BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have no intention of parting out my only transportation; but today the question came up in another thread:
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > How do you take apart: Fan/ Fan clutch, Crank Pulley, and Heads?

So I ask here ... mainly because I've never sold a car in my entire life. I always give them away when I buy a new one - and - I hold onto my cars for 15 years, buying them still within warranty - so I don't get many chances to part them out.

Still, it would be fun to take the bimmer apart, piece by piece, until nothing is left but the frame. I can think of hundreds, if not thousands of interesting things that would be learned from the process (one could even write a DIY book "how to take apart an E39").

But, once apart, you'd have to do something with the parts - so - I ask if it would be possible to actually make some money on the fun of taking it apart. Yet, you wouldn't want to be running a salvage lot, as you don't want strangers ever visiting your home (for safety reasons if for no other reason).

To that end, I ask those with parting-out experience:
Q: If you've parted out a car, how did you do it?

Specifically, how do you arrange the critical tasks:

1. Storage & customer viewing of the parts beforehand (perhaps online with photos?)
2. Payment
3. Shipping

Attachments

·
Registered
15,641 Posts
The biggest issue, beyond having a warehouse with a lift, in which to dismantle and store it, is the merchandising of the parts. Bear in mind that the pro breakers have their own network, where all manner of parts requests flow. How long will an individual have to wait to sell some obscure part? Then you'll have to pack and ship parts, some of which are quite heavy. Ever hefted a 5-speed manual transmission?

You'll still have to deal with a breaker to haul the carcass away.

·
Registered
96 Posts
storage space is big

I took apart my E39 touring but for the drive train. So the bare engine block, transmission, power steering, suspension (front and rear), shocks (front and rear), driveshaft, diff, subframes (front and rear) stayed on the car.
I took off the entire interior as well as all doors, hood, tailgate, bumpers, wheels, built on engine parts, radiators and hoses, exhaust, electronics.
Still the amount of stuff that came off filled my basement. Its volume is much, much bigger on a shelf/in boxes than on the car.
Besides that the prices you can get depend heavily on the parts, but overall are quite low (10 to 50 euro on average, check an online shop of the salvage yard to see prices in your region). I will sell the interior, but keep the rest just too find out how they work. Many parts I will replace with new when they break on my current car, because their price is relatively low compared to the repair cost.
It was fun to take apart, so perhaps you can do that and then sell the whole bunch to the salvage yard instead of end customers.
Unless you like the selling part and the hassle with strangers, I would stick to dismantling for fun.
cheers, e39-rijder

1 - 3 of 3 Posts