Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
X3 E83 N52 knocking rattle from head or engine/ running out of ideas

I have 2006 X3 3.0 SI E86 N52 engine, I got some heavy rattling /knocking coming from the engine.

Started out as a low rattle noise, sounded like kame from the oil filter cover. On my 30 min drive home got real bad. I checked with ISTA-D found code 2a82 Vanos Issue.

Followed the steps from ISTA:
Checked oil pressure and level /OK
Checked and cleaned Vanos valve some dirt but OK after cleaning
Cleaned Vanos filters

https://mega.nz/#!5xxGiaDA!LEa_sr2ke3gjVIZoIbfc4fOigbYLBoOy6dNYzEJJVuA

As you can see in the picture one (the top one) has metal chippings and they are magnetic.

Checked oil and filter, filter was compressed like somebody stepped on it.
I did not do the last oil change so could have been installation error.
Cleaned everything, replaced oil filter, changed oil cleared errors

All error codes are gone and did not come back, I did a short drive and it seems to be running normal
rattle is still there.

So I reset adaption and relearned the ECM /no change
I ran a Vanos test passed with no problems
Relearned and tested servo motor /no change

Assuming a valve may be bad I did a compression test, all around 210 only 5 at 190. To make sure that's not a problem I performed a leak down test all cylinders the same in the green.

So I removed the valve cover an inspected everything and from what I can tell all looks good.
No noise when turning the engine by hand.

I checked the Intake Camshaft bearing and they looks good

The exhaust looks strange to me and you can maybe confirm my concern see pictures

So here are my questions
-Where did the metal chippings in Vanos filter come from?
-Is my exhaust cam bad?
-is there a way to test the Vanos with compressed air sins there is no oil hose
-or ***8211;why is it rattling in my engine
-what else can I do?

Thanks
Paul

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,471 Posts
Picture failed with error from Mega that apparently they want their own browser. Not happening.

Problems with lubrication - crushed oil filter - followed by rattling noise suggests to me big end bearings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picture failed with error from Mega that apparently they want their own browser. Not happening.

Problems with lubrication - crushed oil filter - followed by rattling noise suggests to me big end bearings.
I try to post the pics somwhere else later, when you say big end bearing you mean crank shafts bearing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
X3 E83 N52 knocking rattle from head or engine/ running out of ideas

I have 2006 X3 3.0 SI E86 N52 engine, I got some heavy rattling /knocking coming from the engine.

Started out as a low rattle noise, sounded like kame from the oil filter cover. On my 30 min drive home got real bad. I checked with ISTA-D found code 2a82 Vanos Issue.

Followed the steps from ISTA:
Checked oil pressure and level /OK
Checked and cleaned Vanos valve some dirt but OK after cleaning
Cleaned Vanos filters

https://mega.nz/#!5xxGiaDA!LEa_sr2ke3gjVIZoIbfc4fOigbYLBoOy6dNYzEJJVuA

As you can see in the picture one (the top one) has metal chippings and they are magnetic.

Checked oil and filter, filter was compressed like somebody stepped on it.
I did not do the last oil change so could have been installation error.
Cleaned everything, replaced oil filter, changed oil cleared errors

All error codes are gone and did not come back, I did a short drive and it seems to be running normal
rattle is still there.

So I reset adaption and relearned the ECM /no change
I ran a Vanos test passed with no problems
Relearned and tested servo motor /no change

Assuming a valve may be bad I did a compression test, all around 210 only 5 at 190. To make sure that's not a problem I performed a leak down test all cylinders the same in the green.

So I removed the valve cover an inspected everything and from what I can tell all looks good.
No noise when turning the engine by hand.

I checked the Intake Camshaft bearing and they looks good

The exhaust looks strange to me and you can maybe confirm my concern see pictures

So here are my questions
-Where did the metal chippings in Vanos filter come from?
-Is my exhaust cam bad?
-is there a way to test the Vanos with compressed air sins there is no oil hose
-or –why is it rattling in my engine
-what else can I do?

Thanks
Paul
Just curious;
1. how many miles on the engine?
2. What weight oil are you using?
3. Is the center oil filter cage intact on the oil filter cap? If it is there, how does the O-ring on the end of the cage look?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious;
1. how many miles on the engine?
2. What weight oil are you using?
3. Is the center oil filter cage intact on the oil filter cap? If it is there, how does the O-ring on the end of the cage look?

140k mi
B-MW original oil 5W30 synthetic
Oring and cage are ok

Paul

·
Nuclear engineer
17,471 Posts
Yes, Dropbox worked. I saw scored camshaft bearing. That doesn***8217;t tell the source of the bits. Are they magnetic? Then not bearing material. Are they soft (bite ***8216;em)? Bearing Babbitt is soft.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,471 Posts
they are magnetic, I bite one tomorrow
Paul
No. Magnetic is not bearing Babbitt and not block (aluminum/magnesium), so it’s machined internal parts.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
140k mi
B-MW original oil 5W30 synthetic
Oring and cage are ok

Paul
If the "cage" is intact, how did the oil filter get "crushed like someone stepped on it?"

The cage would keep the filter from collapsing to inside. If the filter was "crushed" that bad as you say, this would or could cause an oil pressure issue when the car is running, which could cause CEL to come on due to Vanso valves not responding quick enough. Where any of these signs happening.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Just saw you last posted picture. You need to clean the filter screen very good & replace. This will reduce the oil pressure to Vanos & may be causing your noise. Still wondering about the crushed oil filter. Got any pics of it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the "cage" is intact, how did the oil filter get "crushed like someone stepped on it?"

The cage would keep the filter from collapsing to inside. If the filter was "crushed" that bad as you say, this would or could cause an oil pressure issue when the car is running, which could cause CEL to come on due to Vanso valves not responding quick enough. Where any of these signs happening.
well not crashed enough to brake the cage this could have been a installation error from last oil change.
CEL came on with error 2A82 intake vanos however that cleared after cleaning and oil change and did not come back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just saw you last posted picture. You need to clean the filter screen very good & replace. This will reduce the oil pressure to Vanos & may be causing your noise. Still wondering about the crushed oil filter. Got any pics of it?
I did clean the very good they are actually check valves as well, if Vanos oil pressure still would be to low wouldn't it fail the test?
During the test the rpm go to 1200 and you can see the ecm changing to different angles and the is measured value matches.

·
Anti-Hack
4,908 Posts
Knocking, or rattling? The 2 are different, and point to different sources. The N52 also has a lifter tick which may have become exacerbated due to oil starvation and particulate issues.

How do the bearing surfaces of the cams look? Cams are ferrous and could be a partial cause of the metal. Same with the cam phasers and chains.

The oil filters on these get twisted upon installation, is that what you're referring to? Installation error is pretty difficult. Does the filter have any metal in it?

I'm not certain of the oiling circuit in these, but if the metal is in the VANOS screens but not the filter, that points to something between the two being the source of your metal. Further research is needed to trace the oil circuit. Unfortunately, exploratory surgery is in order.

If I were you, I'd pull the timing cover and check the condition of the chain, guides and tensioners. Oil starvation occurred somewhere, and blame is likely due to whomever changed your oil for you. One thing's for certain, it's not going to fix itself. If it were me, I'd pull the pan to clean to replace the pump which is probably full of metal shavings too.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
well not crashed enough to brake the cage this could have been a installation error from last oil change.
CEL came on with error 2A82 intake vanos however that cleared after cleaning and oil change and did not come back.
OK, that makes sense. The restricted crushed oil filter gave you low oil pressure & would cause the CEL. Once you replaced it, you should be OK.

Clean the "2 filters" that you removed & posted picture & re-install & your noise should go away. I believe your rattle was/is from your vanos pistons due to low oil pressure, IMO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, that makes sense. The restricted crushed oil filter gave you low oil pressure & would cause the CEL. Once you replaced it, you should be OK.

Clean the "2 filters" that you removed & posted picture & re-install & your noise should go away. I believe your rattle was/is from your vanos pistons due to low oil pressure, IMO.
First I have to say thanks for this quick response fro all of you.
Rav31 I did clean the filters and vanos valves and it looks like vanos and valves are working now.
The noise is unfortunately still there.

Rattle or knock?
Some of you might remember old engines with adjustable valves. If you would adjust a rocker arm to be to loose the engine would start making noise and that's what it sounds like.
I take a video and post as soon as the weather here gets a little better.
Paul

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Ok...all is working well now but with valve noise. Before I did any other expensive stuff, I'd try adding some Seafoam to crankcase, per instructions, & see if the stops the noise. A cheap try. You may just have some noisy hyd lifters as a result of low oil pressure from crushed filter & clogged vanos filters.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rav31,
I give the seafoam a try, have to wait for the snow to clear up just to nasty out there today. I will report back.
thanks Paul

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had similar issues (noises) after some work. Used 1/8 bottle of of MMO rather than the Seafoam in CC to help eliminate ticking/clicking/clacking. Seafoam in the past didnt quiet it much. For whatever reason, MMO worked alot better to quiet the N-52 down significantly. I have Mobile 1 in the CC right now and maybe thats why MMO worked better, IDK but it did.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts