BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

As an X3 owner, how problem free has your X3 been?

• Highly satisfied. Scheduled maintenance only.

Votes: 42 63.6%
  • Somewhat satisfied - some minor issues have been experienced.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • Satisfied - but bugged by the number of problems.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Dissatisfied - would not recommend this model.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Very dissapointed - this is been a terrible experience.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
humanum est errare
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At the request, in another thread, here is a poll for all X3 owners to help guide readers on what they might expect as potential X3 owners.

Keep in mind, this poll's focus is on the problem free nature of the car, not its driving dynamics or whether you like/dislike the feel/look of the appointments.

·
humanum est errare
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Voted dissatisfied based on experiencing two leaky sunroofs. Water leaks with the amount of electronics in today's cars have to be problematic.

·
humanum est errare
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xspeedy said:
What the hell is what the categories? "Somewhat satisfied" means more satisfied that "satisfied"?
Sorry, bad choice of words. It's intended to be a mid-level satisfaction point, if that makes sense. Someone who would be more inclined to purchase the same model than someone who is only "satisfied".

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
As adc mentioned, the people on this board tend to be perfectionists. So thus, be reasonable and ask if the things that bug you are actually serious things that are a big detriment i.e no one wants a leaking sunroof whether you're perfectionist or average driver.

I voted highly satisfied despite one unscheduled problem, which was a clattering at idle that really doesn't mean anything except I'm picky and want my X3 to be *perfect*. (The dealer probably thinks I'm an as*hole but its under warranty)

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
The only real problem I had was that the fuel gauge flaked out after a few months. Supposedly, all it needed was a software update. On the anal side, the panorama roof rattled a little when open all the way.

·
Registered
341 Posts
well, i still voted highly satisfied though i have had one issue with my X3. the anti-trap mechanism on the passenger-side rear window as over-reacting, but the dealership fixed that easily at the same time i'd brought my X3 in for a recall.

still love my X3 and would recommend it for anyone looking for a small suv...

·
My Other Car Is A Bus
1,097 Posts
Love My X3

I vote "highly satisfied". My ONLY problem has been the door seals. I had them replaced and it made NO difference. I can tune it out most of the time. As previously mentioned, we here are picky people, and yet I can still ignore the door creaking. The rest of the driving experience simply overshadows it for me. I tend to get bored with cars quickly, and change very often. My X3 is approcahing 2 years and I still enjoy driving it every time. I am looking forward to my next X3 (lease is up 9/07) so that I can get a few more goodies. Sorry for the long post, but I am higly satisfied with my X3.

Sure, now everything will start to go wrong for me...

·
My Other Car Is A Bus
1,097 Posts
xspeedy said:
And I forgot to mention, for a small SUV, the fuel mileage was pretty poor.
How fast are you driving? Speed makes a BIG difference in mpg numbers. I drove to Boston (about 310 miles) at about 74 mph. On the way back I kept it around 67 or so. According to the obc I got about 22 mpg going and about 28 on the way back. When I reset the obc on the highway at about 65 mph, it showed 29 mpg. Now I realize that the obc tends to be about 2 mpg over actual, there's no question that going faster yields lower numbers. Most BMW owners probably drive faster, and are hard on the acclerator. The window sticker says you should expect about 23 mpg on the highway. I have seen many posts on this and another board indicating higher numbers on long trips. Finally, let's be realistic here. How many people buy a 40K BMW with fuel economy as a signifcant concern? Luxury suv and fuel economy-it's an oxymoron imo.

·
Registered
961 Posts
the only problem i had is with the bluetooth and that seems to work now

·
humanum est errare
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dima123 said:
the only problem i had is with the bluetooth and that seems to work now
So, did you go from a 325i to the X3? That's what we did. Traded a 2003 325i for our 2004 X3. BTW, also have a honda pilot (2003 EXL-RES) in our garage.

·
Registered
961 Posts
yea i had a leased 2004 325i for a 2 year lease...lease was up so i decided to go for the x3...so far the 2006 x3 has no problems other than bluetooth which I'm pretty sure my Treo 700p caused...

Yea the pilot is a good suv....its sips on gas

·
Registered
194 Posts
we’re satisfied but find it hard to believe BMW has not resolved the infamous squawk :eek:uch:
wonder if they have ever taken 1 back (lemon law) because of the squawk :flush:

·
My Other Car Is A Bus
1,097 Posts
judybe83 said:
we're satisfied but find it hard to believe BMW has not resolved the infamous squawk :eek:uch:
wonder if they have ever taken 1 back (lemon law) because of the squawk :flush:
Does the 'squawk' as you call it really rise to the level of a lemon law buy back?

·
Registered
194 Posts
x3ronnie said:
Does the 'squawk' as you call it really rise to the level of a lemon law buy back?
quoting AzNMpower32 " As adc mentioned, the people on this board tend to be perfectionists. So thus, be reasonable and ask if the things that bug you are actually serious things that are a big detriment i.e no one wants a leaking sunroof whether you're perfectionist or average driver."

Copied from Texas FAQ
How do I know if my vehicle is a lemon?
A motor vehicle may be declared a lemon if it meets all of the following conditions:
1. The vehicle has a serious defect or abnormal condition. Yes see #6
2. The defect or condition is covered by a manufacturer's written warranty. Yes
3. The owner reports the defect or condition to the dealer or manufacturer within the warranty term. Yes
4. The owner gives the dealer or manufacturer a reasonable number of attempts to repair the defect or condition. 3 attempts so far
5. The owner gives the manufacturer (preferably by certified mail) written notice of the defect and at least one opportunity for repair. Not yet
6. The defect or condition persists and substantially impairs the vehicle's use or market value, or creates a serious safety hazard. Market value
7. The owner files a timely Lemon Law complaint and pays the filing fee. Not yet

How many chances does the dealer get to fix the vehicle?
Determining how many chances a dealer has to fix a defect is easy. Simply see if you pass either the four-times test, the serious-safety-hazard test or the 30-days test.

What do the lawyers out there think?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm pretty satisfied with my car. I don't have it for very long, only about a month or so. The only quirk that bothers me, and it has been mentioned around before, is that the mirrors have a tendency to not go back to it's original position after putting the car in reverse and having the car's mirror tilt down for the parking aid. I can deal with it until my first servicing..

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,691 Posts
so far only 675 miles, but i'm very happy... save for the damn cat that already scratched my hood... man if i find that thing.....

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Shoof said:
I'm pretty satisfied with my car. I don't have it for very long, only about a month or so. The only quirk that bothers me, and it has been mentioned around before, is that the mirrors have a tendency to not go back to it's original position after putting the car in reverse and having the car's mirror tilt down for the parking aid. I can deal with it until my first servicing..
Try moving the mirror by hand to different positions and then set it up again to the settings you want. It should work, it did for me.
Good luck
cheers
vern

1 - 20 of 22 Posts