BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just installed my UUC "Big Boy" clutch stop, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't get this thing sooner!

It's such a simple Mod, but it really transforms the shifting experience. Even set so that the ignition switch still works, the stop eliminates a lot of the "slack". You can really pop off shifts a lot quicker - and smoother. I can clearly imagine how much fun it must be combined with a short shifter.....hmmmm...gets me thinking!!

And yes, I don't feel the damn "clutch shudder" either! If the shudder is "normal" because of the self adjusting clutch - then this is the solution.

btw - have a 17mm allan wrench handy to tighten the lock nut (or loosen it if the car doesn't start!)

·
10,856 Posts
It's quite something. You click/shudder will almost certainly migrate upwards, though. I still get it and my clutch stop is right on the switch. (I have to push into the rubber a little bit to start the car.)

·
10,856 Posts
Go to uucmotorwerks.com

You can order it online. It's $20. Worth every single penny.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ack said:
GeoMax -

Where did you pick this up and how much was it? Sounds like a nice little mod to help shorten the clutch travel. Thanks!
I actually got it from Turner Motorsports here in MA, but like Nick said, you can get it direct from UUC.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Glad to hear that it will work in the 02's without any furthur mods to the switch. I wanted to add the clutch stop, but didn't want to have to mess with the switch. Probably doesn't eliminate quite as much free travel, but still sounds good. Thanks

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
is that definite....that there's no problems putting it in an '02?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
RChoudry said:
is that definite....that there's no problems putting it in an '02?
Well, if you don't screw it in enough, the car won't start. But with a little trial and error, you can find just where the switch stops working, then just screw the stop back in a turn more or so. Although you're not getting the max extension - it's still a big improvement over stock.

There's a guy over on E46Fanatics that posted a DIY on how to compensate for the switch for max extension, if you really want to go that far:

http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_Clutch_Stop.htm

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
geomax said:

There's a guy over on E46Fanatics that posted a DIY on how to compensate for the switch for max extension, if you really want to go that far:

http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_Clutch_Stop.htm
That's me, and I frequent bmw330ci more often than e46fanatics.
My DIY is for a home made clutch stop. I really don't think it's work $20, especially for such a simple mod.
The hack for the switch only works on 2001 and earlier models, as 2002's have a different switch.
If you are not going all the way, then the switch is out of the equation and my lil DIY should work for any model year.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JetBlack330i said:

That's me, and I frequent bmw330ci more often than e46fanatics.
My DIY is for a home made clutch stop. I really don't think it's work $20, especially for such a simple mod.
The hack for the switch only works on 2001 and earlier models, as 2002's have a different switch.
If you are not going all the way, then the switch is out of the equation and my lil DIY should work for any model year.
Hey, great site you put together by the way :thumbup: I for one definitely appreciate it when someone posts step by step DIY's.

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
geomax said:

Hey, great site you put together by the way :thumbup: I for one definitely appreciate it when someone posts step by step DIY's.
Er... I'd love to take the credit, but I can't.
I said I frequent the site, not that I own it.
I simply submitted my DYI to the site owner, as many people requested it after I reported my new mod there.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JetBlack330i said:

Er... I'd love to take the credit, but I can't.
I said I frequent the site, not that I own it.
I simply submitted my DYI to the site owner, as many people requested it after I reported my new mod there.
Oops. As they say here in Boston - "My Bad". Still a great DIY.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ok, need some explanation here.

I have a 2001 325xi. I played around with my clutch to see how little i would have to depress it to start (ie: how high a clutch stop could go), and it seemed like i would save an inch, maybe two, which really wasn't worth it since i can shift a good 5 inches above the stock clutch stop when driving aggressively.

I figured this had to do with the Clutch Delay Valve, but haven't had ANY time to get under the car to remove this ala Nick325xiT 5sp. Would JetBlack330i's DIY work to get improve/shorten the clutch travel necessary to allow the car to be turned on, or would i have to extract the CDV like Nick, and then throw in a clutch stop?

Not that i really have time to do either right now, but it would be nice to get this all cleared up.

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
If you read the DIY, there is no mention of any valve. I don't understand what clutch delay valves have to do with any of this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A clutch delay valve is designed to dampen drive line shock on clutch engagement and smooth out shifts. My understanding is that there is not a CDV on the 01 or 02 E46. Not sure about 99 and 00. I have seen a removal DIY posted on a 5 series.

A CDV even if present would not affect the mechanical function of the clutch arm in relation to a clutch stop or the clutch switch.

·
10,856 Posts
The CDV IS present on '01 and '02 325/330xi vehicles. It is not kown to be present on any of the RWD versions. (Some have postulated that it might be integrated into the master or slave cylinder.)

I've actually been playing with clutch stop height, and I've come to the conclusion that WHEN you have clutch feel, the clutch stop can actually make things less smooth. Before I removed the CDV from my car, I was a hard core clutch stop fan. Now, I'm a bit more ambivalent. The UUC clutch stop is still installed, and will remain so, but it's now pushed in all the way.

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
I've actually been playing with clutch stop height, and I've come to the conclusion that WHEN you have clutch feel, the clutch stop can actually make things less smooth.
According to Kebmike's explanation above, isn't it possible that your "less smooth" feel is caused by your removing the CDV, and has nothing to do with clutch stop?
I have a 330i (and according to you, I don't have a CDV), and I don't feel any difference in smoothness. That is, it's always not smooth. That's a known BMW problem with either the software or the drive-by-wire, isn't it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.