BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much research and visits to dealers we traded the '07 X3 on a '08 Acura TL-Navi. We were disappointed to find that the trade-in value of the '07 X3 ($47,500 new) was so low. Found out that the used vehicle market is full of X3's. Our local BMW (small) dealer has 7, X3's from 2006 to 2007. The SUV experience was just not for us and the "Clunky" X3 transmission did not help as well as the bouncy ride.
So we went back to a sedan for the comfort and entry and exit ease. We enjoyed the X3 (especially the dealer) and thought it was a very advanced vehicle until we looked around. The Acura is ahead in technology. And sticker was over $10,000 less. The Nav system comparisons are like comparing an 8 track player to an I-Pod! Voice activation (and touch screen) for Most all nav functions and also for the climate control system, sound system and phone. A back-up camera that is quick and clear. Factory Sound system is impressive --6 disk CD/AM/FM/XM Sat. /Cassette??/MP3/WMA/and DVD-Audio--with 5.1 surround sound….The things that were dealer activated (for a charge) on the X3 are available to the owner as a DIY. I still find myself still "feathering" the throttle" on start up expecting the "X3 lurch" and wait for the sloppy 2 to 3 up shift when driving the TL. Trans is smooth and always in the right gear, acceleration is quicker and the engine is quieter. Its nice to take a bumpy corner without the pitching and bobbing that the X3 did. We priced a equally equipped 328i (with the standard engine) and it was almost $10,000 more and the trade-in was poor.
So its been an experience..but it was not for us. We still have our Z4 which we enjoy very much and intend to keep for a while..unless the new "Z" whatever wows us..Hope BMW gets the 6 sp auto sorted out for the rest of you--I could not wait any longer while watching my '07 drop in value while I was not getting "the experience" I expected.
So like the Yankee's announcer says---"See-Ya" :wave:

·
I love my beautiful wife.
2,151 Posts
There seems to be so many people unhappy with the X3. Although it's not for me, I've had a few as loaners and I didn't think they were bad at all. Didn't notice any weird trans issues either.

Acura builds a nice reliable appliance, good luck!

·
My Other Car Is A Bus
1,097 Posts
Now that you mention it, I see quite a few late model used X3's on the dealer lots. Having test driven the RDX tech twice, I really liked the electronics. I mean voice activated everything! A great stereo, great nav,lots of storage space. The driving experience did not measure up to my X3, and the overall comfort, and fit and finsh quality were not on par with my X3. For me it was a choice of fancy doo dads (which I love), or everything else but them. So I leased another X3. I'm sure you'll be very happy with Acura, and the reliability, and minimal maintenance required are pluses too. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
There seems to be so many people unhappy with the X3. Although it's not for me, I've had a few as loaners and I didn't think they were bad at all. Didn't notice any weird trans issues either.

Acura builds a nice reliable appliance, good luck!
The Z's and X3's are the last of the cars in BMW's lineup to get updated technology.

When you buy an X3 or Z, you are buying 1990's. This has prevented many folks from even considering the X3.

If you compare the interior of an X3 to 3/5/6/7/X5/6 it is obvious it is way behind. And if you compare the X3's features/technology to any other SUV brand out there, it becomes even more obvious.

So you really have to like the X3 handling and bumpy ride in order not to choose something else. But yes, they are plummeting in value along with many other cars right now.

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,693 Posts
Dug: sorry to hear about your loss. It was hard or me to do also.

can I ask what the trade in value was?

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
If you compare the interior of an X3 to 3/5/6/7/X5/6 it is obvious it is way behind. And if you compare the X3's features/technology to any other SUV brand out there, it becomes even more obvious.
I didn't think the interior of the new X3's were all that bad. I've had a loaner before. I wasn't a fan of it, wouldn't buy one... but I could see how it could be the perfect car for someone.

I, so far, like the interior of my 08 X5. They only thing that continually confuses me are the air flow settings. .. messed me up on my 07 335cic too... WAY easier to use on hubbys 01 235xi.

To the OP: Glad you've got a vehicle that makes you happy now! :thumbup: Nothing worse than driving a car you're not 100% sold on, trust me...I feel your pain.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
I like the interior of the X3. But that's mainly because it resembles the cockpit of a E46 or older BMW. Nevertheless, it's important to drive a vehicle you really love.

When/if the X3 ever gets retired, I plan to replace it with an E46. Yup, you read that right ;)

·
Registered
485 Posts
yeah tech-wise the X3 is old.....is a 2004 car....mine dun even comes with navi etc and that was a good thing because i knew the navi system in the BMWS SUX!!!!....the newer bmw have made some improvements to the navi system

BMW's navi have always been a POS....when Acura's system is one of the best out there.......even back in 2004.....i remember looking at a 2004 TSX and test drove one....and man that was a VERY nice system

and yes when comparing that with the BMW's (or even others navi system ie MBZ's) is like day and nite back then in 2004..and not to mention all that voice control in the Acura (climate, radio etc etc all by voice recong)

but besides the navi, stereo and the fun gadgets etc. the features that counts IMO stayed the same even with the newer BMW model, ie HDC, traction control programming, brake drying feature during when wet, dynamic headlights etc etc....i dun think they added a whole lot of such features in the new BMW (correct me if i am wrong)

and not to mention the car-like handling on the X3 that you almost cannot find in any SUV/SAV....which is what you get from a harsh ride.......so is a trade off pretty much

·
Registered
140 Posts
The X3 has old navi system, but state-of-the-art engineering and handling far beyond. (especially the 07+ with the N52)

The Acura is a nicer Accord and a fine car/appliance that will last for the ages no doubt. It ain't no 3 series or Merc C class but you can take it to the bank so, I'll leave it at that.

BTW, VERY IMPORTANT:

You do know that there is a completely all-new TL just about to be released later this summer early fall right?? Before delivery I thought you shoud know that if you already don't.

Good luck with the TL.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Looking for different things...

I think we're all looking for different things. Personally, I really like the simplicity of the X3. I don't want navigation and really like the simple layout. That said, I came from a 1998 Audi A4 to a 2006 E46 330Cic, to the X3. Some of the new Mercedes, BMWs, Acuras etc have simply too much going on. It's a veritable Button Fiesta in the cockpit and that's a total turnoff for me. Even the new Audis are doing that (read: A8) and that's a shame, because Audi long had some of the best interior designs out there.
Well, I know what I like. It's entirely consistent with the fact that I LOVE the new 128, but am kind of luke warm on the 3-series. Keep it simple...

-James
Seattle, WA

2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual, premium, sport, xenons, PDC, ...no button fiesta)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dug: sorry to hear about your loss. It was hard or me to do also.

can I ask what the trade in value was?
from $30 to $32k...Kelly and NADA show about $30 to $30.5--so Thats where I was. I got $32.5 on a full sticker TL.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The X3 has old navi system, but state-of-the-art engineering and handling far beyond. (especially the 07+ with the N52)

The Acura is a nicer Accord and a fine car/appliance that will last for the ages no doubt. It ain't no 3 series or Merc C class but you can take it to the bank so, I'll leave it at that.

BTW, VERY IMPORTANT:

You do know that there is a completely all-new TL just about to be released later this summer early fall right?? Before delivery I thought you shoud know that if you already don't.

Good luck with the TL.
I had a 2007 3 series for a loaner for a day and I was not impressed...nice car but not for $40k
I seen the press on the '09--bigger more power and $2.5k more--I suspect by then the X3 would have dropped even more.:dunno:

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
It's simple: If you care for the hardware, buy a German car. If you care for intuitive software and the latest integration of technology, buy a Japanese car.

I'm a person that follows the first sentence. I'm SO bored with my mom's 325i, despite the fact it has all options short of sat nav and ACC. The novelty of CA has worn off, the "user-adjustable key memory" has lost its fun, the high-tech head unit and climate control is now just plain annoying, and the extensive check control menus have gotten boring. That leaves me with the chassis (which is dull), the engine (which is efficient & powerful but too quiet), and the gearbox (which is rubbish).

This means that if I ever buy an Acura or Lexus, I'll be fascinated by the sat nav for about a week. And then I'll complain everyday about the powertrain.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It's simple: If you care for the hardware, buy a German car. If you care for intuitive software and the latest integration of technology, buy a Japanese car.
well said...and that's always been the case....even b4 all these nice navi and other gadgets came about...japanese always had better bells and whistles (ie fancy display gauges etc etc)

but if you look at other stuff...i did say German cars always have the leg up

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
One of the reasons I bought the X3 was the lack of all the gadgetry installed by car mfg's. IMO it is an easy way to make a huge profit margin. I'd rather they spent the money on the brakes than on a cool nav screen.

The more blinky lights on a piece of audio hardware the less is in it, and that is the case with most car tech add ons.

Dug01--glad you got to have your cake and eat it to by keeping the Z while getting the dependability as well.

Cheers,

EE

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
As I told my IT guys when they tried to sell me some new piece of fancy gee whiz software that does very little more than our current applications, "Guys, our computers are business tools, not a hobby."

In a like manner, I buy a car for the driving, not the electronic gadgets. For me, German Cars are for driving, not computer like entertainment. IF you want gadgets, go to a computer store or a Japanese car dealer. If you want driving pleasure, go to a BMW dealer and delete as many of their fouled up software driven systems as possible, like the iDrive and X3 Auto Transmission.:angel:

Cheers

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
The current TL is long in the tooth, and it is no BMW, but it is one of the most balanced, best overall FWD sedans available today.

It is a great balance of decent handling, great fuel economy, stellar reliability and great electronics.

Honda is, first and foremost, an engine company, and they build great engines...

Not sure why you traded the X3, everyone knows you give up a LOT of money by trading instead of doing a private sale...

I never trade, I can't stomach throwing away $5k just to avoid posting an autotrader ad, and spending a few saturday mornings showing the car to prospective buyers.

Every car I have sold privately has netted me thousands more than the dealer was offering, with relatively little effort on my part.

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
The X3 has old navi system, but state-of-the-art engineering and handling far beyond. (especially the 07+ with the N52) .
Hate to burst your bubble but the X3, does not have state of the art engineering.... it is based on the E46 which is long gone and very outdated. Yes they have done an engine swap for the N52 but that is pretty much it, everything else is just plastic, sheet metal and antiquated bits.

Sales are plummeting (not US leases) in both new and used markets because the thing is so ancient, it is based on tech from the 1990's as someone else mentioned.

The New model X3 will be released a year earlier than originally thought as it will be the last of the old style cars (the New Z will be released this Winter). BMW has put the X3 on the fast track and the prototypes for engine/ drive train are already rolling, the pre-production bodies will be making their rounds this summer. The X1 will be offered before the new X3.....

:thumbup:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure why you traded the X3, everyone knows you give up a LOT of money by trading instead of doing a private sale...

I sold one of my cars privately and 2 days later the new owner killed himself in it. Another one I sold privately came back to haunt me repeatedly for every little squeak and rattle--sorry in these days of blood sucking lawyers I do not want the liability. I checked the local listings and the dealer was asking $36.5 for an CPOed X3 equiped like mine--so I would be lucky to get $33-$34 from a street sale----kelly blue book lists for private party sale--$33690..So not a LOT more..like I said I was very disappointed on the resale of this vehicle that stickered for $47.5...live and learn I guess.
Or course the Acura would be discounted some without a trade--if I financed I would get a better deal--dealers do not make as much on cash sales.....:dunno: Well I am going to jump in my Z4 and take it out and give it a good spanking..:D

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The New model X3 will be released a year earlier than originally thought as it will be the last of the old style cars (the New Z will be released this Winter).
:thumbup:
From what I have been reading expect a major price hike on most new models from Europe (like the outrageously priced 1 series) because of the weak dollar. Vehicles manufactured in the US with large percentage of American parts and labor will be bargains.--Honda, Toyota, and soon Hundai will be more affortable than Audi, BMW, Volvo etc. that are fully manufactured in Europe. If the X3 production moves to the states that wil help depending on how many of the assemblies are made here. Tough times ahead I'm afraid.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts