BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dammit, some f****r rear ended me this morning on the freeway this morning in stop and go traffic.

I filed the claim today. Hopefully, their adjuster will call me back soon. The trunk won't close, and I had to remove my interior lighting fuse in order to keep the trunk lighting off, so as not to drain the battery. This also means I can't roll my windows down or lock or unlock the car remotely, etc.

Sigh!

Modeboy

·
10,856 Posts
Ouch! Damned stupid drivers.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

But from the pictures I can say that the fenders are not damaged, which is very very good. New trunk lid, bumper, paint job and you're fine.

Doesn't look bad.

Glad you're fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Crash

That freakin' sucks!! I would've shot the m-****er!!

Just kidding, but I would've been mighty mighty pissed... and then probably shot the m-****er!!

If I had a gun, of course, which I don't. But if I did I probably would've shot the m-****er!!

Am I making myself clear?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Alex is right on - a good body shop will work wonders with that. My Old Man crashed his ML430, and caved in the entire front end. Huge damage. But when he got it back, it looked brand new. Amazing.

Look around and find the best possible body shop, with the best reputation, and then negotiate with your insurance company to see if they will pay. Often, insurance companies have "preferred" body shops they like to work with because the place will give them a discount. But this doesn't necessarily mean they do good work.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Crashes suck:thumbdwn: but at least you are ok:thumb:

You should be able to find the trunk switch, and by-pass it. This way you will be able to replace fuse, and use your windows and key remote again.

I don't have a CI, but I'm sure someone here can tell you here the switch is.

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
:bawling:

Sorry to hear of this. As noted by Alex, it should be a realitively easy fix but even so it sucks:(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the support! I filed the claim on the other person's insurance -- not on mine. So, hopefully, it won't affect mine at all. It was his fault, after all.

Does anyone know how to disable the trunk lights without removing the interior lights fuse? That way I can get my windows back. It sucks having to go through a drive through and open my doors. :)

Modeboy

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Why not just pull the bulbs from the trunk lights? IIRC, there are two bulb holders, on on either side of the trunk opening. You could pull the bulbs or just loosen them so they don't light and tape them in place so you don't lose them.

modeboy said:
Thanks for the support! I filed the claim on the other person's insurance -- not on mine. So, hopefully, it won't affect mine at all. It was his fault, after all.

Does anyone know how to disable the trunk lights without removing the interior lights fuse? That way I can get my windows back. It sucks having to go through a drive through and open my doors. :)

Modeboy

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
What was it that hit you, an SUV? Looks like the bumper rode up your trunk and didnt' touch YOUR bumper.

Another reason to ban all SUV on the road. It looks like if it had not impacted the trunk but just the bumper, the repairs would be less than $1,000 for a new bumper impact absorber AND a new bumper cover. As it is now, you'll probably need a new trunk lid and new rear fenders. :(

Really sorry to hear that. Hopefully everything will be repaired to as good as new.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Alex Baumann said:

Why new fenders ? The fenders are looking OK to me.
Yeah, I took a second look and it looked fine to me too...At first glance, the car is so dirty I was shocked and thought that the fenders needs to be replaced as well.

Still, if it had impacted the bumper the repairs would be much less.

·
Suffering from BMWitis
96 Posts
Ouch! Luckily, it looks like your quarter panels were not damaged from what I can tell in the pictures. Here are a few pics of my '00 323Ci when it was rear ended less than 3 months after I picked it up.

Luckily you have a darker metallic color that should be easier to match than the titanium silver I had. After six resprays the body shop still could not get the color match right. Total cost of repair was around $8000, but looking back now it should have been more (if a better body shop had been used). So you see, it could be worse!

I hope the repair process goes well for you. Keep us posted on the results. And by the way-check into a diminished value claim.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The HACK said:

Yeah, I took a second look and it looked fine to me too...At first glance, the car is so dirty I was shocked and thought that the fenders needs to be replaced as well.

Still, if it had impacted the bumper the repairs would be much less.
The truck that hit me was a commercial vehicle -- called a Freightliner. The bumper on it hit right in the middle of my trunk lid. And the car was not all that dirty -- quite clean, actually. I adjusted the gamma on those pics way up to bring out some more of the detail -- they weren't nearly that bright when I took them. Here's what Classic BMW Collision Center estimated needs to be done:

QUARTER PANEL
Rpr LT Quarter panel w/o M3
Add for clear coat
Rpr RT Quarter panel w/o M3
Overlap major adjacent panel
Add for clear coat
R&I RT side molding primed w/o M3
R&I LT side molding primed w/o M3
Replace RT Belt molding bright black
Replace LT Belt molding bright black

REAR BODY PANEL
Replace Rear Body panel
Add for clear coat
Add for inside
Replace RT and LT tail lamp assy coupe

TRUNK LID
Replace Trunk lid coupe
Add for clear coat
Add for Underside (Complete)
Replace Nameplate 330Ci
Replace Emblem BMW

REAR BUMPER
O/H Rear bumper
Replace Bumper cover
Add for clear coat
Replace RT and LT aborber
Replace Reinforcement
hazardous waste
cover car
flex additive

Refn Color sand and buff
Algn Setup up and pull

Their total is $3825.74 for everything including tax. He said it could be $5-$6k once they tear it down. I still have yet to hear from the adjuster.

Most of it makes sense to me, but not all of it. Anyone else more familiar with the terminology?

Modeboy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Eric Giles said:
And by the way-check into a diminished value claim.
Can you tell me what all is involved with that? I read up a little on it, but do I just ask the adjuster I want compensation for diminished value? What if they say they don't cover diminished value? I'm in Texas. Do I have to get it appraised after the repairs are done? Any info you could provide would be appreciated.

Modeboy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts