Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used it several times in the past put this time instead of using the One Grand Omega glaze before the Blitz I used the 3M IHG. The side of the car appears to be still holding up, but the hood, roof and trunk are not. This is strange. :dunno: I've been using the Sonax Car Wash Shampoo. :dunno:

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Sean said:
I've used it several times in the past put this time instead of using the One Grand Omega glaze before the Blitz I used the 3M IHG. The side of the car appears to be still holding up, but the hood, roof and trunk are not. This is strange. :dunno: I've been using the Sonax Car Wash Shampoo. :dunno:
As you know, typically the hood, trunk lid are the first to 'wear off'. As to why Blitz didn't hold up, I haven't a clue. One month seems very short. How are you determining it?

I use 3 methods:
"Sheeting": When a straight hose is held to the hood, the water sheets off, leaving very little, if any water after the hose it turned off/moved away. If the water sheets but does not move off the hood, its a sign of no wax.

Rain beading: If the water beads are present, if they blend together into patches of sheeting water without coming off, its a sign the wax is no longer present.

Fingernail test: using the back of your fingernails, lightly drag them across the finish, if its slippery, then wax is present..if it has resistence (similar to a blackboard) then no wax is present.

·
5,820 Posts
Also, a common mistake is washing the car with warm or hot water. Softens and removes wax. I use cold water and the wax lasts longer.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
One test you could conduct with Sonax is this:

Put some wax on your fingers, mash it a bit between them(paste type wax would be best for this type of test), then before your next wash, dip them into the prepped bucket (with soap) and rub your fingers back and forth...if the wax remains, then its a car-safe soap...it the wax comes off and leaves your fingers 'squeaky' clean then your stripping the wax when you wash with that brand of soap (and on an off-topic note, use Dawn to clean your Wax pads! Just be sure to rinse them good afterward)

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
One other note: Any car shampoo, in strong enough dillution, will strip carnauba wax (according to a professional detailer I spoke with)...he recommends using 1/2 strength of whatever type of car wash you use..except in cases where the road grime or dirt has really built up. If you are washing 2-4 times a month, 1/2 strength is sufficient in most cases.

·
5,820 Posts
Ripsnort said:
One other note: Any car shampoo, in strong enough dillution, will strip carnauba wax (according to a professional detailer I spoke with)...he recommends using 1/2 strength of whatever type of car wash you use..except in cases where the road grime or dirt has really built up. If you are washing 2-4 times a month, 1/2 strength is sufficient in most cases.
I use p21s body shampoo and I believe it suggests one capful per bucket. I get suds and foam in the bucket but have always been disappointed that there are very few suds on the car after a couple of swipes with a loaded mitt. Mitt always glided nicely and the car gets clean so I just accepted it. My wax seems to last a long time and the BOS wax that I just put on with the PC seems to bead up significantly more than Blitz and I suspect will last longer. May be the wax but I think much of the credit goes to the PC.

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: WTH! Blitz held up less than 1 month.

Ripsnort said:

If the water sheets but does not move off the hood, its a sign of no wax.

Rain beading: If the water beads are present, if they blend together into patches of sheeting water without coming off, its a sign the wax is no longer present.

Yes and Yes.

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
johnlew said:
Also, a common mistake is washing the car with warm or hot water. Softens and removes wax. I use cold water and the wax lasts longer.

I only use hose water and it's fairly cold here in East Tennessee.

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
johnlew said:

I use p21s body shampoo and I believe it suggests one capful per bucket. I get suds and foam in the bucket but have always been disappointed that there are very few suds on the car after a couple of swipes with a loaded mitt. Mitt always glided nicely and the car gets clean so I just accepted it. My wax seems to last a long time and the BOS wax that I just put on with the PC seems to bead up significantly more than Blitz and I suspect will last longer. May be the wax but I think much of the credit goes to the PC.

I'm very curious to put my new PC to work (on the 525 and the Grand Cherokee first), but the weather does not want to seem to cooperate. :mad:

·
Senior Slacker
5,646 Posts
Hmmmm

The dealer put Blitz on and I used it again in February, still beading and I think I have another month before I need to wax again. To be fair I do not wash every week and my car is garaged day and night. I have used some QD after washes but I think the Blitz is holding pretty well.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Re: Hmmmm

vexed said:
The dealer put Blitz on and I used it again in February, still beading and I think I have another month before I need to wax again. To be fair I do not wash every week and my car is garaged day and night. I have used some QD after washes but I think the Blitz is holding pretty well.

QD'ing is highly suggested and extends any carnauba wax life :thumb: WTG Vexed, sounds like your taking care of your finish the right way! :thumb:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Re: Re: Hmmmm

Ripsnort said:

QD'ing is highly suggested and extends any carnauba wax life :thumb: WTG Vexed, sounds like your taking care of your finish the right way! :thumb:
Rip you need to remember that Vexed is an under study to Alee:yikes: :lmao: As am I ... oh no I can't believe I just typed that

He's got a good case of OCD working for himself;)

As for QD, I've definately noticed that regular use of Speed Shine has really paid off. Smooth, retained shine, and helps to reduce need for washing (good thing since we are under drought restrictions).:thumb:

·
Senior Slacker
5,646 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Hmmmm

PM 325xiT said:

Rip you need to remember that Vexed is an under study to Alee:yikes: :lmao: As am I ... oh no I can't believe I just typed that

He's got a good case of OCD working for himself;)

As for QD, I've definately noticed that regular use of Speed Shine has really paid off. Smooth, retained shine, and helps to reduce need for washing (good thing since we are under drought restrictions).:thumb:
Compared to you I am a mere amateur But I confess last night I was shopping and found a bigger bottle of QD for a better price so....and they also had Meguiar's Hot Wheel Cleaner...and then there was a special brush to clean the inside of the window at the bottom...:tsk:

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hmmmm

vexed said:

Compared to you I am a mere amateur But I confess last night I was shopping and found a bigger bottle of QD for a better price so....and they also had Meguiar's Hot Wheel Cleaner...and then there was a special brush to clean the inside of the window at the bottom...:tsk:
That's not an amateur shopping list:confused: I live closer to Alee so I guess I pick up the vibes easier:p

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been using Blitz wax for 3 years and I think the stuff is great. I have noticed though that some auto shampoos which are suppose to be wax friendly, aren't, at least with Blitz. Currently I have Sonax, BMW Autoshampoo and P21S in my inventory of shampoos. I've found that the BMW shampoo removed the wax after 1 washing, so I use this to wash my wheels/tires/wheelwells. Sonax also quickens the removal of Blitz but it does add a little shine. I use this on my wife's car since I don't detail it as often as my own. For my car, I only use P21S. I guess it's more compatible with Blitz wax because after 3 months of Winter weather w/o waxing, water still sheets off the surface of my car.

Since I keep my car in top condition all the time anyway, waxing once a month with Blitz only takes me an hour, No Biggie. If you haven't tried P21S Bodywork Shampoo, give it a try, I think you'll like it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
HellrotCi said:
Since I keep my car in top condition all the time anyway, waxing once a month with Blitz only takes me an hour, No Biggie. If you haven't tried P21S Bodywork Shampoo, give it a try, I think you'll like it.
I had equally good results with P21S Shampoo and Blitz. Good combination. I'm using it on my wife's Jetta.

Now I'm on the Zaino train. That stuff is supposed to last for 6+ months.

--gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nat Brown said:

Now I'm on the Zaino train. That stuff is supposed to last for 6+ months.

--gary
Yeah, you're the reason I'm highly tempted to give Zaino a try.

Always in search of the Ultimate Shine for my ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE!

·
Registered
590 Posts
HellrotCi said:
Yeah, you're the reason I'm highly tempted to give Zaino a try.

Always in search of the Ultimate Shine for my ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE!
I was highly skeptical of Zaino myself. When I first read posts by Alee and others on bimmer.org, I thought they were out of their mind because of all the talk about multiple coats. It seemed a little nutty. It wasn't until a friend of mine bought some and reported back the results that I decided to give it a shot.

What really opened my eyes was the clay bar. There's nothing particularly special about the Zaino clay bar, but going with their system, I used clay for the first time, and have been very impressed with the results. I clayed my new 330i, then my wife's 5-year old Jetta (what a difference!). Now I walk around at work looking at cars, thinking how much better they would look with an hour of clay work. Give me something to clay!

If I was fanatical about a cleaning product or process, it would be clay. Zaino is interesting because it's my first experience with the reflective shine you get with polymer, but I'm learning that prep work is where you can be a true detail artist -- clay bar being one aspect of prep work.

But getting back on topic, Blitz is known for its durability. Many have made the distinction between daily driver waxes and garage queen waxes. Blitz seems to be the king of daily driver waxes. Zymol rules with garage queens.

--gary

·
Cheapassaurus Rex
128 Posts
HellrotCi said:
I've been using Blitz wax for 3 years and I think the stuff is great. I have noticed though that some auto shampoos which are suppose to be wax friendly, aren't, at least with Blitz. Currently I have Sonax, BMW Autoshampoo and P21S in my inventory of shampoos. I've found that the BMW shampoo removed the wax after 1 washing, so I use this to wash my wheels/tires/wheelwells. Sonax also quickens the removal of Blitz but it does add a little shine. I use this on my wife's car since I don't detail it as often as my own. For my car, I only use P21S. I guess it's more compatible with Blitz wax because after 3 months of Winter weather w/o waxing, water still sheets off the surface of my car.

My 2 cents re. Sonax and BMW Autoshampoo. A year or two ago, Carcareonline was out of Sonax. I asked them if the BMW Autoshampoo might possibly be the same thing and the answer was yes.

I still have a bottle each of Malm's polish and wax from my 911 days and tend to use it. No idea how it stacks up against the other products but I guess if I search online....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts