BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
nate328Ci said:
lets say that the 330d was offered in the US. Would you buy it over the 330i if the diesel was comprably priced or even $1500 cheaper?

:dunno:
Absolutely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
Is this a poll? :p

Actually I would. From the little I know about the 330d, it is a very nice engine and would fill my requirements nicely (lots of low end torque, decent hp, good mileage, longer life). I really don't care about them being low-revying. Who among us race their engines to 7,000 all the time anyway. Too bad they still don't meet CAFE's stricter emissions control.

(Ok, I better get my flame suit on).
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JPinTO said:


At least they wouldn't blow! :lmao:

I'd consider it. VW is planning to bring a V10 Diesel to the Toureg.... apparently to the north american market.
UGH!!!

That engine better not make it into the disgraceful Porsche Cayanne :eek:
 

·
OMGWTFBBQ
Joined
·
11,262 Posts
330dT?

I think so. Hell, I'd probably even get something really efing big and heavy just to have a reason to tow :D

More likely to see an M3T though, I think. :dunno:
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
In a second. :)
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
So far nobody has mentioned the merits of it being a TURBO. More boost! wheeeeee :thumbup: :lmao:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,487 Posts
Kaz said:
So far nobody has mentioned the merits of it being a TURBO. More boost! wheeeeee :thumbup: :lmao:
How about lag? :dunno: When I bought my former 98 A4 1.8T, I was impressed that the engine produced peak torque @ 1,750 RPM... Yeah, right... :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
nate328Ci said:
lets say that the 330d was offered in the US. Would you buy it over the 330i if the diesel was comprably priced or even $1500 cheaper?

:dunno:
I'd have to drive it to be sure, but, my initial reaction is yes. I've driven turbo diesel ambulances for a while now and know the benefits of a broad torque curve starting in the low rev range.
 

·
******
Joined
·
2,457 Posts
Re: Re: Would you buy a diesel BMW?

Zaphod said:
I'd have to drive it to be sure, but, my initial reaction is yes. I've driven turbo diesel ambulances for a while now and know the benefits of a broad torque curve starting in the low rev range.
You're not kidding about the torque curve. I drove a diesel passat wagon last summer in Deutschland. That thing would easily burn the tires to your wheel hubs, if you wanted it to. I was merging onto the autobahn from a rest stop, and left a health patch without even meaning to. Even so, it would get amazing gas mileage.

I would certainly consider it. There would be one caveat though. The Europeans have that eco-diesel that burns cleaner than our "truckers" diesel in the States.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
YES,

but only after driving one could i believe how good the thing was (330d). Driving my 330i after that made my car feel seriously limp in the mid range. However, the lazier, non-revving nature of the engine make it more suited to an auto, and therefore not a BMW. Still, for a diesel, I was absolutely blown away by the thing. Here in the UK where fuel costs 80p a litre (you DID read that right :mad: ) , more and more people are buying the diesel variants.
What you dont get is the intoxicating high rpm, inline six growl, the diesels are actualy MUCH quiter, and sound kinda weird(but still sporty in a strange way). Worth buying just for that mental torque. The pull from 1500 rpm really is frightening.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
10,856 Posts
ChetG said:
YES,

but only after driving one could i believe how good the thing was (330d). Driving my 330i after that made my car feel seriously limp in the mid range. However, the lazier, non-revving nature of the engine make it more suited to an auto, and therefore not a BMW. Still, for a diesel, I was absolutely blown away by the thing. Here in the UK where fuel costs 80p a litre (you DID read that right :mad: ) , more and more people are buying the diesel variants.
What you dont get is the intoxicating high rpm, inline six growl, the diesels are actualy MUCH quiter, and sound kinda weird(but still sporty in a strange way). Worth buying just for that mental torque. The pull from 1500 rpm really is frightening.
If they sound anything like the 2.5liter BMW diesel did in a Land Rover Disco that I spent some time in, I think they sound better. Diesel scream. :)
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top