BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as you know, the car was rear ended. Initial estimate was 12 my estimator thinks it's going to get up to about 20k. Damn that's a lot of damage to such a beautiful car. Depending on what they say it's worth I may be dealing with a total loss here. Actually at this point I hope it is. Does the convertible's have any wind noise in them? My coupe is not the quietest car at all, but I am really thinking about a vert. Hell I may even trade it in after they fix it. Pleae let me knwo. thanks.

·
Registered
708 Posts
there minor wind noise in the interior.. noticable when driving and strong winds occur at the same time. i'd say you'll notice it at about 60mph but really? put the top down and enjoy the wind blowing around your ears:D or with top up crank the stereo a little higher and you won't even notice it;)

·
Registered
540 Posts
as you know, the car was rear ended. Initial estimate was 12 my estimator thinks it's going to get up to about 20k. Damn that's a lot of damage to such a beautiful car. Depending on what they say it's worth I may be dealing with a total loss here. Actually at this point I hope it is. Does the convertible's have any wind noise in them? My coupe is not the quietest car at all, but I am really thinking about a vert. Hell I may even trade it in after they fix it. Pleae let me knwo. thanks.
The Cab will definately be louder than the coupe. But the trade off is that it's a convertible!

Put the top down and go for it. It's not like it going to sound like your in a wind tunnel or anything like that. Just more noticable than the coupe. Even with the top down and on the highway and can easily communicate with a passenger. So for converts quieter than my old M Roadster.

I live in NH, but will use the car mostly between May-Oct. You live in Texas, you should have that top down all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear you got a shot at turning a lemon into lemonade :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
With the top up, you'll notice a bit of reverberation of the top as you pass a truck on the highway, but it isn't bad.

With the top down, the wind screen makes a huge difference. I had my 05 645 for almost a year before getting the windscreen. Completely different with it on. I kept it when I sold my 6 last November, so if you do decide to go with a vert and want a windscreen, drop me a line.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Funny you should ask about wind noise in the 6 convertible because I was driving mine the other day and thinking about how solid this car is compared to another convertible I used to own - an SC430. I've experienced no rattles or squeaks and wind noise (with the top up) is barely perceptible.

·
Registered
540 Posts
With the top up, you'll notice a bit of reverberation of the top as you pass a truck on the highway, but it isn't bad.

With the top down, the wind screen makes a huge difference. I had my 05 645 for almost a year before getting the windscreen. Completely different with it on. I kept it when I sold my 6 last November, so if you do decide to go with a vert and want a windscreen, drop me a line.
I thought the rear window operates as a windscreen independant of the top. Or is that an 08 feature only?

·
Banned
2,928 Posts
i think only 08s have that option

·
Bimmer Driver
397 Posts
i think only 08s have that option
no all the verts can put that glass up without the top ive seen it, but its probably not nearly as effective as the actual windscreen

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Funny you should ask about wind noise in the 6 convertible because I was driving mine the other day and thinking about how solid this car is compared to another convertible I used to own - an SC430. I've experienced no rattles or squeaks and wind noise (with the top up) is barely perceptible.
Never owned a "vert but I have to say it is amazingly quiet...there is noise difference vs my 530i sedan but not much and top down driving in fantastic

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks may go and test one out today.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
thanks may go and test one out today.
I was worried about noise as well..and there is a definite small adjustment but after taking someone who owned a non BMW vert for a ride I was told the car was extremely quiet..you probably get more road noise from the RFT on a vert as well
You will hear some noise but will not hear wind noise from gaps or poor seals

I drove the vert on a Nov day in Tampa, it was 75 degrees and that was all I need to know I wanted the convertible

·
Registered
540 Posts
no all the verts can put that glass up without the top ive seen it, but its probably not nearly as effective as the actual windscreen
The impression I'm getting is the back window does deflect some wind, but you're right, not as effective as a windscreen accessory.

Personally I drove a cabrio with the window up and thought it was more than sufficient.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The vert top is also triple insulated and fully lined so there are no ribs showing. It's even quiet at Autobahn speeds (quieter than our X5 even). The wind screen is worth its weight in gold and beautifully engineered so you can fold it down when its raining, and even as the evening cools, putting the side windows up and checking the "convertible" box on the iDrive (yet another surprising feature, to direct more air to the passengers than would occur with the top up) one can drive around with the temp in the 40's and not be uncomfortable. Besides, life's too short to live it without a convertible, even in Connecticut.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The vert top is also triple insulated and fully lined so there are no ribs showing. It's even quiet at Autobahn speeds (quieter than our X5 even). The wind screen is worth its weight in gold and beautifully engineered so you can fold it down when its raining, and even as the evening cools, putting the side windows up and checking the "convertible" box on the iDrive (yet another surprising feature, to direct more air to the passengers than would occur with the top up) one can drive around with the temp in the 40's and not be uncomfortable. Besides, life's too short to live it without a convertible, even in Connecticut.
DITTO!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
434 Posts
How does checking the "convertible" box in iDrive re-direct air?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Didn't take measurements, but surmise it mostly turns up the fans a bit to bathe driver and passenger in interior air flow, thereby minimizing the turbulence otherwise caused by outside air. As usual, the owner's manual is long on lists of features and short as to how they operate. But it works!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts