BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I test drove a 2019 X3 M40i.

Here are my impressions:

Style: I like it. I***8217;m not a fan of the nickel instead of chrome grill and mirrors, but it***8217;s growing on me.

Drive: This car is a significant upgrade from the F25 X3 35i I had. The engine is very powerful (and of course smooth like all their inline 6s). The car seems every bit as fast as my twin turbo V8 X5. The transmission shifts perfectly. The engine has a great tone, including pops and backfires. The steering is much better than both my X3 and X5. This SUV handles like a car. The brakes are excellent.

Interior: The interior is a big upgrade from my previous F25 X3. I like the new M Sport steering wheel. The seats are supportive, but hard. I***8217;m in an X5 with Multi Contour seats, so this might be the only deal breaker.

Overall, the sportiest and most fun to drive SUV I***8217;ve ever driven. I also sat in a new Macan, but didn***8217;t drive it because it seemed to claustrophobic, and I knew I would not be interested in it.

·
Stuart in Houston
650 Posts
A couple of counterpoints. From someone who has an m40i (love it!),and has driven BMWs for decades.

The car seems every bit as fast as my twin turbo V8 X5.
The inline six is a great little engine, but there is no comparison to the BMW V8. I came from a 550i, and my wife had an X550, so I know the V8 well. It is an amazing motor. When you get those low-RPM torquies working, the V8 gets you moving without breaking a sweat. You get from X to Y (it doesn't matter what speeds you insert for X and Y) quickly, smoothly and so effortlessly, it's just incredible.

The I6 in the m40i is a great engine, and can really move the car, but you can feel it working to get you there. Which it does, and fast. But not quite as graceful and smooth as the V8.

I also sat in a new Macan, but didn't drive it because it seemed to claustrophobic, and I knew I would not be interested in it.
I never understood the appeal of Porsche, especially as a lifelong BMW driver. My wife, who has driven an X5 since they were first introduced. decided she wanted to test drive a Cayenne.

Holy moley! It is a phenomenal driving car. She's driven X5s for almost two decades, and loves loves loves the X5, but she went nuts over the Cayenne. It simply handles superbly. She ended up with a Cayenne S; a little less power than an X5 5.0 (maybe 410 vs 460), but plenty enough for her, and it handles and drives better than the X5. I've driven it a couple times, and have to agree.

That was earlier this year. A couple months ago, it was time for me to turn in the 550, and after a life of driving sports sedans, I needed to switch to an SUV (SAV!). I wanted a smaller vehicle, so naturally I gravitated to the X3. Test drove the m40i, and as I said earlier, loved it. I also drove the Macan. I felt it drove better, handled better, but to get the power I like, I had to step up to an S or even a GTS. I didn't feel like spending that much money. Plus I felt like the UI (dash, electronics, controls) were *much* better in the X3. And I understand your claustrophobic comment. While the Macan is a better driving vehicle, it's not enough better to outweigh all the other areas where the X3 is one step ahead.

You won't go wrong with an X3, and will love your car, but I wanted to present a couple of counterpoints, just for discussion.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The inline six is a great little engine, but there is no comparison to the BMW V8. I came from a 550i, and my wife had an X550, so I know the V8 well. It is an amazing motor. When you get those low-RPM torquies working, the V8 gets you moving without breaking a sweat. You get from X to Y (it doesn't matter what speeds you insert for X and Y) quickly, smoothly and so effortlessly, it's just incredible.
I agree with you the V8 is very powerful. The 480 foot pounds of torque at low RPMs is what makes the car move at any speed. Nevertheless the X3 M40i is a great replacement for a V8.

I’m in no hurry to replace my X5, but my next test drive will be the new G05 X5. I sat in one at the dealer, and it is very impressive. I couldn’t drive it because every one at the dealer was sold. Based on your comments I will also check out the Cayenne since I believe they are also in their new generation. However last time I checked, they were about $10-15,000 more than the X5 with the same options. (The X3 M40i is the real bargain based on the performance you get).

·
Stuart in Houston
650 Posts
I agree, the X3 m40i is the true bargain if you want that type of SUV. That's why I drive one, and love it. And while it may be a bargain, you don't feel like you've had to compromise.

It's almost unfair to compare X3/Macan and X5/Cayenne, as to get somewhat equal vehicles, the Porsches end up easily 10K-20K more.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thoughts on the Cerium (copper) accents; definitely a personal choice, but they are really made to blend with the 21" wheels. I pulled my 21" summer set up and am running the 20" 695 M-Sport wheels with winter performance tires. I love the Cerium accents with my 21" wheels, but it doesn't work nearly as well with 20" in my Alpine White car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm considering the M40i because the X5 leases are silly right now and I have to replace a car in Feb. I'm just not sure I can deal with the smaller size. I have a 2017 X3 and it's just too small. Anyone compared a '19 to a '17?

·
Diver624
502 Posts
The M40i is a great vehicle. The deal breaker for me was the seats, actually found them uncomfortable. We're used to the multi-contour seats in the X5 and the X3 seats are just not in the same league comfort wise. We ended up with the new X5 but if the seats aren't an issue or the size it's got allot to offer.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Owned multiple X5/ 6/8 cylinders versions/, 2 X3, and bought 2018 MacanS in January 2018, after 1 year absolutely love Macan. IMO best sporty small SUV on a planet.
I am 6,3 / 230 and 14 way seat in Macan the most comfortable i have ever been, driving position is superb.
Agree on issue of size great vehicle for 2-3 adults with small storage, if you need space for 2+ kids and storage Macan is not the right choice.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
677 Posts
Owned multiple X5/ 6/8 cylinders versions/, 2 X3, and bought 2018 MacanS in January 2018, after 1 year absolutely love Macan. IMO best sporty small SUV on a planet.
I am 6,3 / 230 and 14 way seat in Macan the most comfortable i have ever been, driving position is superb.
Agree on issue of size great vehicle for 2-3 adults with small storage, if you need space for 2+ kids and storage Macan is not the right choice.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
My thoughts exactly. I would opt for the 18 way seats if I go with a Macan S or GTS. We’ll see. I need to thoroughly test drive the m40i and the Macan before making a decision.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts