BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I press the brakes at speeds 50 and up, I get shaking in the steering wheel. I suspect a wrapped rotor. Does that sound right? I changed the back ones less than a year ago, the front looked OK, so I just switched the pads.

· Keeping it surreal
43,843 Posts
What`s it wrapped in ???

If you mean "warped", that ain`t too likely.....probably bad CABs, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.

· Enjoying E46 & E70
313 Posts
I think you meant "WARPED"... disc.

I recall that that can lead to the effect you describe but also I wonder if checking othe areas as well, such as the front suspension and related linkages to rule those out.

· Registered
482 Posts
Change the rotors. I have found that a "typical rotor" lasts about one and a half pad lengths. So I'm in the habit of changing pads and rotors at the same time. Generally I order a brake package from Bavauto and get stock rotors and pagid red pads. It usually comes with sensors and anti-squeal paste so I have acquired some extra stuff over the years. I did turn the first set of rotors on my e46 and they warped right away- they're too thin/soft so now I just replace them. If your pads have high spots from the old rotors, resurface them. Some sandpaper on a piece of glass works well- or replace them.

· Function over fashion
890 Posts
got to the stoptech.com site and read all about brakes in their white papers. you'll be a genius and won't ask about warped rotors again.
^^Definitely do this. Warped rotors are indeed uncommon, but still possible.

I started a thread here not that long ago about the same kind of problem. I had a sticking caliper that I didn't change right away when I changed my pads & rotors over a year ago now. I tried everything including bedding the brakes numerous times but until I changed the rotor, the problem would recur.

Try bedding the brakes a few times, and the wheel shake might go away. In my case it would actually get better after brake bedding but would not go away completely... then it would slowly return. New rotors = problem solved, in my case. But as others have mentioned, there are plenty of things to think about before throwing new rotors at it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.