and acceleration of BMWs, including my current 2014 i3. Yes, if you want to try and win mileage contests, you can control your driving habits to get ~80 miles. But lets be realistic, unless you live in a climate that's mid 70s year around, you'll need heating and A/C. And if you want to drive this car like a real BMW, then some spirited driving is in order!

So is going from a claimed 80 miles to 114 miles worth it? I'd say not. While more is always better, as it concerns EV range, 34 additional miles really won't allow you to change your driving habits, and will still keep you aware of your next charging station.

I wish they could just jump a battery generation and bring us near double existing capacity!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
They're lab testing that next generation with double the original battery capacity, but it takes time to go from the lab to the factory floor, especially if you want reliability with no surprises. I seriously believe that's the main reason why their next I-car won't show up until around 2021 MY. I wish it were sooner, and who knows, but I'm not counting on it!

With the depreciation, unless you're leasing, upgrading to the new i3 with larger battery probably is not the wisest financial decision.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts