BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Don't need an SUV; the 3er touring fits the bill. It's not like the X1 has stellar cargo capacity, and the 3er rides better. Then there are the hatchbacks like the VW Golf and the Ford Focus, both of which have excellent manual gearboxes. I would know, I've driven both.

There aren't many places that need AWD. The VW Tiguan and Hyundai Tucson come in base form with MT.

It's not like the X1 in North America has an MT available anyway. Let's be honest, the American market, heck, even the world market just doesn't care for manuals in trucks anymore. Even the Germans are gravitating towards the 8AT in the X3 because the 6MT doesn't quite work as well.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
would not surprise me if BMW rush into mid-life upgrading the X1 to compete with better equipped Q3

·
Who, me?
2,733 Posts
I'm not surprised...

We are looking at doing a 24 month lease soon... I'll be very surprised if the X1 is here by the time we are up, in two years..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Winter weekend car

There aren't many places that need AWD. The VW Tiguan and Hyundai Tucson come in base form with MT.
Both are not available with AWD and manual in US.

I need winter weekend car to go skiing, ice climbing, hiking in the mountains.
My daily driver is BMW 1M, which I would not want to take there even with snow tires.

So I need small SUV/wagon with manual and AWD.
The only option comes to mind is MINI Countrymen.

·
Estorilblau ///Member
105 Posts
Given the delay already, this announcement does not surprise me. It annoys the hell out of me, but it does not surprise me. Looks like I'll have to find another AWD SUV with good gas mileage. Not an easy task, though.

AWD is not NEEDED, but it's very nice to have. It is advantageous in numerous states. Basically any state north of Missouri has sizable snow falls, and for those of us that live in the upper states of the US, we have significant snow falls.
Audi and Subaru do extremely well in the northern US due to their AWD systems. BMW xDrive cars sell very well up here as well.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
For the time being...

I'll keep driving my 2006 X3 3.0i manual/m-sport/premium and not worry about it for now. But when the time comes to replace it, I'm hoping there's an X1 manual available here in the US. I'm just not interested in driving an automatic, so that really limits the options. Fortunately, I also really like the new VW GTI and Audi A4.
Speaking of which, after driving my father's 2009 Audi A4 Avant 2.0T Quattro all week, I'm definitely a fan. The 4-cylinder turbo has more than enough grunt to merge safely even on New York's parkways (Belt, Wantaugh, Southern State, etc.) with their short on ramps and the LIE.

-James
Seattle, WA
2006 X3 3.0i manual, m-sport, premium, xenons, PDC

·
Registered
339 Posts
This is disappointing.

I had an X3, but went back to a 335 because I missed the sport feeling and didn't need the SUV aspects as much as I thought. I really wanted the X1 as the second car. Best of both. The size is perfect! Especially since the new X3 is even bigger.

Oh well. VW Tiguan, Audi A3, or Subaru then.

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Countryman Cooper S ALL 4 is the only option and it comes under 30K with options I want.
(all other models are FWD).

Looks like everybody likes how it drives, need to try for myself.

·
Registered
339 Posts
YES! I saw that while browsing for a 335d. It is cool. How does the Mini Countryman S AWD compare size wise to the X1?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's shorter than X1 - more like Audi A3 but wider.
70.4" x 161.8" for MINI
70.8" x 175.4" for X1

·
Registered
339 Posts
Wow. thanks! I parked next to one. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a mini. But then when I got out of my 335, I realized it was not a mini, mini. It is a nice size. But, it still felt a bit small, only because my brain keeps telling me the design is a mini.

it quite strange how the brain can do that.

thanks for posting! Exactly what I was hoping for. Its the overall size "impression" that I was missing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
:mad:
Now I really, really want the X1. It doesn't make sense NOT to bring the X1 here.
Is it because of supply issues? ie selling so well everywhere else?

Model change over? engine changes to Turbo4s?

X1 Diesel. Done deal! It would be such a hit. This doesn't make sense. I don't see how it would take away from X3 sales. They are so different in size.

What is the REAL reasoning?
:dunno:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it just much more profitable for BMW to sell X3 in US because of USD/EUR exchange rates.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think it just much more profitable for BMW to sell X3 in US because of USD/EUR exchange rates.
Bingo.

I've also been thinking I'd replace my X3 with an X1... maybe not now. Maybe they'll bring over the F30 in wagon form! :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think selling an X1 is more profitable than someone buying a Audi or Subaru.

·
Think Solar
477 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not really
In Canada X1 MSRP is 38500 CAD for base model.
X3 base price in USA is 37750 USD
To sell X1 in US you have set X1 price lower than X3 by about 4000 USD, that means selling car at loss.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts