BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I want to get an OEM hitch for my '04 X3. I have seen that there are two part numbers for the hitch: one for pre 09/06 (71-60-0-303-878) and one for 09/06 and later (71-60-0-035-368) There is also the part number for the ball and tongue which is good for all years (72-11-0-303-879).

A dealer has told me that BMW now only lists the 71-60-0-035-368 part number (post '06) for all X3's.

Does anyone know the difference between the two parts? Does the post '06 part number really work/fit as well (or at all) for pre '06 models?

I think I can find a source for the supposed discontinued part number, but I can find the post '06 part cheaper. If it works just as well, I'll go with it. But if I have to do something like cut the exterior of by bumper cover to make the new part fit, I would definitely get the original part (my bumper has the removable panel that should keep me from having to cut the outside of my bumper).

Also, I have seen that there is an excellent post for the installation of a hitch on an '06 X3, but wonder does anyone have any instructions for installing on an 04-05 which have the different (non-painted) bumper and use the pre '06 part? -Thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
From everything I have been told, the new part number is the replacement for the old one, and works for all years. In '06 (in the US at least) they dropped the black plastic bumpers and the new models required more extensive cutting of the bumpers to accomodate the hitch, which is accomodated in the new part.

I am in the process of ordering an OEM hitch also for my '06, and have been directed to the newer part number by both my local dealer and US sources (where I will likely buy the hitch given the significant price difference in Canada). My Canadian '06 still has the black plastic bumpers similar to your '04.

Also, apparently even in the US now you can no longer order just the hitch cross member (without the electrics):cry:. I was hoping to get just this part as I only intend to use the hitch for a bike carrier, but now I'm looking at the full kit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. If you look around enough at BMW dealers on the web, there still seems to be some places that you can get just the OEM hitch cross member without the wire harness. I've seen it for as low $164 + shipping. Don't know if once you try to order it, if they will say it's no longer available, though.

Does anyone know if there is anything special about the ball & tongue for an OEM hitch?
Can you use a universal ball mount instead?

Apparently, though the receiver is available, the BMW ball & tongue is on back-order with no known available date at every dealer I've checked with.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks for the input. If you look around enough at BMW dealers on the web, there still seems to be some places that you can get just the OEM hitch cross member without the wire harness. I've seen it for as low $164 + shipping. Don't know if once you try to order it, if they will say it's no longer available, though.
If you hear of anyone with the hitch cross member in stock, please PM me and let me know. I have contacted a couple of places so far about it and both have responded that they can no longer order it on it's own.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did you try Circle BMW? Its still on their website.

E83

Cross Member
from 09/06-on

More Info
List: $ 205.00 *
Sale $ 165.00 *

·
Registered
1 Posts
Canadian orders from US

Although our Dollar is on par, Canadian dealers are asking over $700 for the full kit :thumbdwn: (71 60 0 303 878) - the same part is sold in the US for $379! :thumbup:

Has anyone had any luck having a US dealer ship an order to Canada?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Although our Dollar is on par, Canadian dealers are asking over $700 for the full kit :thumbdwn: (71 60 0 303 878) - the same part is sold in the US for $379! :thumbup:

You can probably talk a Cdn dealer down to about $600 if you work at it, although that still doesn't compare to the US prices :cry:. For ordering in the US, try Hunterdon BMW or BMW of Bloomfield, I believe they may ship to Canada although you can expect to pay a fair amount for shipping ($100+). All in with shipping, duty and taxes at the border, the landed Canadian price will be in the low to mid $500's - so if you can talk your dealer down, it may be worth it ordering in Canada and having access to instructions and quick chats with the local guys during the install (if you're going to do it yourself).

Good luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello,
I want to get an OEM hitch for my '04 X3. I have seen that there are two part numbers for the hitch: one for pre 09/06 (71-60-0-303-878) and one for 09/06 and later (71-60-0-035-368) There is also the part number for the ball and tongue which is good for all years (72-11-0-303-879).

A dealer has told me that BMW now only lists the 71-60-0-035-368 part number (post '06) for all X3's.

Does anyone know the difference between the two parts? Does the post '06 part number really work/fit as well (or at all) for pre '06 models?

I think I can find a source for the supposed discontinued part number, but I can find the post '06 part cheaper. If it works just as well, I'll go with it. But if I have to do something like cut the exterior of by bumper cover to make the new part fit, I would definitely get the original part (my bumper has the removable panel that should keep me from having to cut the outside of my bumper).

Also, I have seen that there is an excellent post for the installation of a hitch on an '06 X3, but wonder does anyone have any instructions for installing on an 04-05 which have the different (non-painted) bumper and use the pre '06 part? -Thanks
This is a very old post. I hope you could share your experience, pics, installation tips. I own a 2005 (black plastic, yet reliable long lasting bumper) and want to install a hitch to transport a mountain bike. Any input would be greatly appreciate it.

·
Freshly Addicted
432 Posts

any canadians reading this old thread looking for the hitch assembly, Contact ECS tuning to see if they can ship it to you. No reason for our northern brothers to suffer with Dealers robbing them blind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts