Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got it down to these 2 and I am having a heck of time deciding which to get. Here are the pros/cons that I see from driving them both (several times)

XC60 Pros vs. X3
- Looks, definitely more modern & cool looking.
- Availability of Bursting Blue color (looks better than Phytonic in my opinion).
- Seats are better.... but not sure about the R Design seats.
- Better safety tech - much of it comes standard

XC60 Cons vs. X3
- Sensus infotainment system required to control virtually everything including the simple task of changing radio stations. I've discovered you can set "favorites" but that's still not as easy as having a row of assignable buttons like BMW's have. There's lots of cool technology but it seems like a bit of overkill and focusing on a pretty design vs. functionality.
- Seats - not sure if I will end up liking the highly bolstered R Design seats that come as part of the R Design package (R Design is required to get the Bursting Blue color I want). Plus R Design seats only come in drab black, I prefer the Cognac BMW seats.

Other than that the performance, ride, and handling are pretty similar from my test drives and are more than adequate for usage as a sporty luxury SAV. And the price for similarly optioned cars is within a few thousand so not really a deciding factor.

So I'm totally torn! I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this - especially those who have driven both vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was on the same boat with you 3 months ago. I really liked both vehicles and test drove them couple times. What really pushed me to get X3 30i over XC 60 T6 boiled down to 3 things: first, I found X3 to be much sportier and more fun to drive than XC 60 T6 despite having way less HP. X3, maybe due to 50-50 weight balance, was much better at sharp corners and was a simple joy to drive in every environments, especially with sports mode on. On the other hand, XC 60 despite having ~300 hp was actually sluggish and was too ***8220;relaxed***8221; vehicle for my taste.

Second, I preferred BMW info way better than Volvo as you brought up. Adjusting and changing everything via center touchscreen drove me nuts while driving. Coming from Benz and Audi, I still loved having hard buttons to change my temp and etc.

Finally, the price. I am not sure about any other areas but XC 60 T6 w/ R design was ridiculously more expensive than good optioned X3 x30i in my region. I could have gone for T5 but if I was not happy with 300 hp. I could not imagine being satisfied with 240 hp. In addition, I mean sure XC 60 looked better but X3 looked gorgeous for me w/ dark olive metallic color. I also got an amazing deal from local dealership w/ APR bonus, loyalty, autumn bonus and amazing trade in offer which made X3 to be a bargain for me.

In conclusion, go with your taste and circumstance. I am pretty sure both cars would be amazing choice for you! But personally, I am happy with X3 as a first SAV! Cheers!

·
2019 X3 M40i
102 Posts
I just had my 2018 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design (Bursting Blue) bought back by Volvo as a lemon.

I actually really liked the car, just got unlucky with a bad one - loved the interior - the R-Design seats are great and look amazing. I can't compare engines as I have the M40i, but I had no issues with the engine/power of the XC60 (a lot of people rag on the turbo/supercharged 4 cyl as being rough). The Sensus system was super slow to start up (I hear that has been remedied for 2019?), after using it for a while, you learn where everything is and it works quite well - the B&W stereo is amazing if you don't mind the cost.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was on the same boat with you 3 months ago. I really liked both vehicles and test drove them couple times. What really pushed me to get X3 30i over XC 60 T6 boiled down to 3 things: first, I found X3 to be much sportier and more fun to drive than XC 60 T6 despite having way less HP. X3, maybe due to 50-50 weight balance, was much better at sharp corners and was a simple joy to drive in every environments, especially with sports mode on. On the other hand, XC 60 despite having ~300 hp was actually sluggish and was too "relaxed" vehicle for my taste.

Second, I preferred BMW info way better than Volvo as you brought up. Adjusting and changing everything via center touchscreen drove me nuts while driving. Coming from Benz and Audi, I still loved having hard buttons to change my temp and etc.

Finally, the price. I am not sure about any other areas but XC 60 T6 w/ R design was ridiculously more expensive than good optioned X3 x30i in my region. I could have gone for T5 but if I was not happy with 300 hp. I could not imagine being satisfied with 240 hp. In addition, I mean sure XC 60 looked better but X3 looked gorgeous for me w/ dark olive metallic color. I also got an amazing deal from local dealership w/ APR bonus, loyalty, autumn bonus and amazing trade in offer which made X3 to be a bargain for me.

In conclusion, go with your taste and circumstance. I am pretty sure both cars would be amazing choice for you! But personally, I am happy with X3 as a first SAV! Cheers!
Thank you for the info! Yes I think the X3 would probably end up being less expensive since it seems the Bursting Blue T6 is harder to find, but if they tried to charge me too much that would make my decision for me ;).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just had my 2018 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design (Bursting Blue) bought back by Volvo as a lemon.

I actually really liked the car, just got unlucky with a bad one - loved the interior - the R-Design seats are great and look amazing. I can't compare engines as I have the M40i, but I had no issues with the engine/power of the XC60 (a lot of people rag on the turbo/supercharged 4 cyl as being rough). The Sensus system was super slow to start up (I hear that has been remedied for 2019?), after using it for a while, you learn where everything is and it works quite well - the B&W stereo is amazing if you don't mind the cost.

Let me know if you have any other questions...
Thanks for your response and sorry to hear about the lemon! What was the problem with the car? Good to hear you ended up being good with Sensus that was a big concern, from my test drives it seems it does take a few seconds to start up but it didn't seem too bad. Yes even the standard stereo sounds better to me than the BMW HK. Also, did you have the 19" or 21" wheels? How was the ride quality? I"m leaning towards the 19"s because our roads here in So Cal have plenty of nasty potholes...

·
2019 X3 M40i
102 Posts
Thanks for your response and sorry to hear about the lemon! What was the problem with the car? Good to hear you ended up being good with Sensus that was a big concern, from my test drives it seems it does take a few seconds to start up but it didn't seem too bad. Yes even the standard stereo sounds better to me than the BMW HK. Also, did you have the 19" or 21" wheels? How was the ride quality? I"m leaning towards the 19"s because our roads here in So Cal have plenty of nasty potholes...
Mine had trouble with the electronics (wifi, Volvo On Call, etc) never working correctly from day 1 - the dealer actually missed (or didn't acknowledge) the problems during pre-delivery inspection and I didn't test those particular things until the next day at home.

I had the 21" wheels and had no issues with the ride quality - I also had the air suspension which, although noisy when raising/lowering the car (the compressor was beside the spare tire), allowed you to change the suspension from soft to firmer. The ride is not the same as the BMW though - the Volvo is definitely softer

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the reliability generally with Volvo? Now? I thought it wasn't good.
From scanning Volvo forums I haven't seen an overwhelming number of issues but I don't have hard data to back that up. Although user u080570 said his was a lemon which Volvo bought back... If I go with Volvo I will lease so it will at least be under warranty during the period I have it. But still undecided.... I need to see more Phytonic Blue cars in "the wild" to see if I like that color.

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
You will most likely enjoy either ride. After you buy one you say to your self I should have bought the other. If you are not in a hurry keep doing your research. You'll know.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will most likely enjoy either ride. After you buy one you say to your self I should have bought the other. If you are not in a hurry keep doing your research. You'll know.
Yes thank you, one day it's the Volvo, the next day it's the X3 30i, but today it's the X3 m40i... and extra $150/mo about but may be worth it :) I have another month to decide, and worst case I can Uber for a few weeks afterworks if I need to. It stinks being car-obsessed.... I can't help it.

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
but today it's the X3 m40i... It stinks being car-obsessed.... I can't help it.
The X3 is a very fine ride. I'm sure the Volvo is a good choice also. However the M40i is an experience. It is an ass kicking set of wheels. It barks. It's a head turner. It's a ticket waiting to happen.
As for obsessed..... We're all members.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yes thank you, one day it's the Volvo, the next day it's the X3 30i, but today it's the X3 m40i... and extra $150/mo about but may be worth it :) I have another month to decide, and worst case I can Uber for a few weeks afterworks if I need to. It stinks being car-obsessed.... I can't help it.
Test drive the X30i a couple of more times before you decide. It really goes like hell and the sport modes are the best. :thumbup: Most feel that the X40i might be overkill and say "who needs it". With the money saved, you can load up your X30i to the hilt and come out with a better package!:p

Merry Christmas,
Joe:)

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,551 Posts
FWIW I would not own or lease a Volvo, which is owned by Geely. Partly because I don't want to support Chinese companies and their business practices (theft of intellectual property, etc.) and partly because I don't trust the Chinese not to be accessing my personal information when I'm connected to the car by Bluetooth or through the WiFi hub. I have no such concerns with BMWAG.

Yes, I know both the X3 and the XC60 are assembled in the USA. But Geely's ability to spec the components gives me the jitters. YMMV.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Brought my X1 in for it's last service before my lease is up and requested an X3 as a loaner. Got an X3 s-drive 30i with no options but the 19" wheels. Got to drive it around today and it drives & rides great with the power being better than I expected! Now leaning towards the X3 x-drive 30i. My configuration would be Phytonic Blue with Cognac, Premium, 19" wheels, Driver Assist, HK. But I could still be lured by the m40i...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts