BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
X3 OEM Roof Rack Problems? (Endcaps)

I have a 2006 X3 with the BMW Crossbars. Pretty much every X3 roof rack system that I see on the road is missing at least one endcap, and now my first one has finally blown off. Seems to be a design flaw (yes, even BMW is allowed ONE!) in that they come off very easily and don't seem to ever attach correctly. After spending an hour with the local parts department in Boston looking through the computer; the response seems to be "live with it, because we can't get a replacement cap seperately."

Just wondering if anybody else has tried to tackle the problem of getting a replacement cap. I know my neighbor finally gave up looking and put his two remaining caps on his driver side so at least one side looks good. :thumbdwn: I would love to get ahold of 10 or 20 so that there may be enough to get me through 3 years. LOL Also, has anyone found a way to make them stay on? I was thinking about trying to rig up a hidden velcro attachment inside the assembly. Man, do I hate having to use the term "rig up" when talking about a BMW!

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
I have two left, the others being somewhere between Ohio and Colorado. Now that I have converted to short skis completely, I really don't use the rack all that much anyway. :D

Cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
camp9423 said:
Also, has anyone found a way to make them stay on? I was thinking about trying to rig up a hidden velcro attachment inside the assembly. Man, do I hate having to use the term "rig up" when talking about a BMW!
I don't think I would trust velcro and it's adhesives to stay attached in an outside environment. I could see using a small link chain to attach the two. Drill a hole in the plastic on either side and use a short bolt, washers, and locking nut to attach them. You should be able to get all that from any decent hardware store.

I haven't lost any end caps yet but have noticed the poor design. Thanks for the "heads-up".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input! If anybody needs me, I'll be somewhere between Ohio and Colorado searching the roadside for X3 Skier's endcaps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way, don't even THINK about sending your X3 through a carwash with the endcaps on. Well, not unless you want to drag-tail back through the entire thing "picking up the pieces." LOL

Never had this problem with the BMW rack on my 2004 325i.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
You can order the endcaps separately, the parts guy at your dealership must be completely incompetent. "My" guy at VOB (www.vobbmw.com) managed to get me one in all of 2 minutes (actually ordered, took another 2 days to receive it).

Edit: Price was around $15...

I don't have the part # now, but I can post it for you when I get home tonight. :thumbup:

Or you can order it from VOB if you want...

adc
03 330 ZHP
05 X3 3.0 ED

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
adc said:
You can order the endcaps separately, the parts guy at your dealership must be completely incompetent. "My" guy at VOB (www.vobbmw.com) managed to get me one in all of 2 minutes (actually ordered, took another 2 days to receive it).

Edit: Price was around $15...

I don't have the part # now, but I can post it for you when I get home tonight. :thumbup:

Or you can order it from VOB if you want...

adc
03 330 ZHP
05 X3 3.0 ED
Please post the number. I could use two when I sell the thing.

Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Part number would be awsome! I suspected that the two guys at my dealership's parts department were somewhat dense. Thanks for the help!

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
No problem, boys! I'll post it first thing when I get home... :thumbup:

As a general rule, BMW has lots and lots of little parts and accessories that are somewhat hard to find. It pays to find a competent parts guy at a local dealership that knows all the ins and outs of the system and can find you the unusual bits. And every now and then, you throw him off some hard-to-find Euro-only parts, just to keep him on his toes. That way he tends to remember you well. :rofl:

adc
03 330 ZHP
05 X3 3.0 ED

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Endcap part #

Drum roll... it's called a cover cap: 82 79 0 306 965

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
camp9423 said:
I have a 2006 X3 with the BMW Crossbars. Pretty much every X3 roof rack system that I see on the road is missing at least one endcap, and now my first one has finally blown off. Seems to be a design flaw (yes, even BMW is allowed ONE!) in that they come off very easily and don't seem to ever attach correctly. After spending an hour with the local parts department in Boston looking through the computer; the response seems to be "live with it, because we can't get a replacement cap seperately."

Just wondering if anybody else has tried to tackle the problem of getting a replacement cap. I know my neighbor finally gave up looking and put his two remaining caps on his driver side so at least one side looks good. :thumbdwn: I would love to get ahold of 10 or 20 so that there may be enough to get me through 3 years. LOL Also, has anyone found a way to make them stay on? I was thinking about trying to rig up a hidden velcro attachment inside the assembly. Man, do I hate having to use the term "rig up" when talking about a BMW!
I'm a little cofused.The standard roof rack on my 2006 doesnot have cross members. Is this a add on rack your talking about? If so I don't know,as probably others toodon't know what the end cap looks like. Just maybe Crazy Glue might hold the end cap in place.
Good luck
cheers
vern

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
adc said:
As a general rule, BMW has lots and lots of little parts and accessories that are somewhat hard to find.
Right! I wanted the replacement piece for the ashtray to use a coin dump. Turns out it is called an "Oddments Tray".

Sounds like something British from Land Rover or the Mini crept into the parts catalog. :D

Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
vern said:
I'm a little cofused.The standard roof rack on my 2006 doesnot have cross members. Is this a add on rack your talking about? If so I don't know,as probably others toodon't know what the end cap looks like. Just maybe Crazy Glue might hold the end cap in place.
Good luck
cheers
vern
They are actually the accesory crossbars used (in my case) for mounting a surfboard attachment. Also used for ski racks, bike racks, etc. The end caps are made to come off, as they have to do so in order to slide the components in the end of the crossbars (european-type attachment system.) The problem is, they come off way to easy, and as the vehicle approaches terminal velocity (in this case, approx. 80 mph,) you see a shower of endcaps in your rear-view mirrors. :mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
vern said:
Good luck
cheers
vern
They are actually the accesory crossbars used (in my case) for mounting a surfboard attachment. Also used for ski racks, bike racks, etc. The end caps are made to come off, as they have to do so in order to slide the components in the end of the crossbars (european-type attachment system.) The problem is, they come off way to easy, and as the vehicle approaches terminal velocity (in this case, approx. 80 mph,) you see a shower of endcaps in your rear-view mirrors. :mad:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input adc.. you're the bomb!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Online Parts Catalog for X3

X3 world has an on line parts catalog at: http://www.x3world.com/

Click item number 13, under General Info & Guides. You can then enter the last 7 digits of your VIN to go directly to a parts catalog for your X3. The roof rack bars are under "82 UNIVERSAL ACCESSORIES"/"82 51 ROOF RACK SYSTEMS" or you can try going there direct by using this url:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=PA93&mospid=47794&btnr=82_1224&hg=82&fg=51

The cost is $10.60 each, www.pacificbmw.com may sell them at a discount.

FYI, my dealer replaced 3 caps that I lost under warranty:). I have since drilled a small hole in the back and screwed them to the cross bar. I used some black touchup paint to hide the screws. The dealer said BMW is working on a fix.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.