258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you post your engine and fuel too.

I noticed mine seems particularly bad.

2017 petrol 2.0 xdrive: 29mpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
On the highway, at about 80 MPH, average about 32 MPG, mixed local driving, about 23.5MPG, for the most part, using BP Ultra

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I'm averaging a bit over 30 mpg. using Costco 91 Octane nearly exclusively. Compared to my 2015 X1 which used the same fuel but only averaged 22-23 mpg.

·
Spaß beim Fahren.
319 Posts
6.9 ~ 7.2 liters per 100 using Shell V.Power exclusively. Highway at 120 kph on cruise. Occasionally faster.... :eek:

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
All y'all (plural of y'all) are mixing imperial gallons and U.S. gallons.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=us+ga...fHcH715ZFJyDt!zaZSmXhl9UbaXLp39&wsso=Moderate

Frau Putzer has a new G01 X3 30i xDrive. I drove it over to the next patch of civilization and back last week, about 70 miles on a rural highway. Driving it "hybridly," I got 36.1 MPG (US gallons) going over and 35.8 MPG (US gallons) coming back. I cheat by doing the five miles near my house via the scenic route, speed limit 35 MPH instead of 55 MPH. I track the "gas pump" MPG vs. the on-board computer's (OBC's) MPG. The actual gas pump MPG is only 0.96 what the OBC reports. My MPG on the trip is after accounting for that OBC error.

The X3 also has the optional non-RFT's which improves MPG by about 1% over RFT's. I've also raised the tire pressure to 2 PSI over what the door decal says. Doing so improves MPG and also evens out tire wear.

Since new, 8k miles, we've got 24.8 MPG (US gallons), accounting for the OBC error. The best tank, about 90% rural highway driving, was 31.3 MPG (US gallons).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All y'all (plural of y'all) are mixing imperial gallons and U.S. gallons.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=us+ga...fHcH715ZFJyDt!zaZSmXhl9UbaXLp39&wsso=Moderate

Frau Putzer has a new G01 X3 30i xDrive. I drove it over to the next patch of civilization and back last week, about 70 miles on a rural highway. Driving it "hybridly," I got 36.1 MPG (US gallons) going over and 35.8 MPG (US gallons) coming back. I cheat by doing the five miles near my house via the scenic route, speed limit 35 MPH instead of 55 MPH. I track the "gas pump" MPG vs. the on-board computer's (OBC's) MPG. The actual gas pump MPG is only 0.96 what the OBC reports. My MPG on the trip is after accounting for that OBC error.

The X3 also has the optional non-RFT's which improves MPG by about 1% over RFT's. I've also raised the tire pressure to 2 PSI over what the door decal says. Doing so improves MPG and also evens out tire wear.

Since new, 8k miles, we've got 24.8 MPG (US gallons), accounting for the OBC error. The best tank, about 90% rural highway driving, was 31.3 MPG (US gallons).

Good point on the US/IMP gallons

I also have RFTs which may impact things.

For comparison I was looking at petrol 2.0 X1s. Seems mine is about right then despite the claim of 47.1mpg on the sales paperwork

·
Registered
50 Posts
2017 xdrive 2.0: The Fuelly Banner in my signature, shows my average for every mile driven since new. This is calculated using odometer miles, not the onboard computer (which is a little optimistic). I use only ethanal free fuel, 90, or 91 octane, have never used the sport mode setting, or the economy one either. Very few freeway miles, maybe 600 of the 10,000+ total miles driven. A tank by tank view is available by clicking on the banner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everyone is getting such good MPGs

I go only for Costco 93, and local and highway (more highway), and barely only getting 24-25. The whole tank can't even last 400miles... I did use 0w-40, not sure if that changes much.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts

I go only for Costco 93, and local and highway (more highway), and barely only getting 24-25. The whole tank can't even last 400miles... I did use 0w-40, not sure if that changes much.
Probably less than anybody is willing to admit. I saw an article where the Ford's head lubrication engineer said they got a 1/2% gain in MPG from going from 5W-30 to 5W-20.

Tire pressure makes a difference. I've found that tires also wear more evenly with 5% to 10% more pressure than what's on the door decal.

Gains in MPG can be made by coasting up to stoplights. It also makes your brakes last a lot longer. But, Billy Bob behind you will be pissed. He'll pass you, pull in front of you, and then have to stomp on his brakes to stop from hitting all those stopped cars you were coasting up to. 2014's with automatics and up have coasting programmed into EcoPro. When you let off the gas in EcoPro, the automatic transmission shifts into neutral. We have that on our 2018 X3. My 2015 535i has a manual. So, I push in the clutch pedal and throw the gear shift into neutral.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts

Costco seems to have a lower mark-up between regular and premium gas. But, there's no Costco were I live. There's a Sam's Club that charges about $0.30 more for 93 AKI. But, Sam's Club gas is Bottom Tier Gas. For the other gas stations in my area, the difference between 87 AKI and 93 AKI is about $0.60/gallon. Unless you're going on a race track, your BMW is designed to run as advertised on 91 AKI. You can blend 1/3 87 AKI and 2/3's 93 AKI to make your own 91 AKI. Doing this will save me about $800 over the 100k miles I plan on keeping my 26 MPG 535i.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts