BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I found this 2005 BMW 545i with a 6 speed manual with 84,000 miles and a clean title. If It is in decent condition and a certified mechanic checks it out all is good and I could get it for a good price would this be a good car now and in the future ?

Attachments

·
Lauren Rjahhovski @ Pedal Commander
108 Posts
Hey!
It's super nice! Manual 5 series, awesome. Is this your first BMW/European car?

I would say if it is your first BMW, expect that things will need to be done. BMW is meticulous. Really, any BMW with the age and mileage, the most common, you will have to expect oil leaks, maybe some cooling system issues. It's already a great thing if it's been kept in a dry climate like Arizona. No rust and things last, except rubber dries out. I find that having an older BMW, the more it's driven, the better. If you have mechanical knowledge and can work on your own car, that's already a great start. That said, BMW is a committment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey!
It's super nice! Manual 5 series, awesome. Is this your first BMW/European car?

I would say if it is your first BMW, expect that things will need to be done. BMW is meticulous. Really, any BMW with the age and mileage, the most common, you will have to expect oil leaks, maybe some cooling system issues. It's already a great thing if it's been kept in a dry climate like Arizona. No rust and things last, except rubber dries out. I find that having an older BMW, the more it's driven, the better. If you have mechanical knowledge and can work on your own car, that's already a great start. That said, BMW is a committment.
Thank you, it will be my first German car but I have experience with BMWs and the older 3 series, my only concern is if the car needs thousands of dollars in work like the transfer pipe and guide seals and all that needs to be fixed and doing the work myself isn’t a problem until I have to take the whole motor apart.

·
Lauren Rjahhovski @ Pedal Commander
108 Posts
Thank you, it will be my first German car but I have experience with BMWs and the older 3 series, my only concern is if the car needs thousands of dollars in work like the transfer pipe and guide seals and all that needs to be fixed and doing the work myself isn’t a problem until I have to take the whole motor apart.

I would say, knowing BMW, prepare for anything! Owning an older one is an eternal marriage. By now, I know more or less what to expect and try not to be surprised.

I think it's already to smarter to have a car that's naturally aspirated. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts