BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rumratt said:
:rofl:

Sucker. :p Just get a supercharger now, and satisfy that thirst once and for all.
:flipoff: :rofl:

Damn supercharger would cost as much as two of your E30s. :lmao:

What finally swung me on the diff waffle was the opinion of an old-school bimmerphile I know... he put a 3.76 (?) in his E28 (that has an E34 engine/tranny). He immediately said to me "Do it! It will be the best mod you've ever done."

He agreed with all the theory with regard to shift points, overall speed, etc... but said the FEEL of a diff swap throws all the theory out the window. It just feels great, according to him.

That's all I needed. :thumbup:

·
blah
2,247 Posts
Plaz said:
the FEEL of a diff swap throws all the theory out the window. It just feels great, according to him.

That's all I needed. :thumbup:
Sounds good to me. :thumbup: Let me know how it goes.

You installing it yourself? :eek:

:rofl: :p

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rumratt said:
You installing it yourself? :eek:
I'm still waffling on that, but honestly, it's probably pretty unlikely. I'm still patting myself on the back for my successful brake pad replacement... which took roughly 1,483 times longer than it should have. :rofl:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Nice choice in mod :thumbup: You will like the pop you get from that one....I did as well as those REs you have :cry: :(

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
What's stopping you at 3.38? There are at least 2 even shorter ratios to aim for!

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dr. Phil said:
Nice choice in mod :thumbup: You will like the pop you get from that one....I did as well as those REs you have :cry: :(
:thumbup:

I just may see the good Dr. Liaw in Ho-Ho-Kus for this, if the timing works out. I have to find a freaking diff first, though. :rofl:

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kaz said:
What's stopping you at 3.38? There are at least 2 even shorter ratios to aim for!
I'd like more usable torque off the line, but I don't need to pave my driveway with expensive Bridgestone rubber. :D

Looking at gearing calculators, 3.38 just seems like a good balance. Looks to me like what it should have come with from the factory, for the US market anyway. Without a sixth gear, 3.46 might be a little tiresome on the highway, and anything shorter than that would be just silly, I think.

·
10,856 Posts
My 323 will be getting a 3.62 LSD eventually, I think.

It's all about time in gear...

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Plaz said:
I'd like more usable torque off the line, but I don't need to pave my driveway with expensive Bridgestone rubber. :D

Looking at gearing calculators, 3.38 just seems like a good balance. Looks to me like what it should have come with from the factory, for the US market anyway. Without a sixth gear, 3.46 might be a little tiresome on the highway, and anything shorter than that would be just silly, I think.
where are you looking at to purchase?

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wheel-man said:
where are you looking at to purchase?
Anywhere I can get a good one at a reasonable price... have you a lead?

·
10,856 Posts
wheel-man said:
bimmerworld and koala racing is what i've found so far. wondering if quaife makes one... heard anything?
There is no quaife.

I think Plaz was just lookign for a 3.38 open diff, though.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
There is no quaife.

I think Plaz was just lookign for a 3.38 open diff, though.
Correct... as much as I'd like an LSD, I'm looking to spend hundreds, not thousands.

·
VIII
8,087 Posts
Post a review as soon as you get it. I've been thinking about going with the 3.38 but I've been going crazy reading all this theory on shift points, road speed in each gear, & redline and I just don't want the car to feel faster but not actually be faster. Where are you going to get it installed? If you know someone good I'd like to know because I want someone who knows what the're doing for this job.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's still sitting in a box in my garage.

I'm going to install it myself one of these weekends.

·
VIII
8,087 Posts
Plaz said:
It's still sitting in a box in my garage.

I'm going to install it myself one of these weekends.
Where did you get it? How many miles? Hurry up and install it, I want to know if you start pulling away from other cars any faster then now, or if it just makes the car "feel" faster. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts