BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to make my 2007 BMW 328xi louder. I have found a muffler on eBay that is much more wallet friendly than the whole BMW PE system. I was wondering if it's worth it to just buy the muffler and if it actually makes a difference in the sound of the exhaust even if its still connected to the stock exhaust system. I'll give a link to the muffler so you all can check it out. Thanks!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Dual-3-...formance-M3-M5-M6-Style-Muffler-/200923089860_a__a2_

·
Registered
773 Posts
Not worth it to mod the whole exhaust system especially since your budget is not in the range of the BMW PE. In addition, you'll be spending a ton of money for little or no performance gains on a NA 328 engine so go with whatever aftermarket muffler that sounds good and louder and that fits your budget. Another option for you, if you're a DIYer, is to remove the stock muffler and go with straight pipes. A neighbor of mine has an E90 335 with straight pipes and his sounds pretty nice. It's not super loud like other cars (BMW, non-BMW) I have heard.
Try that and see how it sounds to you. The stock muffler is pretty much bolt on so all you have to do is remove it, add an extension pipe, and then a tail pipe tip. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
And if you don't like it, you can always get/install the aftermarket muffler.
Just my 2 cents.
Good to you!

·
Found the Search Button
2014 i3 BEV
1,784 Posts
Look into the Active Autowerkes muffler. It's got a sound that's a little higher pitched than the PE, but it was pretty good. A neighbor had it so I've heard it first hand. About 1/2-1/3 the price of the PE too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not worth it to mod the whole exhaust system especially since your budget is not in the range of the BMW PE. In addition, you'll be spending a ton of money for little or no performance gains on a NA 328 engine so go with whatever aftermarket muffler that sounds good and louder and that fits your budget. Another option for you, if you're a DIYer, is to remove the stock muffler and go with straight pipes. A neighbor of mine has an E90 335 with straight pipes and his sounds pretty nice. It's not super loud like other cars (BMW, non-BMW) I have heard.

Try that and see how it sounds to you. The stock muffler is pretty much bolt on so all you have to do is remove it, add an extension pipe, and then a tail pipe tip. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

And if you don't like it, you can always get/install the aftermarket muffler.

Just my 2 cents.

Good to you!
Been away from this for awhile, but thanks for the helpful response. Would I have to weld on the extension when taking the muffler off?

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
I slapped a magnaflow universal onto my 330xi. It's part # 14815.

·
Banned
430 Posts
That must sound like ****. You lose torque from a resonator delete too.

I would delete my secondary cats and put the resonator back on. Possibly add a magnsfloe muffler too. It will sound better and drone less

·
Banned
430 Posts
I heard you should either keep your secondaries or resonator to minimize drone. The resonator would do a better job at getting rid of drone and the secondary cats would give you more power so that's the better setup

·
Registered
773 Posts
Good to hear bro!! :thumbup:
Love my BMW PE. Just replaced the stock mufflers and the rumble sounds much more aggressive and meaner and there's no drone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts