BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not to be a smart-alec here, but I use my smartphone. The three year old maps in the on board navigation system have led me on a wild goose chase too many times. The phone updates automatically and the service is included with my data package. If I know for sure the destination has been there for at least three years, the freeway ramps might have changed. Plus, the smartphone really is smart. I can tap an address in an email or a browser search and the phone automatically brings up maps and know that I want to navigate to that address.

MHO,
Bob

·
Registered
985 Posts
Retrofitting OEM nav systems is generally cost prohibitive. I would get a Tom Tom or Garmin ( less than $200) and, using one of the bean bag mounts, place the unit right in front of the on board computer display panel. It is the perfect spot, being shaded and minimal inconvenience. The phone based systems are often not as accurate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is my retrofit:

Step 1) Take my Android phone = $0

Step 2) Purchased a mount = $20

Step 3) Updated Google Maps/Navigation = $0

Step 4) Sync the phone with Bluetooth so I never have to touch it if someone calls

Step 5) Drive my car

Step 6) Saved $3600

·
Registered
15 Posts
I didn't even realize when I bought a used 528 that it had traffic information included in the navigation package. I guess it is paid up for four years from the date of original purchase. I wonder what it costs to extend it when the original subscription runs out...

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.