BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't refer to answers in other threads. This pertains to the 2011 X3 ONLY.
I ordered the car with "Smartphone Integration" (which cost extra) only to be informed at delivery that "total" integration required the additional adapter, and that they were not yet available. To-date, continually (weekly) checking with three separate parts departments at Northern California BMW dealers since I took delivery of my 2011 X3, the snap-in adapter for the iPhone 4 is NOT available.

Not too disappointing or anything. :cry:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do iPhone adaptors work in pre April 2011 X3s

Seems like they are changing how iPhones integrate with the X3 starting in April with the introduction of option 6NR. I have an iPhone 3G, I purchased the iPhone 3G 3GS snap in media adaptor. It will display the music on my iPhone, make it look like its playing, but you cannot hear the music. Others have reported this problem as will.

They are coming out with a new 3GS 4G snap in adaptor that will work with option 6NR which is available for X3s built after March.

It would be great if our current 2011 X3s were field upgradable to 6NR but not one has yet said this is the case. If not I guess we'll keep using the Y adaptor.

If anyone has a snap in adaptor for ANY iphone playing music(you can hear) with their 2011 X3, can they let us know what they did.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 X5M
1,751 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Media Adaptor

Thanks for the link. I paid the $228 at the dealer for the media adaptor which "should" have worked. Others 2011 deliveries have installed the media adaptor on their X3 and are reporting the same problem playing music with their iPhones.

My hope is that either the new adaptor or 6NR will prevent this problem for others.

Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious - I did try turning up the volume on the radio and iPhone. So if anyone has their iPhone playing music thru the snap-in adaptor let me know.

·
Registered
2021 X5M
1,751 Posts
Not sure what is happening, but the F25 X3 should have option 6VC, which is the Combox Controller. With the Combox controller the Y cable is not needed and to play music only the Apple USB 30 pin cable is required to plug into the armrest USB. The iPhone has to be in the music play mode and the iDrive selection is via the AUX/USB for the music. At least this is how it is for my 2011 335is which has the Combox and same iDrive software as the X3.

The advantage of the clip-in adaptor is to have the phone use the car's antenna system, which will theoretically boast the reception.

Try the iPhone without the adaptor and just the Apple 30 pin USB cable.

Wonder if the 6NR will require the adaptor?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't see a 6VC for the X3 just 6NF 6NL and 6NR. The iphone works great with the apple white 30 pin USB connector or Y-cable just not the media snap-in adaptor. Still looking for someone with an iPhone that plays music with a snap-in adaptor on a 2011 X3.

·
Registered
2021 X5M
1,751 Posts
The 6VC is not a customer option, should be listed on your factory build sheet. The dealership can pull this up for you. 6NF = 6VC being added when that option is selected and the order is entered triggers 6VC being added.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some of us have been sold snap-in adaptors and were told repeatedly they were media adaptors when in fact they are music adaptors. These will not actually play music.

To play music with a snap-in adaptor on a 2011 X3 built after September, only the following 2 media adaptors will work.

3G/3GS 84219229004
4G 84212199392

Neither is shipping in the US as of today. Until they ship, using the Apple white 30 pin USB connector works great for playing music and seems to provide all the music functionality as the media snap-in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Iphone 3GS snap-in adaptor works fine for the phone. Iphone playes music via bluetooth, tracks not visible, changing tracks with the big knob works fine.
The whole snap-in adaptor is actualy useless as except for a better reception with the antenna. When I connect the Iphone via USB, I have both contacts and music tracks visible on the screen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are 3 iPhone 3G adaptors-

basic - charges phone and utilizes antenna
music - for BMWs made before Sept 2010 music over USB
media - for BMWS made after Sept 2010 music and cover art over USB

You likely have the basic 3G snap-in if the music is playing over BlueTooth.

In California having the BMW talk control of the iPod app on the iPhone is preferable since touching your iPhone while driving is Illegal in California. Never mind that with option 6NR you'll soon be able to FaceBook and Twitter from your BMW, we still can't touch our iPhones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was just told today by my parts dealer in Chicago that delivery dates for iPhone 4 music and media cradles have now been pushed back to July according to their system. Lovely. I understand that the media adapter will essentially do the same thing as the existing USB connection (which works fine) with possible improved signal, but I want this snap in option simply for convenience. I've noticed I don't routinely get in my car, seach under the adaptor arm for my cord, plug in the phone and place the phone in the missing snap-in area before driving off. However, I WILL use it more when it's as easy as snap-n-go I bet.

Are there any reputable OEM options for these?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Was just told today by my parts dealer in Chicago that delivery dates for iPhone 4 music and media cradles have now been pushed back to July according to their system. Lovely. I understand that the media adapter will essentially do the same thing as the existing USB connection (which works fine) with possible improved signal, but I want this snap in option simply for convenience. I've noticed I don't routinely get in my car, seach under the adaptor arm for my cord, plug in the phone and place the phone in the missing snap-in area before driving off. However, I WILL use it more when it's as easy as snap-n-go I bet.

Are there any reputable OEM options for these?
Delay possibly due to crisis in Japan?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I bought the USB/aux/12volt x3 cable at the dealer and the iPhone/iPod with USB/aux adapter at best buy for my 328 and it works perfectly. I can not only see the artist and tracks, but the album covers as well. The only reason I bought the BMW cable was because it charges at the same time. I just keep my iPod in the car and my iPhone in my pocket for Bluetooth phone calls. This way I never have to worry about connecting my phone in the center console.

·
Registered
66 Posts
aside from an Iphone adapter, can someone tell me what the standard set up is in the X3 for an Itouch (IPOD)? I know the Ipod interface is standard although is that specifically the center console adapter which illustrates the artwork, charges it, etc...? Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
White Apple cable charges iPhone

I bought the USB/aux/12volt x3 cable at the dealer and the iPhone/iPod with USB/aux adapter at best buy for my 328 and it works perfectly. I can not only see the artist and tracks, but the album covers as well. The only reason I bought the BMW cable was because it charges at the same time. I just keep my iPod in the car and my iPhone in my pocket for Bluetooth phone calls. This way I never have to worry about connecting my phone in the center console.
In my X3 the white USB cable that comes with the iPhone will charge the iPhone so its not clear that the AUX/USB cable from BMW actually does anything that the white Apple cable does not do.

I really like the idea of just leaving an iPod in the car. I have forgotten to take out my iPhone many times although now I'm getting into the habit.

I'm still waiting for my media snap-in adaptor in hopes that cell reception via the car antenna with the media adaptor will be better than the music snap-in adaptor they originally gave me. The music adaptor did not give much improved cell reception over having the phone in my pocket.

Has anyone got an iPhone 3G/3Gs or i{hone 4 media adaptor yet??

·
Registered
12 Posts
White Apple Cable

aside from an Iphone adapter, can someone tell me what the standard set up is in the X3 for an Itouch (IPOD)? I know the Ipod interface is standard although is that specifically the center console adapter which illustrates the artwork, charges it, etc...? Thanks.
For an iPod touch, the white Apple USB cable plugged into the X3 USB port does everything that a snap-in adaptor would be able to do with the iPod app running in an iPhone plugged into a MEDIA snap-in adaptor.

The above applies to playing music. If you have option 6NR then you need the snap-in adaptor for the additional BMW apps to work. I know that 3GS and 4G iphones are compatible with 6NR. I don't know about the iPod touch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks ScottX3 -- one additional question -- where is the USB port in the car? Wasn't sure if it was on the dash or maybe in the glove...Happy to hear that would charge it as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
USB Port

The USB port is in the armrest compartment, so you can connect your iPod and leave it there if you have an extra iPod.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Please don't refer to answers in other threads. This pertains to the 2011 X3 ONLY.
I ordered the car with "Smartphone Integration" (which cost extra) only to be informed at delivery that "total" integration required the additional adapter, and that they were not yet available. To-date, continually (weekly) checking with three separate parts departments at Northern California BMW dealers since I took delivery of my 2011 X3, the snap-in adapter for the iPhone 4 is NOT available.

Not too disappointing or anything. :cry:
I know the feeling. I got that option as well but it is pretty useless now. Another option that I find useless was Sirius radio. It wasn't much but still sitting useless, not even activated yet. I use USB thumb drive to load music.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I know the feeling. I got that option as well but it is pretty useless now. Another option that I find useless was Sirius radio. It wasn't much but still sitting useless, not even activated yet. I use USB thumb drive to load music.
For sirius / xm I plan on using the droid app and connecting my phone via the aux port.
Much cheaper in the long run.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts