BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Wow, don't I feel like an idiot, no dip stick...

1740 Views 11 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  ctuna
On a road trip driving to Chicago when my warning indicator came on, reviewed the service menu and it mentioned that I was at minimal oil level and to add a quart. Stopped at a dealer got a quart, got to my destination and went to check the oil level before I put the full quart in (wanted to make sure I didn’t over fill).

So here I am in the driveway for what hat to be at least 5 mins looking for the dip stick, I think the car said that I am the dip stick, but in German.

Well I realize that the Germans are very confident in their engineering and that this car does not need a dipstick because the sensor is very accurate.

So I put the quart in and all is good, but I did have to review the manual just to make sure I was correct and for sure no dip stick only computer display of oil level.

Love this car, but it made a fool of me, it’s still laughing in German.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
From Autoblog.com:

"In an effort to find out who exactly is responsible for the dipstick-abolishing movement, Autoblog contacted Audi, BMW and Porsche – three respected German automakers who have embraced the technology for several years. All three gave us the same answer. Contrary to Internet rumors, the elimination of an inexpensive metal rod is not a cost-cutting measure, nor is it an environmental issue (word on the web said each check of a dipstick introduced ounces of polluting dirty oil into the ecosystem).

Quite frankly, the automakers point out that we simply don't need dipsticks anymore. Why? Because owners don't use them. While they don't specifically say it, those who engineer and assemble our new cars (and guarantee new vehicle warranties) are much more comfortable knowing that a silicon chip is monitoring the oil level – not a consumer who hasn't checked tire pressures (or even opened the hood) since the last time the Vikings won the Super Bowl."
I assume these are the same idiot engineers and designers who decided I shouldn't be able to manually control my intermittent wiper speed because my car has the auto wiper feature-- I should always use the auto wiper because the sensor knows the situation better than I do. :rolleyes:
Because owners don't use them.
All this automation is breeding a culture of laziness. I guess for the average consumer it's better because they are not likely to check oil or air pressure or anything on a car really. But just because your TPMS didn't go off doesn't mean you are at optimal tire pressure. The dipstick is less of a daily issue, but it still makes car guys scratch their heads.
Tilting at windmills I guess but I like the dipstick as an oil condition indicator ..... I like to see nice clean oil on the stick ... or is it dark dirty oil .... or ooops whitish (may you never see that) !
The only reason that makes sense to me for removing the dip stick is to eliminate a path for dirt getting into the engine. There are lots of detail design "features" with car that I don't like but then I go for a drive and I mostly forget them.
David
Yep, I spent a little time looking for the dipstick, myself. Finally had to read that dang owner's manual...

Angie
That may be because you don't have an intermittent wiper option - that is only on the "base" system without the rain sensor.

Tom
I assume these are the same idiot engineers and designers who decided I shouldn't be able to manually control my intermittent wiper speed because my car has the auto wiper feature-- I should always use the auto wiper because the sensor knows the situation better than I do. :rolleyes:
Scary thing is many people don't bother and don't know how to check.

Years ago, when in college, i would sometimes hang out with my brother at his work (he was a mechanic). The amount of people who came into the shop and didn't know how to open their GAS CAP would astound you. I remember two distinct situations. Both cute looking girls. Both in college (villanova and haverford). Both driving nice cars (one was a SAAB, can't recall the other) and both didn't know how to open their gas tanks...I mean really.

So yes there are people out there who can't - but there are plenty who can. Also, computer components break.

If it's not cost or environment they need to reintroduce the stick. I am happy to rely on electronics, but I like backup. Similar to my scuba diving. I have an expensive dive watch that checks my air pressure. I also have a manual gauge that checks my air pressure...wanna know why? Cause my dive watch has malfunctioned under water, and because i was prepared I didn't have to abort my dive - I knew exactly how much air I had.
Right thr excuse still doesn't hold water. What's wrong with having both then? I think that's the case with some vw/Audi engines
Agreed, what if the sensor was inaccurate and I overfilled it, then I would have been really screwed.
Right thr excuse still doesn't hold water. What's wrong with having both then? I think that's the case with some vw/Audi engines
If you are a car guy this sucks

And a lot of here feel the same way .
On the e46 I had when the oil light came on and I checked it
it was full. It turned out to be the sensor.
Its nice to be able to pull the dipstick out and look at and feel the oil.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.