BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone

This is my first post in here.I just wanted to share with you few of my photos in the egyptian desert.

I would also like to know some tips regarding offroading with the X3 as I'm new to desert driving & off roading. Is it better to turn on or off the DTC. Also, what is this sign that comes on after long pressing the DTC button.

NB: I used to underestimate X3 offroading capabilities till yesterday when it climbed a dune most of the other cars couldn't climb. It outperformed a Q5 and an old porsche cayenne :)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
If it was an "old" Cayenne the guy driving didn't know what he was doing. They (and the T-egg) are vastly more capable than the X3/X5 in off road situations. One of the "knocks" against the Cayenne and T-egg was that they were way over built in that department with lockers and swaybar releases etc. A lot of that was deleted in the new versions to save weight, costs, and gain gas mileage. The "old" Cayenne is right up there with the Jeep, Land Rover. Land Cruiser and Nissan Patrol in off road capability. The other question is of course why would anyone take their Cayenne off roading in the first place? Probably why all that neat stuff was deleted.:angel:

·
Tri-state BMW dealer
267 Posts
pushing dtc would turn off regular traction control and enable the dynamic tc. holding it completely shuts off any traction control(i believe) and brings up the warning triangle with an exclamation point to let you know. i would assume that shutting if off completely would give you better access to your power but youd be worried about spinning your tires. i feel like with it on the completely the TC would keep you going abit slower but more carefully. DTC on seems like a nice compromise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As someone that has both of the cars mentioned, 2006 model year for both, the Cayenne still is the king of the hill. No doubt there. Took mine many times off roading and that thing was built like a Jeep in many (good) ways. Sure it had its share of issues and required MANY visits to the dealership but it is indeed an awesome SUV.
The X3 is also superb and a great vehicle. :thumbup:

CR

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Nice pictures!! The dark color in contrast with the sand is just awesome. More X2!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.