BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 X3 has a "clunk" when turning, seems to be coming from the rear end. 2 shops have said ignore it as expensive to fix. Anyone have similar noise and how'd you cure it?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Check for broken "pig tails" on the coil-springs, as well as bad shocks/mounts. Could be many other things though -- did the pros identify the problem? Most everything is expensive to fix on BMWs, if you pay someone else to do the work.

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,516 Posts
Yes, they checked all that and found all OK. Thanks.
yeah...I had this noise a couple of years ago from the rear...found this foam type padding was wearing. at the time I had bigger fish to fry...never got around to replacing them...did research too...over time I eather got used to it or the thing just wore off and come to find, it wasn't needed anyway. I haven't thought about that long lost bump over say 3 years here's what you need "Bump Stop"! no it's not a spray... Screenshot_20190220-032604_Chrome.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Check the rear differential mounts. I forgot to fully tighten one of the bolts after replacing a seal and had a dull clunk when turning.

AM.

·
Anti-Hack
4,917 Posts
My 07 X3 has a "clunk" when turning, seems to be coming from the rear end. 2 shops have said ignore it as expensive to fix. Anyone have similar noise and how'd you cure it?
If you ignore it, it'll definitely become exponentially expensive.

Are you sure it's coming from the rear end? Sound has a way of moving.

Have the differential fluids been changed recently, if ever? I change mine every 30k. New fluid won't rebuild worn parts (too much clearance between the gears/shims), but can quiet things.

How do the front axle boots look? If any are torn, you need new CV joints (front axle shafts).

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
How do the front axle boots look? If any are torn, you need new CV joints (front axle shafts).
The rear half-shafts too. And a gazillion other things to check including engine mounts, wheel bearings, ...

OP: Find a trusted mechanic who will put it up on a lift and check things. And report back what he/she found! Then maybe we can give you some targeted advice about the repair(s).

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
That's a tell-tale sign of the transfer box going bad. To diagnose if this indeed is the case, have your mechanic disconnect the electrical wires to the transfer case, then drive the car. If the clunk goes away, you need a new transfer case. If memory serves me right, it is a $3k repair. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
That's a tell-tale sign of the transfer box going bad.
Usually would get the triad of warning lights?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Usually would get the triad of warning lights?
My '07 X3 didn't. I took it to an indie who diagnosed it along the lines of my earlier post. That car had one week left on the extended warranty (purchased by a previous owner) when I took it to the dealer who replaced the transfer case against my $50 deductible. Those were the good old days.

Anyway, the ONLY indication I got was the "clunk" when turning at slow speeds. And yes, it sounded like it was coming from the rear.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Anyway, the ONLY indication I got was the "clunk" when turning at slow speeds. And yes, it sounded like it was coming from the rear.
Does it happen louder is you are turning one way or the other? Do you notice it over bumps?

Turning would induce a shift of weight. I would check the rear sway bar links and possibly the sway bar bushings.

Try moving the sway bars to see if you can duplicate the sound.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts