BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 X3 ~22k is making a weird sound from outside while driving and its getting annoying for me, time to take it to the dealer its a leased X3.

what do you think that can cause it, like wheel bearing or Exhaust or tires .....

·
I hate doing dishes
3,009 Posts
What kind of sound? Where does it seem to be coming from? Front, Back, Engine compartment? Grinding, whistle, whirr... some more info might help.

I have this feeling it might be wheel bearings. Can you feel any vibrations, like in the floor pan at certain speeds?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
X3

Its coming from the front, like humming, whirl around 25-60 mph, after that its hard to hear since the road noise comes into plays
I normally drive this alone, so i asked my wife to sit on the passenger side and she told me
yes she can hear too plus feel some vibration on the floor also.
I am hearing this for last 4-5 months and its getting worse.
the tires looks OK, it handles still good, no allignment problems runs in a straight line...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Took it to the Dealer today, he checked the Wheel bearing and told me that its not the Wheel
Bearing but the front Tires are causing it and he can feel they are a little uneven, so if he moves the tires to the Back the problem will move to the Back. So he just left it their .
Also told me the tires are still good (enough thread left) so dont need to change them.
so now I am stuck with this noise till I changed the tires. I also told him that anyway i need to bring back the vehicle next Yr after 36K so why should i change them. and he replied well you need to change them later because by that time the tread will be below the minimum exceptable for leased return vehicles. so that means i need to give them back the SUV with NEW tires Can they do that.
These are the original tires which comes with the vehicle (Bridgestone,Turanza) and I have never seen a tire goes Bad at 22k for all my previous vehicles.
I know that tires are not covered under Warranty but why should I suffer on a $600/m lease. I hope they are telling me the truth and not that something else is the problem.

I was planning to return this SUV at 36K and then think about it to get another one or not from BMW, but looks like they will stiff me with a New tire bill at the end if i returned like this If I dont get another vehicle from them..

·
Registered
2018 X5M, 2014 X3
769 Posts
Well, the turanza's have not been a decent tire on the X3 from what I have read here, so that does not surprise me. The Scorpion's have had good reviews practically across the board. If you are going to have to replace them anyway, do it now and enjoy a better tire instead of just giving them new tires at lease end. Or you can just put the cheapest set on there at termination.
This same thing happened to me a month ago on my Expedition. Thought it was a bad bearing, and it turned out to be crappy tires with about 75% tread left. So I am stuck with the noise for a while longer.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Yea, sounds like symptoms of the Turanza tires. They're rubbish. My mom's 325i sport has B-stone Potenzas that make terrible noise just like yours, at the same speed range. I don't know why BMW has an endorsement deal with Bridgestone outside of F1. The Pirelli Scorpion STRs are far better tires and make much less noise, and wear better.

·
I hate doing dishes
3,009 Posts
Get some new, better tires and enjoy them for the next year.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yea, sounds like symptoms of the Turanza tires. They're rubbish. My mom's 325i sport has B-stone Potenzas that make terrible noise just like yours, at the same speed range. I don't know why BMW has an endorsement deal with Bridgestone outside of F1. The Pirelli Scorpion STRs are far better tires and make much less noise, and wear better.
I had the same problem with my turanzas. I have 36,000 miles on my '04 and the pitted tire noise was so bad, i couldn't handle it anymore. I put on some goodyear regatta 2 and problem solved.

Good for me that I bought my car, so don't have to worry about turning it back in with new tires for whoever buys the CPO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts