BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into trading in my Ford C-Max for a 2nd gen X3, specifically a 2013 one at the local BMW dealership. But I need a constant power 12v power jack for a time lapse camera I leave running most of the time as a security camera (only 5 watts). Does the X3 have any jacks like that?

I found a thread on another forum where someone was asking about making his cargo area jack into a switched one, but I don't know if that really means it is constantly powered or if he just doesn't like the timer delay, and I don't know if it holds true for all years (Ford seems to change every year).

·
Registered
149 Posts
one night I saw a red light on in the car. I looked in there and saw the phone charger plugged in. So I'd say ya, its on all the time

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,689 Posts
Power sockets are all supplied by Terminal 30B. Www.NewTIS.info

Relay, terminal 30B

The Car Access System (CAS) is the master control unit for the terminal control. The CAS control unit activates the wake-up line (terminal 15 wake-up line), terminal 15, terminal 15N, terminal 30B and terminal 50L.

Terminal 30B provides the voltage supply for control units and components that in normal operation are required when the driver is present. For example, terminal 30B will be activated with a status change for a door contact or unlocking, locking or securing the vehicle.

The terminal 30B relay is installed in the junction box.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
No socket stays alive. They all shut down within 8-15 minutes, I can never remember which. There are power sources which stay alive, the power in the OBD-II socket for example.

If that '13 that you're trading for is a 28i then you may want to be aware of the threads here regarding timing chain failures.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Power Supply.

Yes I would definitely not get a 2013 with the N20 4 cyl motor. Get a 3.5i great performance and reliability. I'm sure one power outlet in my car stays alive but it's a 2011 yr.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes I would definitely not get a 2013 with the N20 4 cyl motor. Get a 3.5i great performance and reliability. I'm sure one power outlet in my car stays alive but it's a 2011 yr.
Is it really a big thing? There aren't many of these vehicles for sale? I particularly want a tan interior and the vast majority are black

This car is a 2013 with 80k miles for $17k asking price. All the other X3s are about 25-35k

Maybe I should look at the 1st gen X3

·
Registered
370 Posts
Power Supply.

Get the early X3 with the normally asperated 6cyl motor. I think they run to about 2011 or more. No trouble though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Get the early X3 with the normally asperated 6cyl motor. I think they run to about 2011 or more. No trouble though.
you can get the second gen X3 with the N/A engine 2011-2012
This is exactly what we got and love it so far.
We drove a 2016 with 28,000 miles and it sounded like a sewing machine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ah I didn't know the F25 ever had the NA engines. I'd rather have the NA straight 6 for simplicity anyway. I had a 1996 328is and it was easy to work on

Is there anywhere to safely tap and get constant 12v power?

·
Registered
679 Posts
My '13 x3 3.5 has same issue - dead outlets after around 15' or so. So if charging with trickle charger, has to be done directly off of battery. Same with my Boxster. There was a TSB from Porsche on overriding this problem (seen on late 981's, not the earlier ones), but when dealer reprogrammed it, it didn't resolve the issue. So I attached connectors to battery + and ground, and run cables to my charger for winter storage. Since I use the BMW as my DD, it really doesn't require charging as it's not stored.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd rather have the NA straight 6 for simplicity anyway.

Is there anywhere to safely tap and get constant 12v power?
This is another reason we got it. It's for the wife and she don't need all that power. If I wanna go fast then I drive the CTS-V

I wonder if it can be turned on with "coding"

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
This is another reason we got it. It's for the wife and she don't need all that power. If I wanna go fast then I drive the CTS-V

I wonder if it can be turned on with "coding"
You may be able to slightly change the after run period for the switch off but can not make it constantly on.

Let's say you want to rewire these power outlets to constant on lines.
The Intelligent Battery sensor is measuring the sleep current of the vehicle when parked and will give a "high current battery discharge" warning every time you get into the car because the additionally connected devices draw more current than the allowed sleep current of the vehicle.

I recommend to connect a battery jump starter to the power outlet and connect the dashcam or other devices to the output of the jump starter. This way the car's battery isn't at risk and the jump starter gets recharged every time the car is on.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I could not agree more!

I had a 2011 F25 with the six cylinder N54. It ran great with very good acceleration and good fuel economy. I now have a 2016 F25 with the 4 cylinder N20 and it is a ****ing pig. Unless you push the Sport button every time you start it, it will actually lug unless you give it a large amount of accelerator pedal depression. Even in Sport mode it does not have the performance of the old 6 cylinder engine. If I stand behind it when it is idling it has a soft put-put sound just like an expensive lawn mower. I also see no improvement in fuel economy over my old 2011. I love BMWs but I truly hate my 2016 x3 because of the piss poor engine and gearing. One does not pay $60k for a BMW to get the performance and sound of a Kia or even care about a mpg or two that I have not seen anyway.

P

·
Registered
679 Posts
I could not agree more!

I had a 2011 F25 with the six cylinder N54. It ran great with very good acceleration and good fuel economy. I now have a 2016 F25 with the 4 cylinder N20 and it is a ****ing pig. Unless you push the Sport button every time you start it, it will actually lug unless you give it a large amount of accelerator pedal depression. Even in Sport mode it does not have the performance of the old 6 cylinder engine. If I stand behind it when it is idling it has a soft put-put sound just like an expensive lawn mower. I also see no improvement in fuel economy over my old 2011. I love BMWs but I truly hate my 2016 x3 because of the piss poor engine and gearing. One does not pay $60k for a BMW to get the performance and sound of a Kia or even care about a mpg or two that I have not seen anyway.
I'm assuming you drove it before you bought it. That's why I bought my x3 3.5 and the 340i. From personal experience I just would not buy a BMW (MB or Porsche) with a four cylinder engine. Only BMW I ever had with a four was my 1972 2002, which I loved and kept for 11 years. My all time favorite.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts