Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 bmw x3. A couple weeks ago it died in the grocery store parking lot. Tried jumping it off and nothing happened. Got it towed to the house and found code for eccentric shaft position sensor. It had some oil on the connector so i ordered one and replaced it along with valve cover and seal. Car still doesnt crank. I put the battery on a tender overnight and came back the next afternoon and still no crank. Did some troubleshooting and decided to replace the starter on a hunch it was bad. I just installed it and it clicked three times but nothing else. I started to troubleshoot more.when i turn the key there is a relay on the ews that is clicking. I am not familiar with the ews and need to know if this ia my problem or is it something else down the line that is not starting the car. Ita getting fuel and the white wire going to the starter is getting voltage when i turn the key.this is the wifes car and im heading out of town next month and need this car fixed preferrably without involving a bmw dealer. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,465 Posts
What is the brand and model of the "battery ... tender?"

A Deltran Battery Tender® output is only 1.25 Amperes that will take about 100 hours to charge a full sized automobile starting battery.

I just noticed your username. Dr. Norman McSwain was an honored mentor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a harley davidson tender. I will have to look at it to see its output. Its an interstate battery dated october of 2016.

And i have never heard of a norman mcswain. Its my last name. I will have to look him up

·
Nuclear engineer
17,465 Posts
If your BMW has an Absorbed Glass Mat - AGM - battery and / or an Intelligent Battery Sensor - IBS, then you need an AGM sensitive battery CHARGER. I use a CTEK 4.3 MUS

An AGM battery must not be charged with more than 14.8 VDC, or 4 Amperes, or ***8220;rapid charged***8221; (which requires more than both 14.8 VDC or 4 Amps).

·
Nuclear engineer
17,465 Posts
Quite possibly, yes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. I dont have an agm tender and dont have money for another battery this week but i put my battery out of my truck just to see if a different battery would change anything and the starter clicked three times like before but nothing else. This battery is alot smaller though than the bmw battery

·
Nuclear engineer
17,465 Posts
Physical size is more correlated with AH capacity than capability, starting current.

The battery that I first trained on was 126 cells 1250 pounds each, a 150,000 pound battery, and rated current was only about 2,000 Amps. The bus bars were about 3***8221; x 3/8***8221;.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats alot. I looked up the battery. Its an interstate mtp-49/h8. There website say it is not an agm battery

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The battery has 12.4 volts. I turn the key amd the relay on the ews under the driver side kick panel clicks the whole time you turn the key. Is this the starter relay?

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
There is no starter relay. The starter has 12VDC at all times. The EWS provides 12VDC exciter current to the starter when the key code matches the EWS code. Your key and EWS codes match as you’re getting clicking. I bet the starter is the problem. However, check the voltage at the jumper post under the red plastic cover under the hood. Use the engine as ground. There have been instances where the connection between the main power cable that runs from the battery to the jumper post and the underhood main power cable becomes corroded. That corrosion causes a major voltage drop so that the starter isn’t getting 12VDC. Also, check the engine ground strap. The strap’s connection to the body can become corroded. That ground strap is usually at the bottom front right of the engine. It’s diameter is about the same as the red main power cable under the hood. Lastly, check the voltage at the main power connector on the starter itself. The voltage to the starter runs from the battery to the underhood jumper post to, amount other things, the starter. In the end the starter may be the culprit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got home from work. Checked everything you said and found the ground strap is completly green and black in some areas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts