BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
X3*****
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 X3 has 51K miles and is now running rough and stalling when I put it into reverse to get out of the garage. It puts itself in neutral and gives a message to put it in park. No other messages. It starts just fine immediately after but still feels rough and no get up and go like it used to. I complained on several service visits that it was feeling rough but it was not able to be duplicated during oil changes etc. It is much rougher and slower now.
I was hoping to get some feedback here before I approach the dealer as I am 1,000 miles out of warranty :cry: and I hate going in without some knowledge and I can't help feeling like I am unable to have a good discussion with the advisors (as a 60+ woman without a lot of car knowledge :). Have googled this but not much luck on this issue. I am also new to this forum as so I apologize as I am having a bit of difficulty figuring out how to search on this site. I think this may be a general issue and not just an X3 issue.

Thanks, any help is appreciated!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Did you first report it within the warranty period?
Video every time you do your routine. Delete it if nothing goes wrong, but when it happens you can show it. It should be giving a error code if it's kicking you into neutral.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
No one is able to diagnose this ‘remotely’; step #1 in determining the problem is for a mechanic to connect diagnostic computer and read car’s fault codes.
This could be as simple as a failing coil pack on a single spark plug or ??? - you need the shop to diagnose.
Good luck/Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
X3*****
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I reported the rough feeling but it didn't start stalling until after warranty. I will take your advice and make a video tomorrow morning. I notice the tachometer is always above the 1 when it stalls. If I wait until it drops down to below 1 before I put it in reverse it doesn't stall.

·
X3*****
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks. I was hoping that someone out there would say they had the same problem and had already figured out what this is. Im taking it in tomorrow before it gets worse!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Motor stalling?

Hi just a long shot. You say it's when you reverse out of your garage I think? You haven't got your door open have you ? If you do it will make it shift back into neutral and makes the motor run rough.? If you're seat belt is not done up also if you are reversing? Just a thought I got caught with it when reversing a trailer.

·
X3*****
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi thanks for your reply, I don't have the door open...It did stall a few times when I apparently did not have the door shut all the way and gave me a message about securing the car from rolling so now I make sure the car doors are properly shut. Now it just stalls intermittenly when I put it in reverse to back out of my garage or a parking space.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I reported the rough feeling but it didn't start stalling until after warranty. I will take your advice and make a video tomorrow morning. I notice the tachometer is always above the 1 when it stalls. If I wait until it drops down to below 1 before I put it in reverse it doesn't stall.
If you reported it, during the warranty, insist that they fix it under warranty. You will need to speak with the service manager. Get together any phone logs or notes with dates that are before the expiration as proof of notification.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
X3*****
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cautiously optimistic! Yesterday I took it to an independent BMW mechanic who tested it and at first could not replicate it. No fault codes. Finally got it to stall at the end of the day. "looked for obvious causes of stalling" and found none. In the morning it occurred again and apparently it was something related to the "DME control unit" That was "re-coded" . They also told me my car has never had programming updates..? It my line of work that can sometimes be a good thing if there are bugs in the new programs which can cause headaches until they are fixed. Either way I have questions for the dealer but so far today and yesterday, no stalling. And the car just sounds better too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts