BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one run studded snows on their X3? Or does someone have a solid recommendation on winter tires for the X3 to run in serious winter condiitons? Car now has Pirelli Sorpions. A friend has Pirelli winter tires (?) on his 3 series. What about Blizzacks? I also don't fully understand the run flats yet...can you get any tire in a run flat incl. studded snows? Thanks for feedback.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have been running Nokian Hakka5 factory ecostudded tires for the last 2 weeks, i'd like to call them the best winter tires out there for severe condition like where I live, IMHO :)

My X3 now drives like a tank in mostly any conditions, awesome grip in snow or ice :thumbup:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Also, I went with BMW optional size for winter, 215/60/17 , instead of my summer 235-55-17. Cheaper in that size, and will cut into snow a lot better since its narower.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well you kind of hit it on the head...tank is kind of what I am looking for! BMW enthusiasts please don't be offended but I ran studded snows on my forester ( I do own 2 BMW's now :)) and that is what it was a little tank. Would go through anything and I could drive safely 10mph faster than most folks on the road.

I expect the Nokian's do sacrifice a smoother ride?? But for 5-6 months and being incredibly safe is worth it. What is the ecostud? Guess I need to go out and research it. Can I ask what you paid per tire? And again are they run flats? If not what do you do just risk it? Sorry - lots of questions. thnx

·
Leftover Hippie
465 Posts
I have a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3s for our 2005 and they work great. Nice part about these is nice ice traction without studs. In our area we have to spend a lot of time on cold wet roads that sometimes get icy and studs are a useless disaster in those conditions. They are great for roads that are always frozen but quite dangerous when roads are just wet. I have used them in up to 8" of snow on the roads and they feel pretty nice for my tastes. For the record I lived in Utah for almost 30 years before moving to the NW and am quite familiar with driving in lots of snow. If I still lived there now I would never buy studded tires again given what I have seen with the studless winter tires available these days.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The problem with Blizzaks is the sticky tread is gone after 1/2 of the tread wear. And that they are made by Bridgestone, and I've had more than one Bridgestone with belt runout or tread separation problems. I had great luck with Michelin Arctic Alpins (precursor to the X-Ice) on an Outback. Currently am experimenting with Nokian WRG2, and they seemed to work well but got them late in winter last year.

Ditto AlanX3 on studs. They destroy the roads too. Besides, who needs the noise?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. Yes I am old school on this topic but ready and open to newer technologies when it comes to a winter tire. I would definitely like to pass on the noise and rougher ride. So I will begin my research with the goodies you all have passed me. Thanks.

Still the question on any tire replacment...are you able to get all these tires as run flats or if not what do you do about a spare? I am lost on this run flat stuff...:dunno:

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Still the question on any tire replacment...are you able to get all these tires as run flats or if not what do you do about a spare? I am lost on this run flat stuff...:dunno:
Did the previous owner of your '06 X3 replace the original Scorpion STR's with Scorpion RFT's?

And throw out the spare wheel from its tray beneath the cargo floor?

Hopefully not!

Run flats cause lots of complaints of a harsh ride from sedan owners - can't see that fitting them on an X3 would be a good move.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was a CPO from dealer. They said they replaced the tires and told me they are run flats. In the morning I will need to investigate...the cargo area...??? I though it was only the battery back there...or I am confused with my Z3...If I have a place to throw a spare then I am golden :)

·
Leftover Hippie
465 Posts
This was a CPO from dealer. They said they replaced the tires and told me they are run flats. In the morning I will need to investigate...the cargo area...??? I though it was only the battery back there...or I am confused with my Z3...If I have a place to throw a spare then I am golden :)
The spare drops down from under the cargo area in the back and is not stored in the inside at all. It is a "donut" spare - not a full sized tire. To see if you still have one look under the back end of your X3 and it will be just above a plastic shield underneath the rear cargo area.

A run flat is a tire with super stiff sidewalls that can still support the weight of the car even without air so you can drive somewhere to get it fixed/replaced. If the tire has less than 20psi when you get to where it can be repaired then the tire has basically sacrificed itself for you and must be replaced - it cannot be safely repaired as sidewall damage has occurred. If there is still more than 20psi it can be repaired although there are a lot of shops who will deny this and refuse to fix it.

The given from such a tire design is that the flex you are used to from the sidewall of a non RF tire is eliminated and for any low profile tire profile the ride will suffer a lot. Think about solid rubber tires on a child's tricycle and you get the idea.

·
BMW Enthusiast!
5,679 Posts
The spare drops down from under the cargo area in the back and is not stored in the inside at all. It is a "donut" spare - not a full sized tire. To see if you still have one look under the back end of your X3 and it will be just above a plastic shield underneath the rear cargo area.
Basically same place as Z3. Same way to access it as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I checked it out and YES the donut spare is there! Thanks. I had no idea.

Also the replacement tires by dealer are Scorpions STR's. Are run flat tires actually designated on the tire somehow? Or these are actually STR's and not run flats at all...??? In the end that would be fine - better ride - but it pisses me off if the dealer fed me some BS...any way to know for sure? I didn't see anything on the tire...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts