BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2015 X3 35i with about 20,000 miles on it, and I have noticed with the cooler weather some days the last few weeks that the engine will seem to stumble a bit on cold start, either first time in the morning or even after it has been sitting a few hours. Nothing extreme, just a bit of burble in the idle the first 5-10 seconds after start up. So I was wondering is this normal for these cars?

thanks

·
Registered
785 Posts
I've experienced that too with my 2012 35i. Doesnt happen very often. I thought it might be a misfire but no codes were ever thrown so I dont worry about it.

·
Anti-Hack
5,483 Posts
Seems to happen whenever there is a large difference in ambient temperature between when the car was shut off and then restarted the next day (as often happens during the Fall). Try turning the key to "on" but then waiting 10 seconds before starting, letting the sensors take their readings.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Exactly. So happy I'm not the only one. No check engine light. Doesn't seem to be getting worse. I think it's just a quirk of this car.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Idle speed etc.

Hi my 3.5i is very smooth from cold runs about 900 rpm then slowly comes back approx 650 after 20 seconds but is always smooth as silk ? A really lovely motor so powerful for it's size.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Whats normal rev's at idle? My 35i is idling at 600rpm...it feels too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
N52 idled at 600 RPM so I imagine it's the same for the N55.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes I am having this issue too. Had tried replacing plugs only difference is that the stumbling seems shorter. Use to stumble around 10 to 15 seconds now 5 to 10 seconds. No error code.

It seems to stop if you are to start and immediately switch to eco pro mode when it is stumbling.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've had that too with my 3.5i. Happens when the car is cold, or even when a warm start on occasion. A quick blip of the accelerator fixes it immediately. No check engine light. Anyone speak with a mechanic or BMW dealer about it. If it was a daily occurrence, I'd take mine in, but it happens only very occasionally.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It happens only after I had park between 3 to 4 hours after driving. It starts perfectly after sitting over night or if you restart within a shorter time. It drives fine other than that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts