Burnt orange interior.

Lazy seller, what else is sloppy?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Burnt orange interior.

Lazy seller, what else is sloppy?
Its a nice X5 is very good condition. But would you gamble 22k ?

Maybe worth a 2012 X5 at about 36k miles at the current blue book value.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Our convertibles are garage queens with low miles so anything is possible, but that is indeed highly unusual for an X5. Looks basic basic. Nothing wrong with it but very light on options. Even with the crazy low miles, the price seems high given the dearth of desirable equipment. I wouldn't consider it at that price.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Ask the seller to send you a copy of the Carfax which will also show the VIN. Ask a service advisor at your local BMW dealer if he would check the BMW computer files for you. He's not supposed to run VIN's for customers but some will and if you ask him politely and tell him you are considering buying this car he might check to see what prior history records they have on file.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ask the seller to send you a copy of the Carfax which will also show the VIN. Ask a service advisor at your local BMW dealer if he would check the BMW computer files for you. He's not supposed to run VIN's for customers but some will and if you ask him politely and tell him you are considering buying this car he might check to see what prior history records they have on file.
There is a photo of the VIN if you went through the pics.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,230 Posts
The vin is in the picture.....

These 'car virgins' are a semi-common event, with any model. I see them in every forum over the years. E39M5s with sub 2000 miles that sell at near MSRP 15 years after first sale.

It is such an odd niche. Especially for dogs like an X5 suv. Can you find someone with a large commercial space that collects examples? 100+ cars they just like to hold? Sure. But joe schmoe that wants to drive a used SUV is hard pressed to value 1100 miles versus 50k miles.

The idea of a zero mile used X5 is far more attractive than the reality.

IMO

·
Kinda officially welcomed
384 Posts
The ad explains the low miles

"This vehicle was stolen back in December of 2011 from FL and recovered by the police at Elizabeth Port shipping yards, 1/25/2012 in a container to be exported out of the Country.
This vehicle has been stored inside till March of 2019"

As far as trusting the story...I'd probably pass. You can take the VIN and see if BMW has it VIN blocked (even if he says he took it in for warranty recalls).

·
Registered
35 Posts
The vin is in the picture.....

These 'car virgins' are a semi-common event, with any model. I see them in every forum over the years. E39M5s with sub 2000 miles that sell at near MSRP 15 years after first sale.

It is such an odd niche. Especially for dogs like an X5 suv. Can you find someone with a large commercial space that collects examples? 100+ cars they just like to hold? Sure. But joe schmoe that wants to drive a used SUV is hard pressed to value 1100 miles versus 50k miles.

The idea of a zero mile used X5 is far more attractive than the reality.

IMO
This sums it up nicely.

The real question is why? :dunno:

·
Registered
61 Posts
x5's can be worked to show a different mileage on the dash then want is on the vehicle. You can check the mileage against the other 'modules' on the bus however; if they are the same then it's accepted as not tampered.

There is a youtube video floating about which has the details; I watched it a few months back.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I want to buy this X5 , then I would only make an offer that is age appropriate and of average mileage for that age and of a very good as per KBB.

ie 2012 X5 35I with 50k miles and in very good condition

It is not a 'classic' car that grows expensive with age.:D

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,230 Posts
The guy needs to be marketing this to the Bring a Trailer crowd.

Which means being able to run the vin, list the options/codes and know the Fing name of the car's colors!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Of course the odometer could be tampered with but a check of vehicle previous records or quiz the other modules on board with Carly for mileage history can't all be fixed to match. Like Ard said, it's an SUV, who would go to the extent with that?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts