BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had driven a 325i slushbox a month ago (friend @ BMWNA and I live up here next to Montvale). Only a brief spin, but the experience didn't make me sing and dance. Well, was back in Richmond over the weekend and got to pilot a 330i mit manual tranny around for an extended test drive (actually - it was a golf outing with sales friend of mine - so I can report from personal experience that the trunk will hold 2 sets of clubs, a cooler and 2 pairs of spikes all with ease and the load height is fine :p Hey - for some of us, this is important! ;) ).

Anyway - the 330i drivetrain just rocks. I've always hated Bimmer tranny's previously - I think they've always been Getrags but this one is light years better. Clutch is MUCH better - travel is shorter and the take up point isn't 20 feet off the floor anymore like the E46. Shifter is 100% improved - no more long throws and iffy engagement. No clutch stops and short shifting kit needed now IMHO. The 330i motor just shines. I'm not sure where people feel that it's gutless down low. Pulls cleanly and hard from 2000 rpm. Didn't abuse it with large RPM clutch dumps or anything but it takes off smartly and the magazines were right on - that 7000 rpm redline doesn't seem so silly once you get up to the fun part of the rev counter and hear that wonderful straight six snarl.

To keep this short - the rest of the interior is fine. Cupholders seem silly, I still don't like the MPG gauge (why not give us oil pressure or something useful there?). Sport seats are worth the price of the package alone. Sport suspension is fine on real roads - I certainly consider the sport pkg mandatory now. This one was a premium pkg also but I'd skip it personally. Go look at a model with 'ette and you'll probably agree. Steering wheel is great - the steering itself felt good. My personal standard for perfect steering was the old GTI I owned. This isn't that good, but it's not bad - just maybe a little too artifical feeling for my tastes. Although the price may seem high to some - skip the premium package, get heated seats (and Sat radio for me is a must have along with the BT kit) and you have one of the best values on the planet right now IMHO. Get ED from a dealer willing to play ball and it's a no-brainer. So much so that I plan on ED shopping within the next week or two (this should be fun explaining to my girlfriend.............. of course, I may have to order TWO after she test drives ;) ). Hey - at least you can still get 2-for-1 airfare. :)

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
I agree, the steering wheel was really nice, and the shifter feel was great, maybe the best BMW tranny I've experienced - though I didn't drive it. The sport seats are awesome, seemed narrower than the E46, which is good for me.

I'm still a fan of the Getrag in my car though. Long and slow maybe, but it feels great.

I think if I had a bigger garage (and $37k to blow) I might get a 330. I'll probably get an E46 ZHP or a 2006 Mini. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Moderato said:
I love driving MT cars. I especially love driving them in BMW's.
Not everyone is fortunate like you...my case the wife cannot drive stick...have been sticking with auto for a while

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
bmwaustin said:
Not everyone is fortunate like you...my case the wife cannot drive stick...have been sticking with auto for a while
My wife doesn't drive manual trannys either... so she doesn't drive my car.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
MARCUS545 said:
"wow - what a difference the stick makes!"

That's what my date said last night. :bigpimp:
You weren't up to the task and had to break out the toolbox? :dunno: :p

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
Plaz said:
You weren't up to the task and had to break out the toolbox? :dunno: :p
careful... the last thread that went this way was nuked while I was replying to it.... :dunno:

·
Registered
2011 X5 diesel, 371,000kms as of May 2021
875 Posts
Plaz said:
My wife doesn't drive manual trannys either... so she doesn't drive my car.
To get back to the topic, that is good to hear that the MT is good. I'm having the UUC DSSR put in tomorrow, and that will complete my mods...for now. All i feel really needed changing in my 325i E46 was the shifter and it needed a clutch stop.

I see myself in an E90 somewhere in the next year, maybe a wagon if they make a 330xi!!

The big crisis looming is that my wife wants me to get a slushbox and I refuse to get one. She's got her X5, so leave me and my 40,000km a year car alone!!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
obmd1 said:
careful... the last thread that went this way was nuked while I was replying to it.... :dunno:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MARCUS545 said:
"wow - what a difference the stick makes!"

That's what my date said last night. :bigpimp:
ok - gotta give you comedy points on that! I guess I should say something like "my girlfriend knows how to work a stick very well..........................oh, and yeah - she can drive a manual also" :rolleyes: Prepare for Lock-O-Matic (R) on this thread huh? :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
volsfan0911 said:
I had driven a 325i slushbox a month ago (friend @ BMWNA and I live up here next to Montvale). Only a brief spin, but the experience didn't make me sing and dance. Well, was back in Richmond over the weekend and got to pilot a 330i mit manual tranny around for an extended test drive (actually - it was a golf outing with sales friend of mine - so I can report from personal experience that the trunk will hold 2 sets of clubs, a cooler and 2 pairs of spikes all with ease and the load height is fine :p Hey - for some of us, this is important! ;) ).

Anyway - the 330i drivetrain just rocks. I've always hated Bimmer tranny's previously - I think they've always been Getrags but this one is light years better. Clutch is MUCH better - travel is shorter and the take up point isn't 20 feet off the floor anymore like the E46. Shifter is 100% improved - no more long throws and iffy engagement. No clutch stops and short shifting kit needed now IMHO. The 330i motor just shines. I'm not sure where people feel that it's gutless down low. Pulls cleanly and hard from 2000 rpm. Didn't abuse it with large RPM clutch dumps or anything but it takes off smartly and the magazines were right on - that 7000 rpm redline doesn't seem so silly once you get up to the fun part of the rev counter and hear that wonderful straight six snarl.

To keep this short - the rest of the interior is fine. Cupholders seem silly, I still don't like the MPG gauge (why not give us oil pressure or something useful there?). Sport seats are worth the price of the package alone. Sport suspension is fine on real roads - I certainly consider the sport pkg mandatory now. This one was a premium pkg also but I'd skip it personally. Go look at a model with 'ette and you'll probably agree. Steering wheel is great - the steering itself felt good. My personal standard for perfect steering was the old GTI I owned. This isn't that good, but it's not bad - just maybe a little too artifical feeling for my tastes. Although the price may seem high to some - skip the premium package, get heated seats (and Sat radio for me is a must have along with the BT kit) and you have one of the best values on the planet right now IMHO. Get ED from a dealer willing to play ball and it's a no-brainer. So much so that I plan on ED shopping within the next week or two (this should be fun explaining to my girlfriend.............. of course, I may have to order TWO after she test drives ;) ). Hey - at least you can still get 2-for-1 airfare. :)
CONGRATS!
Go and order and negotiate on your E90, now. Although I personally don't prefer a manual, I hear all kinds of Glowing Reviews on how fun the E90 330i SP, Manual is to drive :drive: . Go and Order! I already have. :)

·
Autobahn Junkie
35 Posts
Glad everyone notices the improved tranny action...

volsfan0911 said:
I've always hated Bimmer tranny's previously - I think they've always been Getrags but this one is light years better. Clutch is MUCH better - travel is shorter and the take up point isn't 20 feet off the floor anymore like the E46. Shifter is 100% improved - no more long throws and iffy engagement. No clutch stops and short shifting kit needed now IMHO.
The clutch takeup of the 330i sport was the best I've experienced a BMW. Immediate and progessive engagement as it's released. Try that in a VW. The pedal spacing is still close enough for good heel-toe downshifting. The shifter travel is probably an inch shorter than other none-M BMW's.

It'll be interesting to see how much more it can be improved with an SSK package.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
volsfan0911 said:
ok - gotta give you comedy points on that! I guess I should say something like "my girlfriend knows how to work a stick very well..........................oh, and yeah - she can drive a manual also" :rolleyes: Prepare for Lock-O-Matic (R) on this thread huh? :)
I think that even the Administrators are giving you points on that one....freakin' hysterical!

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
OK....so I made a funny. Now here's the great part: it looks like I've sold my 5-series and I'll be ordering a 330i MANUAL TRANNY for Munich delivery ASAP. I want to get back to working that stick. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
MARCUS545 said:
OK....so I made a funny. Now here's the great part: it looks like I've sold my 5-series and I'll be ordering a 330i MANUAL TRANNY for Munich delivery ASAP. I want to get back to working that stick. :thumbup:
Nice move.....I'll try to post pics when I pick mine up on May 25th.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
MARCUS545 said:
Sehr gut mein Freund. :thumbup: If Fate has a sense of humor, I'll see you there! :) ED for me definitely - I would rather spend the extra $$ in Europe anyway and my stick expert girlfriend ;) loves nothing better than coupons. Ummm - 7% off MSRP (with realistically more possible via intelligent negotiations) and 2-4-1 flights we might be picking up zwei BMW's. Ahhh, Das Leben ist gut, ja? Und, Ich spreche ein bischen Deutsch auch :p (ahh, life is good, yes? And I speak just a little German also)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts