Which one should I choose?

• X3 xDrive 2018 - 23K miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • X3 sDrive 2019 - 28.5K miles

Votes: 0 0.0%

X3 CPO 2018/2019

1450 6
Hello BMW Fams,

This is my first post so please be gentle. I'm planning to buy a CPO X3 2018/2019 and have drilled down to 3 cars that are as follows. I need your help in drilling down and letting me know are the price points justified to get a CPO or wait for a while and lease/buy a new model.

X3 2018 xDrive30i
Convenience Package
Driving Assistance Package
Driving Assistance Plus
Premium Package
Executive Package
xLine

$37K + 26.7K miles
===============================

X3 2018 xDrive30i
Convenience Package
Driving Assistance Plus
Premium Package
xLine

$37K + 23K miles
==================================

X3 2019 sDrive30i
Convenience Package
Premium Package
xLine

$37K + 28.5K miles
=================================

All of the above cars are CPO. Dealers have mentioned no haggle prices but do expect 2-3K down on quoted prices.
What are your thoughts, let me know? All of the numbers above beat kelly blue book. However with new lease residual values pegged at 53/55 % , it begs the question, why are these cars almost at 60-70% of their original prices.

--
Thank you for all folks who will chime in.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
I voted for "Do not buy now." Yeah, used car prices are at record highs. That's temporary, though. Things will get back to normal... eventually... but sooner rather than later.

A spare tire ($150) and optional non-run-flat tires on 19" wheels ($600) are must have options in my book.

You don't say where you are, but decide if you need xDrive or not. xDrive adds $2k to the MSRP, 200 pounds, the potential for massive repair costs somewhere out there around 100k miles, and you lose one to two MPG.

New and used car sales drop off drastically in December and January, and the farther north you are the worse it gets. That's when I go car shopping. Factory ordering a car is quick then, too. Dealers already have their initial current year inventory, and sales are slow. You can get a factory ordered X3 is about five weeks.

The X3's also getting a mid-cycle refresh ("LCI" in BMW lingo) with the 2022 model year. If you wait, you'll also avoid the parts shortages that are causing BMW to cancel some features and options (passenger lumber support, Harmon-Kardon audio, hands-free trunk/tailgate, etc.) on many models.

It's common to get 10% off of MSRP on a BMW. Huge discounts are available to Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PENFED.org), and any U.S. citizen can join. You need to be a member for six months to get the discounts. The PENFED discount on a new X3 is currently $2000. PENFED's also a great credit union, currently with car loans "as low as" 0.99%.
I’m with auto cleaner. I voted wait simply based on insane used car prices
Reactions: X3tobe
Thanks Autoputzer. I currently live in the SoCal area and currently shopping for used cars along the socal/norcal area. Given the insane prices as well. I just thought best to hold of now. Thanks for the confirmation as well. I'll wait till end of year for the market to die down as well so that I can get a good deal on a used car.
I voted for "Do not buy now." Yeah, used car prices are at record highs. That's temporary, though. Things will get back to normal... eventually... but sooner rather than later.

A spare tire ($150) and optional non-run-flat tires on 19" wheels ($600) are must have options in my book.

You don't say where you are, but decide if you need xDrive or not. xDrive adds $2k to the MSRP, 200 pounds, the potential for massive repair costs somewhere out there around 100k miles, and you lose one to two MPG.

New and used car sales drop off drastically in December and January, and the farther north you are the worse it gets. That's when I go car shopping. Factory ordering a car is quick then, too. Dealers already have their initial current year inventory, and sales are slow. You can get a factory ordered X3 is about five weeks.

The X3's also getting a mid-cycle refresh ("LCI" in BMW lingo) with the 2022 model year. If you wait, you'll also avoid the parts shortages that are causing BMW to cancel some features and options (passenger lumber support, Harmon-Kardon audio, hands-free trunk/tailgate, etc.) on many models.

It's common to get 10% off of MSRP on a BMW. Huge discounts are available to Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PENFED.org), and any U.S. citizen can join. You need to be a member for six months to get the discounts. The PENFED discount on a new X3 is currently $2000. PENFED's also a great credit union, currently with car loans "as low as" 0.99%.
Reactions: moRider
Agree with others....used car prices are way too high right now, especially for those three year old 2018s. My lease ends in 8 months on my 2019 (msrp $52+) and I'll be exercising the option to buy at $28.....right at the 53/55 residual you mentioned. I'd wait if you need to go used route or go new lease/buy. Good luck.
Hello BMW Fams,

This is my first post so please be gentle. I'm planning to buy a CPO X3 2018/2019 and have drilled down to 3 cars that are as follows. I need your help in drilling down and letting me know are the price points justified to get a CPO or wait for a while and lease/buy a new model.

X3 2018 xDrive30i
Convenience Package
Driving Assistance Plus
Premium Package
Executive Package
xLine

$37K + 26.7K miles
===============================

X3 2018 xDrive30i
Convenience Package
Driving Assistance Plus
Premium Package
xLine

$37K + 23K miles
==================================

X3 2019 sDrive30i
Convenience Package
Premium Package
xLine

$37K + 28.5K miles
=================================

All of the above cars are CPO. Dealers have mentioned no haggle prices but do expect 2-3K down on quoted prices.
What are your thoughts, let me know? All of the numbers above beat kelly blue book. However with new lease residual values pegged at 53/55 % , it begs the question, why are these cars almost at 60-70% of their original prices.

--
Thank you for all folks who will chime in.
I too have been with PFCU, since 1977. I’ll give you my two cents; their rates are usually amongst the best, but their service side, while well intentioned, is hit or miss (mostly a miss for me over the past three years). I finally gave up and refinanced by second home elsewhere, and moved my 2020 X3 M40 loan to Navy Federal Credit Union (better rate and much better service). And, BMW finance has been giving great incentives too ($2,500 for me), which you can refinance after four payments.

My last five BMW lease/purchases were from Steve Thomas BMW in Camerillo. Call Kwinn Knight (tell him “D. Turk” referred you). He’s very straight up with facts and pricing (full disclosure). Might ask him if he could be on the lookout for a certain car (your specs) at the BMW auction. If yes, you would give him the particulars, including the price range you’d be willing to pay. They offered to do that for me many years ago; I don’t know if they still do it.
Good luck!
Thanks Autoputzer. I currently live in the SoCal area and currently shopping for used cars along the socal/norcal area. Given the insane prices as well. I just thought best to hold of now. Thanks for the confirmation as well. I'll wait till end of year for the market to die down as well so that I can get a good deal on a used car.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.