Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new interior in my opinion of the new 3 series and the x5 look good and seem to match a new interior trend.

Does this mean the new x3 interior is already outdated a year after its launch?

Will the new x3 recieve the matching interior as the new x5 and 3 serieis?

If so it makes it hard to purchase if u know the x3 interior will radically change I 2020 possibly.

What are on your thoughts about this. I'm a bit upset

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
There is always "something better / newer" . If you want to buy a new car 2-3 years after getting the one you have, and its the same brand, then they have done their job. Thats why some lease (to get a new car with new features every 2 -3 years). You pay for that privilege , but you also pay for it if you sell a car you purchased sooner than about 6 years.. the amount you pay ends up being about the same.

·
BMW Fanatic
430 Posts
I must admit that I find it a bit odd that the X5 and new 3 series have quite differently styled interiors to that of the X3 which launched only 9 months or so earlier. This is especially true of the digital dashboard. It makes you think that the cars were designed in a different era or the design teams were not talking to each other or maybe BMW were listening to criticisms and reacted quickly. Who knows? But does it matter?

I do not like the new presentation for the instruments in the new 3, 5 series and X5. So the X3 is fine for my wife and I. For us the X3 is fine as is, and the new interior style can stay for the cars for which BMW designed them. It is very easy to be trapped into the feeling that what we have is not, in some way, good enough because there is a new one that has been released. If you like the X3 when you bought it, what changed when you saw the new 3 series interior? Is it better in some way or is it just some feeling that you are now behind the times. This trap is how manufacturers sell us new cars, phones etc. I doubt the 2nd hand value of the X3 has changed because of the new 3 series.

So I would humbly suggest that you be happy with what you have and enjoy the car for its own set of values. If the new 3 series is what you want, sell the X3 and buy one. I am sure that the X3 will get a mid cycle refresh, but unless you see value in the refreshed vehicle you will probably be happy with what you have.

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,373 Posts
There are two different dynamics at play here.

Having the newest or “best” thing in its class.

BMW releasing a significant update to I-drive/interior language so shortly after launch of an all new generation vehicle.

On one hand, keeping up with the newest thing is a lost cause unless you are ok with taking a loss every time you lease or trade/sell “early”

On the other some of us feel annoyed at a significant change in something as central as the idrive/instrument cluster so quickly after launch. I find it very annoying, but not enough to trade in just because of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with the manufacturer trap. It is very annoying. If it was subtle like what they did to the 2018 4 series I can move on. There are chNges to the shifter which is smaller and nicer. Ac vents look cool now and both the dash display and speedometer display have completely changed.

I was intending to purchase a 2019 x3. So to me this means I must wait probably for 2020. Or maybe hope they won't carry over this design to the x3?

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
My thoughts. Went from a 2014 to 2019. Love everything new about the 19...a few nit picks but no big deal. I will say if you want to wait ...wait...if not buy now. Life is short. Real short. Do what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
I agree with the manufacturer trap. It is very annoying. If it was subtle like what they did to the 2018 4 series I can move on. There are chNges to the shifter which is smaller and nicer. Ac vents look cool now and both the dash display and speedometer display have completely changed.

I was intending to purchase a 2019 x3. So to me this means I must wait probably for 2020. Or maybe hope they won't carry over this design to the x3?
So you wait for a 202 model, and in 2021 BMW introduces new technology on the 3 series. It's a game with manufactures. I just had an x3 as a loaner from BMW and really like it, it was optioned how I like it, but overall it's a huge improvement over the last Gen X3. Each year something will be added or deleted from cars its a risk you take waiting.

·
2019 X3 M40i
102 Posts
I don't understand why people get upset - there is always something new coming - you will never be happy if you're worried about what might be coming next year, or the next year, or the next year...if you like the vehicle, buy it and enjoy it...

·
Extended Euro Delivery
3,373 Posts
I don't understand why people get upset - there is always something new coming - you will never be happy if you're worried about what might be coming next year, or the next year, or the next year...if you like the vehicle, buy it and enjoy it...

I don’t disagree, but they should have Timed Idrive 7 with the CLAR platform rollout. Please tell me the last time a brand new generation had its CIC outdated by a parallel model inside of 12 months?

·
Registered
73 Posts
My thoughts. Went from a 2014 to 2019. Love everything new about the 19...a few nit picks but no big deal. I will say if you want to wait ...wait...if not buy now. Life is short. Real short. Do what you are comfortable with.
Same here. Nice upgrade from the 14'. My main interest was the M Sport steering wheel which is great!

·
Registered
110 Posts
If they update the interior, I can't see them doing it until 2021 at the earliest. I don't see why they would though. It's not like i7.0 is dramatically better. The m40i has a digital gauge already. My 30i has a partial one. It's not that big a deal IMO.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How about the screen on the dash becoming more built in. And the shifter shrinking .
On some cars, they're sort of heading in the direction of how Mercedes has dual screens. It's not all the way like Mercedes does though. It's a half hearted attempt.

The shifter shrinking? That bothers you that much? Are you serious?

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
Being bothered by this is just... insane. I'd suggest never buying a new car.
OP should be leasing, not buying cars since its obvious that OP likes "the latest". If OP is in a lease, they would only have to suffer with the current car for the lease term, which is generally 36 months.

·
Registered
110 Posts
OP should be leasing, not buying cars since its obvious that OP likes "the latest". If OP is in a lease, they would only have to suffer with the current car for the lease term, which is generally 36 months.
I wholeheartedly agree. But don't lease a Tesla. They can change stuff on you, without telling you, at any moment. Even in the time you order one to be leased. And they won't do anything about it other than say, "take it or leave it".

For other people in regards to Tesla, it's typically what normal people would consider minor stuff. Like the shape of the bolsters on a seat or from one tan to another tan color. Or the shape of a/c vents. :dunno:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Leasing would be great but it's cheaper to buy than lease where I'm living. You can think about it in another way. There is a reason why ppl/org are willing to spend more money on products with longer refresh cycles. But when the cycles start appearing alot sooner than usual then ur reason for spending that extra money comes into question. I just saw the new 3 serieis interior again and gets me upset all over again. Too sexy maybe I'll just suffer with the new 3 serieis until they move the interior into the x3 : D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2018 5 series with full digital dash and was curious about the new look in the X5 and upcoming 3 series refresh. I went to the dealership today to see the all new X5 up close. At first, I was impressed, but upon further inspection, the digital dash isn't HD. It's grainy with pixeliation. The digital dash in my 5 series is ultra HD compared to the X5. The idrive 7 looks fresh, but it didn't appear to offer any Earth shattering difference to the idrive 6 I currently have. Initial impression is idrive 6 is better although I didn't explore everything the idrive 7 offered. The headup display has a different layout but I didn't test drive the vehicle to see it in full detail, however, what I was able to see wasn't too exciting.

Overall, the full digital dash in the 5 series and X3 is much better from a resolution standpoint. Idrive is personal preference. You'll understand what I'm saying when you see it up close in person. I left very happy in the 5 series interior. New is not necessarily better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned already or if this is common knowledge, but I have it on good authority that BMW is moving to 4 year lifecycles for each generation. No more 7ish years with a mid-cycle refresh. We will be seeing a lot more changes more often.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts