BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had such a head ache trying to find pictures of X3's with 20" wheels on before actually buying mine. I thought I would post a picture of mine to show anyone else what they look like with this style of wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bravo and well executed but not my taste - the rubber is too small versus the wheels and looks disproportionate while the wheels look way too large for the car. Sorry, but I guess I am getting too old to appreciate this trend in automotive styling. I still see the X3 as more of an SUV which requires an off-road aura that the thin rubber does not provide. Again, this is one mans interpretation of a stylistic ethos. No disrespect intended. Best and well done for what it is.

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
I think it looks really good, but the ride has to be very uncomfortable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your comments. The tyres actually look more substantial in the flesh as they are a 35 profile and not too small. With my car being a sport the ride is quite firm anyway so I haven't really noticed much of a difference adding these wheels.

·
4,252 Posts
How are they in the rain? My Pirelli's are like glue when it comes to inclement weather. If anyone would know about rain it would have to be you folks. I don't think I would go beyond a 19 but then again with the economy.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far so good in the rain...and guess what? It's raining as we speak!!!!
19's actually worked out more expensive than the 20's. :(

·
Registered
686 Posts
Brilliant! -- in addition to making your vehicle look absurd, you have increased unsprung weight by at least 20lbs per corner. Congrats!

I can understand doing something because it looks cool. I can understand doing something that enhances performance. But when a mod does neither -- then it gets a big fail from me. Sorry. I'm not surprised the 19s were more expensive. The question is why they made you pay for the 20's at all? They should have paid you to do that to your perfectly wonderful X3. Sigh....

Now if you lowered your X3 to address the obvious unsightly wheel gap, then perhaps it would look sweet. Of course it would then have the ride compliance of a conestoga wagon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks 06BMWX3. It's a good job you haven't put them on your car Cubed, god knows how upset you would be. For the record I'm very happy with them and should the day come I decide they need changing I'll stick the 18" Y Spokes back on.:tsk:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Brilliant! -- in addition to making your vehicle look absurd, you have increased unsprung weight by at least 20lbs per corner. Congrats!

I can understand doing something because it looks cool. I can understand doing something that enhances performance. But when a mod does neither -- then it gets a big fail from me. Sorry. I'm not surprised the 19s were more expensive. The question is why they made you pay for the 20's at all? They should have paid you to do that to your perfectly wonderful X3. Sigh....
Wow cubed... it really is a good thing that isn't your car, huh? I personally like it and as far as an X3 hitting the rubicon, lets get real probably 90 somethin percent all of SUV's will only see the mall parking lot and soccer practice...

·
Registered
686 Posts
yep... I was harsh. But... naw just plain harsh. Shoulda said i dont like it. Still -- OK here's the thing. Every nice car i have modded by going with a bigger wheelset -- mostly audi's and saabs, have been a reasonable trade off of ride degredation and increased handling. The thing is with a BMW, I really think they come from the factory just right. The ride/handling trade off is just right to me. So when i see an X3 with 20s it's so clearly going to foul what was a nice riding -- if already somewhat firm -- ride, that I cant help saying "wtf are you thinking? \Why not put a rear spoiler on the thing and some spinners and a hood scoop? Cause they look cool too, ya know" I mean c'mon -- chassis tuning is what BMW does best -- I really believe. OK if you want a well-sorted sport suspension, get the Sport/M package. There's a reason you cant get 20s from the factory.

Alright I'll stop. I like the car with 17s. So I guess thats me. Sorry if I was harsh. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I think it looks good. I originally thought of looking at 20's, but the thin sidewall gave me second thoughts due to driving on roads that take a beating in the winter. Having seen both 19 and 20 inch rims, I do like the 19's better on the X3, but the 20's still look good. I ended up with the decision it wasn't worth the 1 inch upgrade in wheels.

As far as the 20 lbs of additional unsprung weight at the corners, a lot of aftermarket rims are actually lighter than OEM rims, even those that are larger. As long as ptwaring enjoys his upgrade, I say good for him. It is funny that owners of X3's are very conservative to exterior upgrades as compared to other BMW model owners. Does that actually say something about the X3 being a conservative model? :dunno: But I do love the looks of our '05 Sport with Aero Kit!!

·
4,252 Posts
O & f

Have to admit I know very little about wheels and tires other than what I hear and research.

However, the Pirelli's will always be part of my main stay from now on.

I have a 328i with bridgestones on it currently and they slide all over the place in the rain, what PoS. Funny though wife loved it enough where she has me pricing out a 328i xdrive already.

Looking at some Pirelli 18's with some really cool wheels (imo). They are $265 each and 18" Pirellis would run $180. I know the 17's are fine but I want a little more tire to fill the wheel well and some distinctive styling.

For a little under $2k when all is said and done (tirerack.com).

Opinions and facts please?

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
evl, funny you should be looking at this wheel... here's one of my other cars...

These are 19's and yes the ride is harsh, but very manageable... I took an on ramp today at 55mph and the car was begging for more, so its all a big trade off I guess.

·
4,252 Posts
Ok, now that is really creepy as my wife is considering a white 328i X sedan.

Are those BMW emblems placed on the center of the wheels, or are they the Beyern type?

·
Registered
85 Posts
The wheels are actually 19in VMR710's. They're kind of an entry-level newer wheel manufacturer, but they seem to be well made and have held up well for the 6 months I've had them... the center caps are the actual BMW caps right off of my sport package style 68 wheels. fit perfectly.

·
4,252 Posts
Looks nice, btw. So many things on my Xmas list. Lol.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Opinions and facts please?
Since you're asking...

I'm also a big fan of Pirelli tires. As far as the rims.. I like the style but my personal taste leans toward something with more contrast in regards to the paint color. I find the rims blend in too much against your black paint.

·
4,252 Posts
NP HT nice thing about tirerack is I can try all sorts of looks on my car. I think I will look at that too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think the 20s on the OP's car look pretty damn nice. Lowering it about 1.5" would really set the low profile tires off and reduce the fender gap to tire sidewall ratio... IMO, 1/1 or less is best.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts