BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody
2 months ago got MY 06 x-5 4.4. Great car, tremendous power and comfort.
Just wondering why in the manual mode even at the full stop it stay at 3-rd gear.
I have to down shift MYSELF to 2-nd or 1-st. In my x-3 3.0 transmission goes automatic to 2-nd gear.
Asked my dealer- was told that it was done by BMW bx of huge torque of V-8.
Any comments
Thanks Alex:thumbup:

·
Registered
748 Posts
I often wonder why it will only drop down to 3rd (4.4) or 2nd (3.0) in manual mode, but it seems that it will drop down to 1st if you leave it in auto :dunno:

·
Registered
214 Posts
The ECU for the tranny is programmed to start in 2nd/3rd, depending on your driving patterns. This is in order to maximize the EPA fuel economy testing.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Starting in 2nd/3rd from a dead stop in auto mode is not true...at least on my 3.0i. I counted 4 shift points (5-speed step) every single time when getting up to speed to 60-70mph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Starting in 2nd/3rd from a dead stop in auto mode is not true...at least on my 3.0i. I counted 4 shift points (5-speed step) every single time when getting up to speed to 60-70mph.
read this

The ECU for the tranny is programmed to start in 2nd/3rd, depending on your driving patterns. This is in order to maximize the EPA fuel economy testing.
mine starts in second

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,025 Posts
Regarding the OP: when in Manual mode, the tranny holds its gear even if you come to a complete stop. Only exception is if you press the accelerator past the detent to kick down. This was true in my E39 540, it's true in my X5, and also in my E60 550. It's a convention you will learn to live with - or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.