Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at an e46 at an auction. I’ve been always wanted a bmw and this looks like a good option. How hard would it be to get a key that works with the car and starts it?
Or should I go a different route?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,081 Posts
Sounds like a LOSING proposition to me....how TF are you supposed to start the car, to hear the engine run ? And test the trans, even a rudimentary inspection ? No key, AIN`T gonna happen, mang….these cars have fairly sophisticated anti-theft devices, you can`t start it by jumping across the solenoid with a screwdriver like The Good Old Days ! :rofl:

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,614 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm going to go against my normal thought process.

For me it would really depend on the price I could get it for. Usually a no key would deter other bidders. Are there decent pics? Mileage? The biggest question of all: are you mechanically inclined to fix the minor things to save yourself a big dollar?

If there are decent pictures, decent mileage, and you are able you work on it yourself... Then for the right price, I would say yes.

But don't purchase it expecting to get a key and start driving. If that is your mindset, then its a no go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to go against my normal thought process.

For me it would really depend on the price I could get it for. Usually a no key would deter other bidders. Are there decent pics? Mileage? The biggest question of all: are you mechanically inclined to fix the minor things to save yourself a big dollar?

If there are decent pictures, decent mileage, and you are able you work on it yourself... Then for the right price, I would say yes.

But don't purchase it expecting to get a key and start driving. If that is your mindset, then its a no go.
I fully expect it not to run. There are photos as it***8217;s an online auction but I plan on getting some tomorrow.
I definitely consider myself mechanically inclined enough to fix almost anything that comes up with it.
When I go to see it I***8217;ll probably take photos and upload them here

·
Registered
443 Posts
Also another tip. This method isn’t 100% accurate, but it works most the time: Use the interior and exterior condition as a guide for how they maintained it mechanically. If the inside is a disaster and the outside is beat up, then that’s a pretty good sign for you

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also another tip. This method isn***8217;t 100% accurate, but it works most the time: Use the interior and exterior condition as a guide for how they maintained it mechanically. If the inside is a disaster and the outside is beat up, then that***8217;s a pretty good sign for you

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Thankfully the outside and interior looks really good

·
Registered
879 Posts
Put a hard limit on how high you will go considering that it may need major work and go for it. That limit should be no more than 50% of a similar car that has keys, perhaps 25%...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts