Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but since I own an e61 here goes...

Thoughts on if it makes sense to try and pop the exterior chrome window trim off and paint it black (after prepping it) OR is it best to just leave it on an wrap it with black vinyl? I'm looking to DIY this but I want it to last and look good (obviously).

TIA

·
Registered
995 Posts
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but since I own an e61 here goes...

Thoughts on if it makes sense to try and pop the exterior chrome window trim off and paint it black (after prepping it) OR is it best to just leave it on an wrap it with black vinyl? I'm looking to DIY this but I want it to last and look good (obviously).

TIA
The beauty of wrapping is that you don't have to remove anything. Just get an expert wrapper and after they are done it will look like it just drove off the line. Well, at least the trim will.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in Colorado so car washes at the gas station(s) (aka high pressure wash) are almost mandatory during the cold months. You're saying that the vinyl wrap doesn't handle that very well?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm in the same boat with the shiny window trim on my E61. Don't like it, and since I've painted tons of bits before I plan to simply mask it off, scuff the trim up a bit for adhesion, then primer and paint whatever matches the existing black bits. I use packing paper saved from Amazon box shipments, 600 grit sand paper, and don't use wrap as it won't adhere as well or have that longevity I want. Do it right, and do it once.
Prep will be time consuming but still safer than trying to remove and replace the trim pieces without damaging them.

·
where da clutch at ?
BMW 128i Convertible E88 N52B Executive Package
2,782 Posts
What about that spray on wrap, plastidip, mask and spray, but can peel off easily, that shouldnt wrinkle or peel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts