BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just bought a MB C240 and in looking under the hood we couldn't find the dipstick to check the oil. After combing the manual it turns out there isn't one! They give you a little cheat sheet on how to have the OBC check it and tell you if it's ok or not. My friend told me that the MB dealer told her that they don't like people futzing with the car - they should just bring it in if a light goes off.

What do you guys think of this? Would you trust the computer or would want the dipstick to check it yourself? Personally I think it's a bit nuts...

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Scotes said:
A friend of mine just bought a MB C240 and in looking under the hood we couldn't find the dipstick to check the oil. After combing the manual it turns out there isn't one! They give you a little cheat sheet on how to have the OBC check it and tell you if it's ok or not. My friend told me that the MB dealer told her that they don't like people futzing with the car - they should just bring it in if a light goes off.

What do you guys think of this? Would you trust the computer or would want the dipstick to check it yourself? Personally I think it's a bit nuts...
Don't want people futzing around with the car?! Next thing you know they won't want people DRIVING the car too.

G

·
Hell, I barely trust the dealership to CHANGE the oil.

In general, more systems = bad. More human thought = good.

Granted this goes against damn near every cultural trend...

I can dream.

But why does this surprise anyone. Mercedes hasn't trusted to majority of it's buyers to shift their own gears for many years.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Scotes said:
My friend told me that the MB dealer told her that they don't like people futzing with the car - they should just bring it in if a light goes off.
I think the person at the dealer who told her that was making up his own reasoning . . . I really doubt the engineers at Mercedes said . . . "hhmmm what could we do so people don't futz around with their own car . . . I know, we won't let them check there oil . . ."

I love when people who work at the dealer give thier opinion and it's totally off but people take it like its the manufacturer saying it.

BTW I see nothing wrong with a computer doing the job of checking the oil . . . I think in the almost 2 yrs I have my car I've checked my oil once . . .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Folks I think Alan is obligated to recieve a standing ovation. Let me the first to say that has been the most refreshing and logical statement I have heard in a long time.:thumb: :thumb:

I would give you a third one but I dont get that excited

G

·
Re: Re: Would you trust a computer to check your oil?

Alan F said:

BTW I see nothing wrong with a computer doing the job of checking the oil . . . I think in the almost 2 yrs I have my car I've checked my oil once . . .
Rather than applaud you, I'm going to cringe at this last statement. Sorry.

How often do you check your tire pressure?

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
JimmyNY said:
Folks I think Alan is obligated to recieve a standing ovation. Let me the first to say that has been the most refreshing and logical statement I have heard in a long time.:thumb: :thumb:

I would give you a third one but I dont get that excited
thanks Jimmy . .. us New Yorkers have to stick together :) :)

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Would you trust a computer to check your oil?

TD said:

Tire pressure is a totally different story . . . not only do I check my tire pressure on a regular basis, but I have an awesome tire pressure guage which I always keep in the glovebox and an Air compressor in my garage that could blow up 20 rafts and still have air left ;)

If you think about it, when we check our oil, what are we checking it for ? ? The answer is we are checking it to see if it's low unless you are very mechanically inclined and are actually checking it for color and Consistency.

So why would I need to check it myself if the car has a built in low oil indicator . . . if the light fails to work correctly for some strange reason then it would be a warranty issue anyway.

G

·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Would you trust a computer to check your oil?

Alan F said:

Tire pressure is a totally different story . . . not only do I check my tire pressure on a regular basis, but I have an awesome tire pressure guage which I always keep in the glovebox and an Air compressor in my garage that could blow up 20 rafts and still have air left ;)

If you think about it, when we check our oil, what are we checking it for ? ? The answer is we are checking it to see if it's low unless you are very mechanically inclined and are actually checking it for color and Consistency.

So why would I need to check it myself if the car has a built in low oil indicator . . . if the light fails to work correctly for some strange reason then it would be a warranty issue anyway.
For example, my car does not have a low oil indicator light. But, even if I still had the 330i, I'd be checking it to make sure it was still slightly above the full mark so that, when I autox, my engine doesn't suffer oil starvation.

·
Not topless in NE
1,031 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Would you trust a computer to check your oil?

Alan F said:

There is a reason that they call it an "idiot" light. Because the idiot did not check the fluid level themselves. :tsk: :dunno:

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
TD said:
Hell, I barely trust the dealership to CHANGE the oil.

Me too. So after my recent service I checked my oil. Since it was 1/2 quart below full and there were several spilled drops (of oil) on my valve cover, I am pretty sure they changed it.:thumb:

I gave them a perfect rating in the post-service BMWNA call, but I did write them about their sloppy tech who spilled oil and did not wipe up. Later I also learned that the black shinny stuff they put on my sidewalls (tires) left a gummy film on my wheels and fenders that attracts brake dust and is a major pain to clean!! I also mentioned that in my letter:rolleyes:

I told them I will see them at the BMWCCA party, I wonder if they are looking forward to seeing me:dunno:

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Would you trust a computer to check your oil?

Tim330Cic said:

There is a reason that they call it an "idiot" light. Because the idiot did not check the fluid level themselves. :tsk: :dunno:
Who are you calling idiot :flipoff:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Would you trust a computer to check your oil?

TD said:

My serviceman said they used "special" BMW air in my tires, and I don't need to check it.:D :lmao: :lmao:

(just joking)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Re: Would you trust a computer to check your oil?

Alan F said:

I love when people who work at the dealer give their opinion and it's totally off but people take it like its the manufacturer saying it.
Personally I don't think most of what most auto salepeople say is worth the air used to say it. That said I wasn't there when he told her this and generaly speaking she's not the most automotively inclined (hence the MB instead of a BMW :D) so I can't really fault her for taking him at his word.
Alan F said:
...what are we checking it for ? ? The answer is we are checking it to see if it's low unless you are very mechanically inclined and are actually checking it for color and Consistency.

Granted I'm no Manny, Moe, or Jack but I personally prefer the greater interaction of actually seeing the oil I'm checking. To me it's sorta like the difference between reading the newspaper online or actually holding it in you hands. Though it does beg the question what about when the car is out of warranty?

I sure most auto designs will head in this direction eventually (just see MB's brake-by-wire and the steering-by-wire their testing) and at some point we'll all be in amazment of a car with an oil dipstick!

btw - at least she got the 6-speed! I'm waiting till she finishes breaking it in before taking it for a spin...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Actually, as far as owner interaction goes, MB is ahead of BMW. If you want to know the oil level you punch the buttons on the steering wheel and the obc will tell you the level. You can also change all of the car and key settings yourself at any time through the obc, without having to make a dealer visit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts