BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
The Subies are pretty well entrenched in the small SUV/Hatchback AWD niche and most offer the MT with a fine AWD system. Perhaps BMW's research doesn't find a large enough market for the X1 here? I suspect when the Q3 arrives they will reconsider.:D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I gave up waiting and ordered Mini Countryman ALL4 with MT.
Don't like Subaru: too big, too soft, too boring.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Isn't the X1 and X3 exactly the same in dimensions? So whats the point?

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Isn't the X1 and X3 exactly the same in dimensions? So whats the point?
Well, I've sat in both side to side and the X1 feels more compact and the interior design, from the E87/E90, feels a bit more utilitarian which I like and I'm sure younger folks would too. I wasn't able to drive the two (being in a foreign country) but I think it's safe to say the X1 is the spritual successor to the E83 X3, whereas the F25 X3 is more an old E53 X5. It certainly doesn't have the same agility and sprightly feel as the old X3, but is more a comfortable "all-rounder".

Everyone's got different priorities and expectations in a vehicle. The new X3 just doesn't cut it for me, but then again I probably drive my E83 more aggressively on curvy and mountainous roads. I was on a backroad near Galax, VA last weekend and lets just say I wouldn't want to have the new X3 on this road :eeps:, especially with the sheer size and lightweight steering. I rounded the hairpins like this at 50km/h and the newer BMWs just don't communicate with the driver as well as the ones of old.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well, I've sat in both side to side and the X1 feels more compact and the interior design, from the E87/E90, feels a bit more utilitarian which I like and I'm sure younger folks would too. I wasn't able to drive the two (being in a foreign country) but I think it's safe to say the X1 is the spritual successor to the E83 X3, whereas the F25 X3 is more an old E53 X5. It certainly doesn't have the same agility and sprightly feel as the old X3, but is more a comfortable "all-rounder".

Everyone's got different priorities and expectations in a vehicle. The new X3 just doesn't cut it for me, but then again I probably drive my E83 more aggressively on curvy and mountainous roads. I was on a backroad near Galax, VA last weekend and lets just say I wouldn't want to have the new X3 on this road :eeps:, especially with the sheer size and lightweight steering. I rounded the hairpins like this at 50km/h and the newer BMWs just don't communicate with the driver as well as the ones of old.
I agree with you on the feel of the new X3 compared to the old X3. But in my opinion our 2011 X3 handles better than our 2006 X3 (non sport with 18" wheels). The cornering ability with SAP and DHP with everything in Sport setting belies the feel of the vehicle.

My test drive was Rte 211 west from Sperryville uphill to Skyline Drive, a stretch I've driven in the past with the '06 X3 which was no slouch in the handling department.

Bruce

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
US 211 looks pretty tame. In fact, it's the first time I've ever seen a road in Virginia with an uphill overtaking lane (didn't know they built those in the state).

Most of the roads I've driven are in the western and SW part of the state. US 33 in Rockingham county is probably the best bet close to northern VA. US 250 in Highland county is brilliant near the Highland/Augusta county line, and there's many branching off the Blue Ridge Parkway. They really are "mess up and you're in the guardrail or off the mountain" type roads that are quite narrow, some without runoff room or shoulders. :eeps:. Heck I even feel the X3 is a bit big on them!

·
Registered
554 Posts
US 211 looks pretty tame. In fact, it's the first time I've ever seen a road in Virginia with an uphill overtaking lane (didn't know they built those in the state).

Most of the roads I've driven are in the western and SW part of the state. US 33 in Rockingham county is probably the best bet close to northern VA. US 250 in Highland county is brilliant near the Highland/Augusta county line, and there's many branching off the Blue Ridge Parkway. They really are "mess up and you're in the guardrail or off the mountain" type roads that are quite narrow, some without runoff room or shoulders. :eeps:. Heck I even feel the X3 is a bit big on them!
I've driven those roads and others, all a lot of fun. I was citing a specific case where I have driven both old and new X3s on the same road for an apples to apples comparison.

Should probably take old vs new X3 discussions to an X3 thread.

Bruce

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I'm getting a Mazda CX-5.
Not gonna wait for BMW to make up their mind about this thing.

I read somewhere that Mazda might bring a diesel CX-5?

·
Estorilblau ///Member
105 Posts
I read somewhere that Mazda might bring a diesel CX-5?
Yep, it's been confirmed. The SKYACTIV-G (gas) is coming in around February or March of 2012. The SKYACTIV-D (diesel) is coming in early 2013. It's a staged introduction. I wish it were the other way around, because the diesel is slated to have 310lb-ft of torque, with 165bhp.

http://www.mazda.com/mazdaspirit/skyactiv/engine/skyactiv-d.html

http://www.insideline.com/mazda/cx-5/mazda-skyactiv-d-22-clean-diesel-heads-to-us-in-early-2013.html

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just saw an X1 on I-15 northbound in SD County. Kinda nice. Is that car a test-bed or production??

·
Registered
9 Posts
It was probably a mexican x1, I see tons of them all the time here in san diego with baja license plates, as well as in tijuana, they are quite popular.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts