Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to lease one so not to concerned about value down the road, other than residual value. I've driven them both and they are both really nice, has anyone gotten a 30i that now wishes they had the m40i, or vice versa?

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,371 Posts

Just go with what works best for you....please

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,371 Posts
You know what? You’re right. It may have been in the other forum, which is overrun with the usual “Ballahs” or “Real Enthusiats” get M40i

I apologize.

I have no regrets getting the 30i. It has ample get up and go for what I need or want. For reference I had an M4 for ~18 months and almost straight traded it for my 30i. I was looking for something more comfortable, compliant and didn’t need to get re-filled twice a week.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know what? You’re right. It may have been in the other forum, which is overrun with the usual “Ballahs” or “Real Enthusiats” get M40i

I apologize.

I have no regrets getting the 30i. It has ample get up and go for what I need or want. For reference I had an M4 for ~18 months and almost straight traded it for my 30i. I was looking for something more comfortable, compliant and didn’t need to get re-filled twice a week.

Thanks. It's tough to tell just from a 15m test drive how any car would really fill my needs. I had an m40i as a loaner for a week and it was great so I've looking for one in the area with the options I want, but I tested a 30i over the weekend and it seemed absolutely fine to me although I only had it on the quick 15 minute test drive. It's nice and sounds great but I'm just wondering if I'd ever need all that extra power.

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,371 Posts
All that extra power isn’t about “need”

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
The 2.0 liter turbocharged "30i" has a much power as the old six-cylinder 30i's before turbocharging. Also, that power is "usable," meaning lots of torque at low engine speeds.

We got a 30i. It has as much power as Frau Putzer's old three-liter V6 Honda. Also, this is an SUV. It's mission is to go to Target, Freah Market, Starbucks, Sam's Club, the county recycling station, etc., not carving through mountain passes at high speed. That's what my 535i is for... as least since I put some decent tires on it. The money we saved by getting a 30i over an M40i will go into my Porsche 911 fund.

Here's a big peeve I have with the M40i and even the 30i with the M Sport Package: no option for non-run-flat tires (non-RFT's). We got the 19", all season non-RFT's (option code 25X). In addition to getting a better ride from tires that last a log longer than the standard RFT's, BMW throws in a free spare tire with 25X. I realistically expect to get between 50k and 60k miles out of the OE non-RFT's.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
All that extra power isn’t about “need”
+1

OP topics like this are beat to death on forums. Here on bimmerfest, its not normally the 30i vs the 40i, its "do I buy a 320 vs a 330, or a 330 vs a 340???" Same exact question, just different class of cars.

The extra power is not about "need" its about whether you want it or not. Both are fine. No one can tell you if you should spend the extra money for the extra power other than you.

In "general" people dont tend to say "Man I wish my car was slower!!!" but again its all relative to the mission for the car, and what else you have to drive. Both FC and Auto had M level BMWs so have had " the speed" . FC also lived in Germany where he could use "the speed".

My wife, who currently drives an X5d, is considering an X3 as we dont need the size of the X5... but she told me "I want the M40i". She just likes the feeling of acceleration (the X5d gives a good feeling of that with its low end torque).

For Me / Us, if we got one, the M40i would be the one we got. Doesnt make it "better" than the 30i, at all.. just better for what "I" (well my wife) would want from the vehicle.

There is no real point in having this debate on a website, because there is no real point to it. Its up to what you want, and what you are willing (and able) to pay for.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a 30i as a loaner for about 2 weeks, it is pretty powerful for a 4 cyl and much nicer than my 2015 xDrive28i was. I do have an M40i, but honestly, it really is a personal decision on what is important for you. I think the 30i is probably more than enough for most people 97% of the time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I traded my 3 series as I needed and SUV. Have the 3.0 with all the options and has all the power one would need for an SUV. Just a shame to take it in the woods.;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Our friends have the 30i and do not regret it at all. They are NOT enthusiasts by any stretch of the imagination, though. They love their X3.

I am an "enthusiast" and appreciate the additional power, and fat steering wheel, adjustable suspension, so we bought the M40i. Plus, we tow a 4000 boat and trailer in the mountains, and figured that would help justify the extra power!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah, this is one of those totally personal preference things. Would we like a m40? Of course! Do we wanna shell out the extra $10K for it? Hell no!

However, we think the 30i is fast enough as it is. It's a SUV, not a race car. We set reasonable expectations for performance. Can I pass easily? Yes. Ok, good enough.

However, we've also got a Tesla as our other car. That's our "fun" car. The urge to go fast in the BMW is severely dampened when the other car is a Tesla and it's instant torque. If we didn't have a fast car and the BMW had to do it all, then it's a harder decision. We buy, so the 30i still would have been fast enough for us (I'm old enough that I remember how "fast" performance cars in the 90s were... or weren't compared to what's available on a regular car now). The difference in payments and interest isn't worth it to us. Since you're leasing, it may be worth the difference to you.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Deals Done

So last weekend I had the urge and my 2007 X3 started being a pain (now its my kids pain).

IMG_7236.jpg

IMG_7237.jpg

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
congrats!

·
Registered
101 Posts
+1

There is no real point in having this debate on a website, because there is no real point to it. Its up to what you want, and what you are willing (and able) to pay for.
Disagree. I'm in the market now and am right now considering both models. I appreciate all the comments, feedback and it's great to hear actual experiences. This is precisely what this forum is for.

·
Certified Car Nut
210 Posts
Personally I traded a 08 335i sport sedan for the X3 3.0 Yes the X3 is not as quick, its not as fast. It does merge onto the freeways nicely, and does have enough power to pass anything that needs passing. It is also returning a respectable computer indicated 26.9 MPG combined.
Do I miss the thrust of the 335? to be honest, seldom. The smoothness, and the isolation trumps any of that for me. I am perfectly happy with the 3.0, have never wished that I had ponied up the extra bucks for the M40. But as stated before, that is me.
Again, to be honest, I have never set foot into a M40. I drove the 3.0 and it met all of my needs and wants.
Do what makes you happy and fits into your budget.

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,371 Posts
Personally I traded a 08 335i sport sedan for the X3 3.0 Yes the X3 is not as quick, its not as fast. It does merge onto the freeways nicely, and does have enough power to pass anything that needs passing. It is also returning a respectable computer indicated 26.9 MPG combined.
Do I miss the thrust of the 335? to be honest, seldom. The smoothness, and the isolation trumps any of that for me. I am perfectly happy with the 3.0, have never wished that I had ponied up the extra bucks for the M40. But as stated before, that is me.
Again, to be honest, I have never set foot into a M40. I drove the 3.0 and it met all of my needs and wants.
Do what makes you happy and fits into your budget.

I miss this

However I do enjoy my X3 more for other reasons.

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
Disagree. I'm in the market now and am right now considering both models. I appreciate all the comments, feedback and it's great to hear actual experiences. This is precisely what this forum is for.
Absolutely test drive both. The M40i is substantially more money and it will not be enjoyed more. There is nothing wrong with an X3. I have no regrets and would buy the M again...but to own the X3 would not be a step down. It's about what a buyer likes, wants and can afford. Good luck and enjoy either.

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,371 Posts
Absolutely test drive both. The M40i is substantially more money and it will not be enjoyed more. There is nothing wrong with an X3. I have no regrets and would buy the M again...but to own the X3 would not be a step down. It's about what a buyer likes, wants and can afford. Good luck and enjoy either.

Agreed 100%

1 - 20 of 43 Posts