BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saw these pics over at AutoBild. Cant read the article. Pictures show the size comparisons for those who are thinking about the next X. From the noset-to-nose shot it looks to me like the X1 is very much of the Infiniti EX35 mold -- kind of a glorified sporty wagon that is only slightly raised to give it the look of an SUV. Personally like what I`ve seen of the next X3 better.

Attachments

·
archrenov8
219 Posts
Actually, I like the new X1. Since I am looking seriously at a 3 series wagon or an A4 Avant as my next ride, in Spring 2011, the X1 could be a contender, if it is available then. I am seeking a slightly smaller, most importantly lower roof height, to ease my loading bikes and kayaks up on the roof.

Any idea of when the X1 will be available? Is it going to be made in US or Austria?

·
Powder Days
1,995 Posts
I only hope one can get a European Delivery for the X1 since it will be produced in Austria(?), not South Carolina like the X3. If not, it looks like the end on BMW's for me.:cry:

Cheers

·
Registered
177 Posts
I knew I have seen this look before... but fortunately Pontiac stopped making these in 2006. And they will stop making Pontiacs all together in 2010.

Attachments

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
It seems that with a lower center of gravity it may add to the handling.

A nice way to get the best of both worlds without going to a sedan or station wagon.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Wow...save one for us!

·
Bleed blue and white
294 Posts
I dunno. There's something about that constipated look the X1 has...not for me.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Crap, the article costs 1,00 ***8364; to download, even if I don't have the language barrier!

The X1 is currently manufactured in Leipzig, Germany and is on sale now in Europe. If you fly over, you'll be able to see them at showrooms, and folks are taking delivery thesedays.

It will not be entering the US market until 2011, and BMW doesn't anticipate it being a big seller here. Hence, only the top-level 6 cylinder petrol will be offered as the xDrive28i with about 258bhp and a 6-speed automatic.

I wouldn't mind an X1 but the model I want, an sDrive20d, is not offered in the US.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I am seeking a slightly smaller, most importantly lower roof height, to ease my loading bikes and kayaks up on the roof.
Bike loading is also important to me -- one big attraction of the X3 for me was the interior bike rack. Looks unlikely that the X1 can accommodate a bike inside in an upright position.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I've got that magazine. The X1 ranked 1st followed by the Tiguan, the A3 and then the X3.

Some facts you may find interesting: the X1 is lighter, thriftier by about 10%, slightly faster, slightly louder (as if we needed that), slightly less storage space, and produces less co2 per mile when compared with the X3 and the exact same powertrain.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I've got that magazine. The X1 ranked 1st followed by the Tiguan, the A3 and then the X3.

Some facts you may find interesting: the X1 is lighter, thriftier by about 10%, slightly faster, slightly louder (as if we needed that), slightly less storage space, and produces less co2 per mile when compared with the X3 and the exact same powertrain.
I see myself moving to Germany in the future. Driving enjoyment has a higher priority there and it shows.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Due in South Africa first Q next year (2010). I'll certainly go and have a closer look at it. Think in general the X1 will be a serious contender for the Q5 locally. On paper the reviews claim great fuel consumption with excellent performance from the twin turbo 2 litre diesel (which will be the biggest engine option on the X1 here) - this outperforms my 3 litre diesel X3 on both accounts!!! And the X1 is good looking too IMO. Ground clearance might count against the X1 for what I would use it for (think its slightly less than the X3's)...

·
Registered
539 Posts
I only hope one can get a European Delivery for the X1 since it will be produced in Austria(?), not South Carolina like the X3. If not, it looks like the end on BMW's for me.:cry:

Cheers
Don't see that being a problem. My 135i was built in Leipzig, and I picked it up in Munich! :thumbup:

And count me as another potential fan of the X1, depending on price and availability of diesel. I haven't seen many pics of the new X3, but it looks a hell of a lot better than the current-gen X3, I think.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
The Autobahns and the quality roads certainly help.
Yeah, although admittedly my state has very good roads, good enough for a stiff 2004 X3 to not be a headache on long trips. Now if we could have more places to overtake.........

·
archrenov8
219 Posts
Bike loading is also important to me -- one big attraction of the X3 for me was the interior bike rack. Looks unlikely that the X1 can accommodate a bike inside in an upright position.
For us, oftentimes when we have bikes and/or kayaks loaded, we also have dogs and vacation gear inside, so mounting the bikes inside is not an option. A low roof, with roughly the same interior volume as a current X3, would fit the bill for me.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If the rear windshield wasn't so sloped, it may have had very identical X3 rear cargo space. The X3 will grow, I imagine it will be slightly smaller then last generation X5, further increasing the cargo area for the X3. Im not sure on the pricing, but the A3 is a failure in the states for its pricing vs cargo/size.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I like it enough but don't think I can wait for it as I'll need something by November 2010...can't see myself getting an X3 stateside either so it might have to be the new 5er or Q5 if their program is decent

1 - 20 of 23 Posts