BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I see that the 2017 X1 has a cargo space of 27.1 cu ft, and I am wondering if that includes the space under the bottom cover (where the spare goes) or not.
I'm just surprised because on paper the 2017 X3 has about the same cargo space (27.6 cu ft) but feels much bigger.
Does anyone have the 3 dimensions to share (height, width, depth)?
Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Check out this thread:

http://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1328220

It looks like if you measure the space using the dimensions of 1000mm x 840mm x 700mm (this isn't to the ceiling) you end up with about 21 cubic feet). This excludes the side pocket areas.

The underfloor area appears to be 900mm x 700mm x 200mm, which is about 4.5 cubic feet.

The side pocket areas appear to add maybe 1.5 more cubic feet.

However, I measured my own car with the sliding rear bench. If you make the seat backs vertical, and move them all the way to the rear and measure completely to the ceiling, you end up with a number close to 27 cubic feet not including the underfloor area. however, it's kind of impractical to actually pack it this full since items will likely fall over the seats into the cabin...

I believe the cargo area under the cargo cover if you don't remove it is something like 17 cubic feet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! that's very helpful.
At the same time, a bit disappointing because when comparing X1 and X3 on cargo volume alone, it doesn't seem an apples-to-apples comparison. Do you know if there's a similar thread on the X3? I have browsed a bit, but couldn't find any thread with dimensions.
I might just go to the dealership and take the measurements myself! :p
Thanks again!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I couldn't find any info on the actual dimension either. I do remember looking at the X3's trunk and thinking it wasn't a whole lot bigger.

The X3 is 184" long, while the X1 is 175" long. Most of that difference is probably taken up by the engine bay on the X3, so I don't think the cargo area is drastically different.

·
Registered
148 Posts
th interior dimensions of the X1 and X3 are remarkably similar and comparable. not just trunk, but other basic measures. the exterior is notably smaller for,X1, but the 'packaging' is done well to make interior similar. i imagine the new X3 for 2018 with the redesign might adjust that a bit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you may be right! I ended up going to the dealership and measured the two trunks :)

Here's what I found, in inches (see attachment):
- X1 2017: A=35, B=34, C=18, D=40
- X3 2017: A=36, B=35, C=18, D=43

Although they are similar in cargo space (reassuring when having to make a choice based on this), it is frustrating because what they advertise is far from what I would expect. They are most definitely not measuring up to the cargo cover, but way higher than that - probably to the ceiling of the car. There's no way that you get any close to 27 cu ft under the cargo cover.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts