BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
161 - 180 of 219 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
im usually over 32 up front. 36 F, 34 rear with just the wife driving. Ill go 36, 38 rears if we are hauling stuff. (no hitch)

·
Registered
14,431 Posts
I just installed a new set of 20' tires. Below are the specs I got the last time (got min toe 0.04 as the machine indicated this as min :) ). Generally, handling and wear in the back was good (even). The front was wearing more on the outer edge. What should I correct now? 40-50% mileage currently is towing (heavy rear axle), but I am not sure, if there should be anything to correct for this. Thanks!

You're inside edge only looks slightly better, indicating this is mostly caused by insufficient tire pressure. Excessive camber tends to wear the tire "conically."

BMW's recommended tire pressures are not those for optimal tire wear. Other considerations are ride quality and the ability of the tire to maintain adhesion to the road when encountering pavement discontinuities. Also, run-flat-tires tend to wear as if under-inflated. That's because the sidewalls can't stretch as much in the circumferential direction as on a non-run-flat radial tire.

Adjusting front camber on BMW's requires replacing the upper control arm or knuckle (on cars with struts), or installing a "camber kit." BMW sells the upper arms and knuckles with standard camber, and also plus or minus one-half degree.

Towing and carrying a lot of weight in the cargo area actually reduces the weight on the front axle.

Frau Putzer's G01 X3 has non-run-flat tires. The recommended pressures are 32 PSI front and 35 PSI rear. At 36 PSI front (measured cold in the early morning) the tires were still wearing as if slightly under-inflated. The rear tires at 39 PSI were wearing as if slightly over-inflated. With tire rotation, they're wearing almost perfectly (average wear of the two middle circumferential channels are equal to the average wear of the two side circumferential channels).

BMW SUV's tend to wear the outsides of the tires more. This is due to a higher center of mass (causing more body roll and concentrating weight on the outer tires in a turn), taller tire sidewalls, and less rear negative camber spec's. BMW passenger cars tend to wear the insides of the tires more. Frau Putzer's X3's tires' outer channels are wearing faster than the inner circumferential channels. Because of the over-inflation, the edges of tires are fine, though.

I bet you had to pull the steering wheel to the left constantly before the alignment. Even then, your total toe-in in the front was just 0.06 (degrees?) or 0.03 (degrees?) per front wheel.

If you have a square set-up, rotating the tires would help greatly. It averages out any uneven wear over all four tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can't believe so many of you are pointing out that your X5 came out of alignment from the factory
I wonder is its the line that is off or its the transportation from the factory to the dealer???
Anybody with alignment issues that did PCD?
My 2017 X5D X drive bought new was off. I had two dealerships realign it. After about 12,000 miles I realized my OEM Michelin RF's were going to be toast at about 20,000 miles. I went to an independent shop near me and for $150 had it properly aligned. Drives way better and the tires stopped wearing altogether. Both dealerships missed that one rear tire was way off causing it to drive oddly and wear tires rapidly. My take away, factory settings are terrible as too are dealerships. I'll never ask the dealership to align again even if they cover the first with low mileage when new.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 121K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,962 Posts
My 2017 X5D X drive bought new was off. I had two dealerships realign it. After about 12,000 miles I realized my OEM Michelin RF's were going to be toast at about 20,000 miles. I went to an independent shop near me and for $150 had it properly aligned. Drives way better and the tires stopped wearing altogether. Both dealerships missed that one rear tire was way off causing it to drive oddly and wear tires rapidly. My take away, factory settings are terrible as too are dealerships. I'll never ask the dealership to align again even if they cover the first with low mileage when new.
To what numbers did you order your X5 aligned? Precisely. Before and after alignment sheets are always interesting.

·
Registered
85 Posts
To what numbers did you order your X5 aligned? Precisely. Before and after alignment sheets are always interesting.
I'm sorry but I didn't even ask for printouts. I'll be having Costco install some Michelin NRF's shortly and I'll run it over to my independent for an alignment check, ask for their printout and post it. Really pleased with how it handles currently. I'm riding on 19" square setup. 255/50/19 from the factory.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
The point of this entire thread is that you (usually) cannot jsut bring it to 'a great alignment guy' and says 'set it perfect to factory specs'... you will almost surely get an alignment that will result in some level of wear.

If you want to optimize your set up, YOU NEED TO ASK FOR SPECIFIC NUMBERS. You do this BEFORE you go to the shop and 'get a print out'. Once you have a print out, its too late. (Unless you want to pay again)

·
Registered
85 Posts
The point of this entire thread is that you (usually) cannot jsut bring it to 'a great alignment guy' and says 'set it perfect to factory specs'... you will almost surely get an alignment that will result in some level of wear.

If you want to optimize your set up, YOU NEED TO ASK FOR SPECIFIC NUMBERS. You do this BEFORE you go to the shop and 'get a print out'. Once you have a print out, its too late. (Unless you want to pay again)
[/QUOTE It's only logical (to coin a phrase). Could you or anyone here suggest where I could find these numbers for both of my BMW's, 2017 X5D x drive and 2018 540D M sport x drive. Thanks in advance

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
It's only logical (to coin a phrase). Could you or anyone here suggest where I could find these numbers for both of my BMW's, 2017 X5D x drive and 2018 540D M sport x drive. Thanks in advance
In this thread....

0.02 toe in on each of the 4 wheels

Camber set to about 'middle of the specd range', and IMPORTANTLY, balanced from side to side on each axle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are these the same specs for an '15 X5 (F15)? Getting new tires and alignment on Wed. I plan on walking in with the following written down: 0.02 toe in all 4 wheels, camber set to middle of the spec'd range, balanced from side to side on each axle

·
Nuclear engineer
23,962 Posts
Are these the same specs for an '15 X5 (F15)? Getting new tires and alignment on Wed. I plan on walking in with the following written down: 0.02 toe in all 4 wheels, camber set to middle of the spec'd range, balanced from side to side on each axle
Yes, same specs. Be careful; 0° 1' = 0.02°
IOW ZERO degrees plus ONE minute = ZERO degrees plus decimal ZERO TWO degrees. TWO hundredth of a degree.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, same specs. Be careful; 0° 1' = 0.02°
IOW ZERO degrees plus ONE minute = ZERO degrees plus decimal ZERO TWO degrees. TWO hundredth of a degree.
View attachment 1018253
Great information. This is going to my alignment guy next visit. Would you know if the G30 (540D x drive) with M sport would have the same spec's? BTW both my F15 and G30 have DHP's. I saw your chart specifies "steel springs". The X5 has air suspension on the rear and the 540 has it at least on the rear if not all the way round. Would this impact these alignment numbers to your knowledge? Thanks

·
Nuclear engineer
23,962 Posts
There are separate specification allowance sheets for the other suspension options. I don't know that they are different.

At a glance(!), at a glance they are not different.

The recommendation to 0.02°° toe-in and balanced mid-range camber is based on general principles and not on some peculiarity.

Hypothetically, why not align your car - or all cars - to ZERO toe and ZERO camber? What is the effect of minimum toe, what is the effect of maximum toe? What is the effect of minimum camber, what is the effect of maximum camber?

I believe that toe-OUT causes positive reinforcement of the angle, more toe-out, and toe-out causes dartiness for the positive feedback. Negative camber causes body roll in cornering to square the outside tire to the road. Of value only in extreme cornering.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Doug. Appreciate it. I will print that off and use that. Last question - I saw this on an earlier post from 4/2019:
a. .02 inches
b. .04 Degrees
c. 2.4 minutes
d. 0 degrees 2 mins 24 secs

Are the above correct depending on what measurement the shop uses or should it be different? So when I say to the guy "0.02," is that degrees or inches or something else? Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this.

·
Nuclear engineer
23,962 Posts
When I write 0.02° I mean ZERO degrees plus ZERO decimal ZERO TWO degrees. Two hundredths of a degree.

I told my BMW Service Center alignment mechanic “Two hundredths of a degree.”. He uses Beissbarth KDS alignment machine. Alignment checks in the years since have all been within machine error, i.e. pretty damn close.

Reactions: x5cincy

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Calculate with a supercomputer
Measure with a micrometer
Cut with an axe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh yeah, alignment woes.......X5 is new to me but some principles of alignments cover most vehicles. In younger years, after getting disappointing results from different alignment shops I decided to do it myself for a Porsche 911 and a 993. The Castor angle couldn't really be changed but Camber and Toe was adjustable. What's required? A perfectly level ground, a modified carpenter level to fit onto the wheel rim edge, 2 jack stands and a fine string. Sounds weird but remember that the Pyramids were build without laser technology. I wanted a mildly aggressive negative Camber front 1/2 degree and 1 degree rear. Using the modified level horizontally on the rims and recording the bubble position after each adjustment resulted in the alignment I wanted. For the Toe, I would set up the 2 jack stands with a string running in the middle of the wheels end to end and just measure from the string to the wheels to get a slight Toe-in for the front. Off to Oregon to try out how it feels. Shaniko, Fossil, Antelope were sweet words because the road was paradise........lots of curves and your ass would tell you if the alignment was good. :). Even though I wouldn't try the simplified alignment method on our X5, I did check the Camber settings with a modified carpenter level to make sure there is no difference between left and right. Level ground? Any Hwy. truck way scale is perfectly level. Go there when they're closed or not too busy. After a shop alignment, the bubble position in the level should be the same for both sides, front and rear respectively. Try it, a carpenter level is cheap and easily modified to fit the rim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had alignment done today on X5. Tech said my requested specs were out of line per the green/red indicators which were 0.08°-0.15° on their Hunter rack. He said machine specs are straight from BMW. I asked him to still align per the specs here: .02° toe in all on all 4, camber middle of spec'd range, balanced side to side even if he had to change his settings. Here is the before/after. He said if I needed anything to bring it back and he'll adjust it. How'd they do?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Had alignment done today on X5. Tech said my requested specs were out of line per the green/red indicators which were 0.08°-0.15° on their Hunter rack. He said machine specs are straight from BMW. I asked him to still align per the specs here: .02° toe in all on all 4, camber middle of spec'd range, balanced side to side even if he had to change his settings. Here is the before/after. He said if I needed anything to bring it back and he'll adjust it. How'd they do?
Nice work.

The alignment before was quite bad- unbalanced, which really 'drives' some of the tires to excessive wear. You will see the toe in the rear was positive on the L rear. Just a wag, but LF wear issues? What mileage did you get on what model tires, with that last alignment?

How does that handle now? You've 'gone against BMW'.... car must be ready to flip over and crash I'd guess... ;)
Oh, report back when you hit 40k miles!

161 - 180 of 219 Posts