Bimmerfest BMW banner

Would you put this thing in your E39 gauage cluster?

• Yes

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • No

Votes: 31 86.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 11.1%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
If I were going to do this type of mod, the only thing I would put in my gage cluster would be guage rings.

Picture courtesy of ebay ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
gixxer,
You have a PM

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Quick question guys.
MY cluster cover lens seems to be dirty from the inside, looks like fingerprints or something. Is there a way to clean that?
If so, what is the procedure ?
Please help :dunno:

·
Registered
78 Posts
To clean the inside of the cluster, follow the instructions for installing Gauge Rings. You will need to take it apart to get to the inside. But then you might as well buy gauge rings since you will have it apart, if you like them.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i may just go with the gauage ring... i should have given more options to poll...

Rob530iA said:
To clean the inside of the cluster, follow the instructions for installing Gauge Rings. You will need to take it apart to get to the inside. But then you might as well buy gauge rings since you will have it apart, if you like them.
Rob530iA, i recall you added the gauage rings to your cluster from some other thread in this forum. And also i recall you didn't have to disconnect the negative post from the battery.

How was your installation experience, from removing the instrumentation cluster? I have rounded up most of the instructions in how to do this stuff, and just curious what your experience was like. Luckily i have my folks in town to lend extra hands to take apart the cluster since i also recall doing it with just 2 hands is bit challenging.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
No, I like the way my E39 looks like now :D

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
The CF one looks neat but it just wouldn't go with my snobby walnut wood interior :D I don't think I'd even put the rings on there. I do however like the M5 cluster, but the M5 isn't a 540, too bad for the M5.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I wish i can find a nice (eg. CPO with low mileage, single owner, non-smoker, etc.) used 2003 540i 6SP (with or without M-Technic aero option) at some point since i had hell of a time finding "new" 2003 540i 6SP back in October 2003 in state when i was looking for E39. And at the end i had to go out of state to settle for what was then new 2003 530iA. Still new 2003 540i 6SP would have been way too much money, i think at least $50K or something like that. Used version makes owning 540i much more affordable, but still new would have been nice. Sigh... Oh well, at least there's hope, eg. ESS's 7 psi supercharger that puts out allegedly ~330 BHP/300 LB-FT (not at the rear wheel though), i wonder what that power/torque feels like, but at least $7K. Yike!!!

·
Wrenchin'
2,051 Posts
gixxer said:
I wish i can find a nice (eg. CPO with low mileage, single owner, non-smoker, etc.) used 2003 540i 6SP (with or without M-Technic aero option) at some point since i had hell of a time finding "new" 2003 540i 6SP back in October 2003 in state when i was looking for E39. And at the end i had to go out of state to settle for what was then new 2003 530iA. Still new 2003 540i 6SP would have been way too much money, i think at least $50K or something like that. Used version makes owning 540i much more affordable, but still new would have been nice. Sigh... Oh well, at least there's hope, eg. ESS's 7 psi supercharger that puts out allegedly ~330 BHP/300 LB-FT (not at the rear wheel though), i wonder what that power/torque feels like, but at least $7K. Yike!!!
how about the VF 6psi ($6k) or even their add-on 8psi kit :D

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ketchup said:
how about the VF 6psi ($6k) or even their add-on 8psi kit :D
You bet, i'm eyeing on ESS's 7 psi *and* VF's 6 psi. As for 8 psi, i hear that's pushing it for I6. :yikes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts