BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
'2009' 535i, N55 (B30)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I used O'reily's premixed 50/50 Universal coolant to top off my 2009 535i, before watching videos specific to BMW all seemed recommend strongly for using only BMW blue coolant which is got me really nervous.
I don't know how bad it is for the car, and if I should go get it flushed...
I'd love some advice on this please.
Thank you.

· Registered
2009 550i
661 Posts
Unlike some other coolants in the market, BMW "blue" coolant has no nitrite and phosphate. As such, it is the most effective in preventing corrosion and build-up on aluminum components. Other coolants may match these characteristics, but going with the BMW coolant is a safe bet.

· Officially a BMW Addict
1,278 Posts
Get it flushed and next time use something similar to the BMW coolant. Ive been topping up with prestone euro.

· Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
5,728 Posts
Hello,
I used O'reily's premixed 50/50 Universal coolant to top off my 2009 535i, before watching videos specific to BMW all seemed recommend strongly for using only BMW blue coolant which is got me really nervous.
I don't know how bad it is for the car, and if I should go get it flushed...
I'd love some advice on this please.
Thank you.
Exactly which coolant from O'Reilly's did you use and how much did you put in?

· Registered
'2009' 535i, N55 (B30)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unlike some other coolants in the market, BMW "blue" coolant has no nitrite and phosphate. As such, it is the most effective in preventing corrosion and build-up on aluminum components. Other coolants may match these characteristics, but going with the BMW coolant is a safe bet.
Get it flushed and next time use something similar to the BMW coolant. Ive been topping up with prestone euro.
Yes...I have an appointment to bring it to have the whole system check to see if there's a slow leak first, then a flush.
Thanks.

· Registered
'2009' 535i, N55 (B30)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly which coolant from O'Reilly's did you use and how much did you put in?
It was almost empty but thankfully not dry. So I did put quite a bit unfortunately, on the advice of a friend who said "it's all the same and it'd be alright". I am happy to know I could ask and get some answers/help from this community as I ready myself for the rocky roads ahead caring for my aging German Beauty. LOL

· Registered
747 Posts
By "almost empty", I assume that you mean the level of the expansion tank. You may have a slow leak somewhere. As for coolant, use genuine BMW coolant. Not too expensive at the dealership. I think that the last time I purchased it, it was $22 a gallon, give or take. Do not use it full strength. Mix it 50/50 with DISTILLED water (available at any grocery store). The point being is that you want your coolant to be free of minerals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.