BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about whther or not I can improve the structural rigidity a bit.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Nick325xiT said:
I'm curious about whther or not I can improve the structural rigidity a bit.
I think the front doesn't benefit nearly as much as a rear strut brace (note the figures with and without folding seats... big difference in rigidity).

Here are the rigidity figures...

Sedan (w/o folding seats): 18000Nm/deg of torsion
Sedan (w/folding seats): 13000Nm
Sport wagon (w/folding seats): 14000Nm
Coupe (w/folding seats): 12500Nm
Convertible: 10500Nm

The wagon is already pretty stiff, only rivaled by the sedan w/o folding seats.

-Al

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bet the trunk cover/partition thingy serves as a sort of rear brace. Hmm. I wonder what a front tower brace would do, though.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must say that I'm rather surprised by those figures, though. Given the amount of flex I've encountered, I can't imagine what the cabrio would be like.

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Nick325xiT said:
I must say that I'm rather surprised by those figures, though. Given the amount of flex I've encountered, I can't imagine what the cabrio would be like.
Wagons aren't supposed to be driven hard. :D

Did you try the "chin trick" yet?

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I tried the chin trick. Didn't do shit. The only thing that ever works for me is to touch the antenna with the key.

Judging by those numbers, you're not one to talk, Al. You've got a coupe with folding seats, OBVIOUSLY not a performance vehicle. :D :D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
11,052 Posts
Nick325xiT said:
Judging by those numbers, you're not one to talk, Al. You've got a coupe with folding seats, OBVIOUSLY not a performance vehicle. :D :D :D :D :D
:mad: :mad:

At least I look like I'm going fast. :D That fridge on wheels looks like it belongs at soccer practice. :D

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You look like you're going fast, until I blow by you. :) Remember, I wore my pads down in less than 11 thousand miles. Besides, just think how many M68s I could fit in MY car. :D

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
alee said:

Wagons aren't supposed to be driven hard. :D

Did you try the "chin trick" yet?
Who said wagons aren't to be driven hard:confused: :dunno:

I must have never gotten the memo:eek:

Why do you say this Al?

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
alee said:

:mad: :mad:

At least I look like I'm going fast. :D That fridge on wheels looks like it belongs at soccer practice. :D
I think Nick and I should practice kicking you into a soccer net for implying that our xiTs are inferior vehicles:mad:

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I with ya all the way!

·
Banned
20,151 Posts
Hmm. I was under the impression that the Touring models were pretty damn rigid!

I had a Hamann front strut brace :confused: and that was total waste of money. It did however, look very cool - still a waste of money.

Maybe I need a day at the track to see if there are any real benefits!

Patrick

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome back!

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How do you like the CAI?

·
Registered
28 Posts
CAI from Jim C.

I like the CAI because eventually Jim Conforti is supposed to be making a software upgrade that uses his CAI as well. Kind of a package deal. Check it out on www.turnermotorsports.com Intakes section. It is definately pricy but is easier to install than the Dinan. It does have a little bit of whistle on part throttle but really sounds sweet on WOT.

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Better stay away from that then. I seem to be locked in a death struggle with VOB service to get them to fix the part-throttle whine in my car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.